Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

A couple of questions. Will be in Palma on Nov22 with a cruise. I was very interested in the train to soller, taking the bus out and the tram/train back, then walking back to port. That may be a challenge in the time we have. Your thoughts?

The car hire looks like a solid choice. Pick up near the port to enjoy the drive to Valdemossa & Soller, and try to catch both the Cathedral & Bellver before re-boarding. What is parking like near the Cathedral & the Castle? We're not driving on any other portion of our cruise, but with the distance between the Cathedral and Bellver not walkable, and the possibility of a lovely drive thru the mountains, I'm thinking a driving adventure might be worthwhile during our Palma Port day.

You will have no problem with your plan if you hire a car from Arash it will be waiting for you as you get off the ship the car will be opposite the entrance to the cruise terminal.

Go first to Belver castle only a short drive , then take the road to Valldemossa about 35/45 mins after you have visited the Monastery continue on the road to Deia 15 mis then on to Solller go first to Port de Soller stop for a stroll and a bite to eat.

On the way back to Palma Stop in on the town of Soller then take the the road back to Palma through the tunnel about 35 mins drive .

Plenty of parking around the Cathedral it is underground spend the rest of your time around the old part of Palma..

I just did this drive on Tuesday and it is a breeze !!

Sure you will have the best day ever with this plan.

You will have no problem with your plan if you hire a car from Arash it will be waiting for you as you get off the ship the car will be opposite the entrance to the cruise terminal.

I just did this drive on Tuesday and it is a breeze !! Sure you will have the best day ever with this plan.

Thanks for the quick response and for all the contributions to this thread. I would never have considered this option without your helpful information, but now feel confident we'll have a great experience. Booking was very easy and it sounds like the car location could not be more convenient.

Thanks for the quick response and for all the contributions to this thread. I would never have considered this option without your helpful information, but now feel confident we'll have a great experience. Booking was very easy and it sounds like the car location could not be more convenient.

If you still want to experience the tram go to the town of Soller ,park the car on the main road above the town and get the tram into Port de Soller and return the same way.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, Rogerb for responding. We will be arriving on the Norwegian Epic. Do you know which port we should be docking at? Do you happen to have a walking map? Appreciate your help.

Have a look at google maps and print off where you want to go to or look back through this tread and I am sure I gave some walking maps .

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

We will be on the Costa Diadema -- what port will we be docking at? I have read that "old town" is very close to the ports . . is this true for which ever port the Costa diadema docks? We would like to see the cathedral, go to the alley where the restaurants are ( and the tapas and paella) and then shop for locally made ceramics or souveniers . . . Is the cathedral within a 30 min walk?

We will be on the Costa Diadema -- what port will we be docking at? I have read that "old town" is very close to the ports . . is this true for which ever port the Costa diadema docks? We would like to see the cathedral' date=' go to the alley where the restaurants are ( and the tapas and paella) and then shop for locally made ceramics or souveniers . . . Is the cathedral within a 30 min walk?[/quote']

I have posted a map of the port you will see where Costa Diadema is docked it is a 30 min walk to the old town along the Paseo Maritimo which runs along the sea.

Once you reach the Cathedral you will find all the shops around the Born which is the main street.

The street that you mention where the restaurants are is at the bottom on the left, I would recommend Boveda which can be found on the sea front.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ports/75/Spain_port:PALMA%20DE%20MALLORCA

We were in Mallorca last year , our 3rd or 4th visit. The Cathedral is a must see. It is about a 15 Minuit walk from the ship. There were long lines waiting to get in, but do not miss it.

There are many shops & restaurants nearby.

Sorry to tell you it is 15 mins by taxi the distance is 3. 5 miles you must be a very fast walker !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi, I will give you 4 options 3 involve hiring a car :

(1) Car to Valdermosa to visit The Monastery where Chopin spent the winter then on to Deya Robert Graves the poet lived here then lunch in Soller and then Back to Palma to visit the Cathedral and old town Easy day out.

(2) Car to the caves of Drach in the N.E of the island there are many pretty villages on route .

(3) Car to Andraix visit the port of Andraix and then drive around the coast road to Soller then back to Palma.

(4) Train to soller for the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Roger,

You give lots of great suggestions but I have a question I haven't seen on here. Is there any decent snorkeling at any of the beaches? Or any snorkel excursion s? I will be there and if Oct 2018 on a cruise and after several days of sightseeing in Italy, I'd love a chance to recharge by lying face down watching sea life swim by! Will probably try to see the Cathedral first, and beach after. Our port time is 1pm-8p.on a Saturday.

Hi Roger,

You give lots of great suggestions but I have a question I haven't seen on here. Is there any decent snorkeling at any of the beaches? Or any snorkel excursion s? I will be there and if Oct 2018 on a cruise and after several days of sightseeing in Italy, I'd love a chance to recharge by lying face down watching sea life swim by! Will probably try to see the Cathedral first, and beach after. Our port time is 1pm-8p.on a Saturday.

Hi,

You will not be able to go on a long trip in the time you have available, but you will find some decent places within half an hour of the port.

Take a taxi or the No 3 bus to Illetas (this is where I live) look at the map and you will see an small island just off shore ,you can get right out to the island from the shore and is is good to snorkel on the far side of it (plenty of fish,squid and is very rocky).there is a nice beach bar and changing facilities.

https://www.google.es/maps/@39.5301143,2.5891659,15z?hl=en

If you need and other help ?

• 1 month later...

roger b - hope you are still around for advice!

we are seriously considering renting a car from Arash, as you suggest above, and doing something similar to this (which you also suggest above):

"Go first to Belver castle only a short drive ,then take the road to Valldemossa about 35/45 mins after you have visited theMonastery continue on the road to Deia 15 mis then on to Solller go first toPort de Soller stop for a stroll and a bite to eat.

On the way back to Palma Stop in on the town of Soller thentake the the road back to Palma through the tunnel about 35 mins drive .

Plenty of parking around the Cathedral it is undergroundspend the rest of your time around the old part of Palma.."

We are in port 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on March 10th. So we have a good amount of time. Is there anything else you would suggest we add? We have a 6 and a 10 year old and also two 20 year olds in our group (the rest are 40 and up). Anything you think the young ones might enjoy?

And finally, my sister-in-law really wants to visit a pearl factory. I think this looks horribly boring, but what are your thoughts? Is there one anywhere near where we would be if we took the route you suggest above? Is it at all interesting? She's a jewelry maker, so I get her interest, but I am just not at all interested and assume the kids will not be either. But there are 9 people in our group, so we might rent two cars and split up at some point.

Thank you!

Still alive and kicking !! I feel the pearl factory will be a bit to far from the route you have planned ,it is just over an hours drive from Soller to the pearl factory in Manacor ,if your sister in law must go as you wilĺ have to drive back to Palma on the route to Manacor you drop off there and let her go on (see google maps),if you want.

For the children on your route to Soller park your Car in Soller and get the tram into Port de Soller.

You have plenty of time just depends how rushed you want to be personally I would spend at least 3 hours at the end in Palma and forget about the pearl factory

Thank you Roger! I have another question for you. I've discovered that there will be an orange festival in Soller on the day we are there (March 10th). Do you know anything about this? I'm wondering how crazy it will be and if this means we want to avoid Soller. I'd be very sad to miss it, but don't want to fight the crowds either. March is not peak tourist season though, right? Might it still be okay?

This is the only place I can find any information on the festival, and it doesn't give many details:

http://live-timely-5a4b503fd0.time.ly/event/the-orange-fair-of-the-soller-valley/

Do you know any more about it?

Thank you Roger! I have another question for you. I've discovered that there will be an orange festival in Soller on the day we are there (March 10th). Do you know anything about this? I'm wondering how crazy it will be and if this means we want to avoid Soller. I'd be very sad to miss it, but don't want to fight the crowds either. March is not peak tourist season though, right? Might it still be okay?

This is the only place I can find any information on the festival, and it doesn't give many details:

http://live-timely-5a4b503fd0.time.ly/event/the-orange-fair-of-the-soller-valley/

Do you know any more about it?

Hi , It is usually in June , but I see that it might have changed to March, No Worries drive first to Soller and park your car either side of the main road its a 5/10 min walk into the center of the village get the tram into port de Soller and back.

It will be fairly crowded,but well worth it the main square will be lined with stalls selling island produce you could spent 1 hr walking around but well worth it to experience village life in Majorca

I have posted something of what it will be like..

petemain.co.uk/2017/07/22/walking-cycling-soller-mallorca-march-2017/

Edited by roger b
wrong spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread!!! Thanks so much for the local info Roger, what an asset to have a local on the forum who is will to provide such good info.

Lots of great ideas in here, but haven't seen anything regarding renting bikes/ebikes. Do you have any experience with any companies locally? Would a trip on bikes be worth it from the port to the cathedral/downtown? How about the other direction...riding the bikes to IIletas beach?

Any insight on the bike/ebike idea you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We are coming in on Symphony of the Seas in Late June if that matters at all.

Great thread!!! Thanks so much for the local info Roger, what an asset to have a local on the forum who is will to provide such good info.

Lots of great ideas in here, but haven't seen anything regarding renting bikes/ebikes. Do you have any experience with any companies locally? Would a trip on bikes be worth it from the port to the cathedral/downtown? How about the other direction...riding the bikes to IIletas beach?

Any insight on the bike/ebike idea you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We are coming in on Symphony of the Seas in Late June if that matters at all.

Hi, Here is my recommendations for a simple day tour around Palma .

https://www.seemallorca.com/reviews/seeing-palma-by-bicycle-696015

If you want go on your own you can walk from the cruise terminal along the sea front about 15/20 min and pick up your bike and there are dedicated cycle lanes everywhere.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187463-d1581670-Reviews-Palma_on_Bike-Palma_de_Mallorca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

Or if you are really lazy get the cycle company to deliver the bike to the cruise terminal.

https://www.mallorca-spotlight.com/news/2016/03/cruising-palma-bike

Edited by roger b
wrong spelling

Hi,

You will not be able to go on a long trip in the time you have available, but you will find some decent places within half an hour of the port.

Take a taxi or the No 3 bus to Illetas (this is where I live) look at the map and you will see an small island just off shore ,you can get right out to the island from the shore and is is good to snorkel on the far side of it (plenty of fish,squid and is very rocky).there is a nice beach bar and changing facilities.

https://www.google.es/maps/@39.5301143,2.5891659,15z?hl=en

If you need and other help ?

Is there a beach you can walk to from the port? Not looking to snorkel, just walk around town and enjoy the rest of the day at the beach.

Since you have lived there so long, what would you recommend doing on that port day? We have a family of 4 w/two young men (over 21). Thanks soo much.

quote=roger b;50293569]Hi , I have lived in Majorca for the last 20 years. Bellver castle is not really walk-able from the cathedral a taxi will be about 12 euros and they are plenty of taxis, the cruise terminal is about 35 mins walk along the the sea front. I can answer any other questions on Majorca