Name tags

Putterdude

Last month a friend of Cruise Critic posted about the lack of name tags on mail boxes on the Regal. Well I am happy to say they are back. I had the opportunity to ask Tony ......., the executive housekeeper about them or the lack of same. He confirmed that HO had asked that they not been printed for that cruise as an experiment. There was evidently a lot of negative feed back about their absence. He went on say that he thought they were back to stay but he could see the Captain Circle level being eliminated at some future time. He also said that he thought the tags were a bit of a cheat for his stewards but to his surprise when quizzed them randomly as to who was in a certain cabin he invariably got the right answer.

I actually kind of like them, I feel like I have arrived and they prevent me from trying to get into someone else's cabin. As for the CC level on the tag, it can disappear and it wouldn't bother me in the least. Anyone who feels their security or privacy is being impacted can simply remove them.

Edited by Putterdude

I've never really thought about it much before (mainly because I've only cruised once with Princess) but I guess I do find it a little unusual. It's like the people who "check in" at venues and events on Facebook... it says hey, I'm out and my home is unoccupied!

What info is actually on the name tag? Does it have full names on it?

I love seeing our names outside our cabin. It confirms that I am indeed home and that we are not in just another anonymous hotel.

I can understand you may prefer to remove it if you are traveling as a single or a mega famous super star but otherwise why does it matter if someone knows your name?

I've never really thought about it much before (mainly because I've only cruised once with Princess) but I guess I do find it a little unusual. It's like the people who "check in" at venues and events on Facebook... it says hey, I'm out and my home is unoccupied!

What info is actually on the name tag? Does it have full names on it?

It has first and last names of all in the cabin and Captain's Circle status.

Given the issue of identity theft,etc I find them an unnecessary risk merely for the sake of what amounts to vanity. If the cruise company chooses to continue the practice I am sure there are many of us that will continue to remove them.

Does it make you feel safer? Just wondering why. :confused:

I would probably feel the same as Aussieflyer. Why advertise that you are travelling alone to every random on the ship? While it is lovely to relax while on vacation it would be foolish to think that there is no chance of unsavory characters lurking in the shadows (yes, I know that was overly dramatic but I was trying to make a point :D)...

I would never put a sign outside my house saying "Hi, I live here alone" and I guess it's the same principle. Sadly we're living in a world were we have to protect ourselves from the lowest common denominator. I don't mind whether people want the name tags or not - I understand why people like them, and I understand why others don't but I think maybe my preference, just for me personally, is not.

We like them. Also like the colors to get a feel of the breakdown of passengers on the type of the cruise that we are on. But, the kicker is that DW would get lost if they weren't there. (Just to be fair, I find myself glancing at it when I am putting my card in just to make sure...).

If I didn't like it, I would just take it out of the slot.

Safe Journeys, Paul

... But, the kicker is that DW would get lost if they weren't there. (Just to be fair, I find myself glancing at it when I am putting my card in just to make sure...). ...

Door decorations solve that problem!

I would probably feel the same as Aussieflyer. Why advertise that you are travelling alone to every random on the ship? While it is lovely to relax while on vacation it would be foolish to think that there is no chance of unsavory characters lurking in the shadows (yes, I know that was overly dramatic but I was trying to make a point :D)...

I would never put a sign outside my house saying "Hi, I live here alone" and I guess it's the same principle. Sadly we're living in a world were we have to protect ourselves from the lowest common denominator. I don't mind whether people want the name tags or not - I understand why people like them, and I understand why others don't but I think maybe my preference, just for me personally, is not.

I guess I can't relate to those problems, especially on a cruise ship but if no door tag makes people feel better then like most everyone says- take it out.

I get irritated (not so much with this problem) but with a small minority of the public making everyone else conform to their demands when the solution is so simple.

To be honest, I've never took noticed the different colours. Are we referring to the colour of the logo on the left? I assumed they were all black like the printing, but I'll check that out on our next cruise.

Are the colours the same as the cruise cards?

I guess I can't relate to those problems, especially on a cruise ship but if no door tag makes people feel better then like most everyone says- take it out.

I get irritated (not so much with this problem) but with a small minority of the public making everyone else conform to their demands when the solution is so simple.

Actually since we haven't heard from all of the 10's of thousands of people who cruise each year no one here knows what the majority wants or if they even care one way or the other. Lol

What will make the cruise lines make a definitive decision is if it becomes an issue of money OR if someone litigates a link between having personal info made public on the doors and a civil or criminal issue that occurs against a passenger/customer OR if the insurance companies and/or lawyers say don't do it for CYA purposes.

Edited by mamkmm2

To be honest, I've never took noticed the different colours. Are we referring to the colour of the logo on the left? I assumed they were all black like the printing, but I'll check that out on our next cruise.

Are the colours the same as the cruise cards?

They are printed in color so yes, they are the same color as the cruise card.