Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Personally  I would take your first suggestion  as this will give you much broader aspect of Mallorca,  October  is one of the best months to visit Mallorca  as the summer heat wiĺ have died  down by then.

The Spain tour ks a great day out and you will see a lot !!

• Like 2

You will not have time to make the train , my best advice is rent a car which will be waiting  for you at the port. 

Drive to Valdemossa,Deia and  Soller it an easy half hour drive back to Palma  ,it is well sign  posted, go to Valdermossa first and come back through the Tunnel from Soller .

You can make a side trip to Fornalux from Soller it is one of the prettiest villages in Mallorca.

Then you can eat in Palma I have given my recommendations  further back in the thread.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roger b said:

You will not have time to make the train , my best advice is rent a car which will be waiting  for you at the port. 

Drive to Valdemossa,Deia and  Soller it an easy half hour drive back to Palma  ,it is well sign  posted, go to Valdermossa first and come back through the Tunnel from Soller .

You can make a side trip to Fornalux from Soller it is one of the prettiest villages in Mallorca.

Then you can eat in Palma I have given my recommendations  further back in the thread.

Thanks!

We did this stop on our own and rented a car just outside the port near the HOHO bus stop and it was the best decision.  There is another car rental that will deliver the car to the port for you but I waited to long and they were all booked.  There was No waiting on train or guides.  We drove to Soller and then thru Deia it was raining so we did not stop then to Valdemossa which was amazing and we loved it!  Highly recommend renting a car. 

So here's the plan:  arranged a rental through Arash with pickup and drop-off at the port.

Ship scheduled to clear at 1 pm on Friday Oct. 4

•  drive to Valldemossa, visit monastery and Miranda des Lledoners

•  drive to Deia, visiting Miramar and Son Marroig en route

•  drive to Soller, visiting Casa Museo de Robert Graves en route

•  walking tour of Soller, including Picasso & Miro museums, Sant Bartomeu [will be closed], Banco de Soller, and Ca'n Prunera museum

•  drive to Fornalutx for views

•  return to port and have dinner on ship

[sunset 7:28pm; ship departs Palma at 10:30 pm]

I think this gives us plenty of time to see all the above [if we watch our time at the Valldemossa monastery] and still be on the main road from Soller by sunset.

We could have dinner in Palma at one of Roger's recommended restaurants, but I suspect we will be tired out from this full plate of sightseeing so we will just go straight to the ship where a 'free' dinner awaits us.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 1:21 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

So here's the plan:  arranged a rental through Arash with pickup and drop-off at the port.

Ship scheduled to clear at 1 pm on Friday Oct. 4

•  drive to Valldemossa, visit monastery and Miranda des Lledoners

•  drive to Deia, visiting Miramar and Son Marroig en route

•  drive to Soller, visiting Casa Museo de Robert Graves en route

•  walking tour of Soller, including Picasso & Miro museums, Sant Bartomeu [will be closed], Banco de Soller, and Ca'n Prunera museum

•  drive to Fornalutx for views

•  return to port and have dinner on ship

[sunset 7:28pm; ship departs Palma at 10:30 pm]

I think this gives us plenty of time to see all the above [if we watch our time at the Valldemossa monastery] and still be on the main road from Soller by sunset.

We could have dinner in Palma at one of Roger's recommended restaurants, but I suspect we will be tired out from this full plate of sightseeing so we will just go straight to the ship where a 'free' dinner awaits .

Sounds  like a perfect plan to me !! Try to park the car in the the first car park on the right as you come into Valdemossa,  the parking for Soller could be difficult .

I always  park either  side of the main road and walk down  in to Soller . In Palma put the Car in one of the public car parks if you stop there.

3 hours ago, roger b said:

Sounds  like a perfect plan to me !! Try to park the car in the the first car park on the right as you come into Valdemossa,  the parking for Soller could be difficult .

I always  park either  side of the main road and walk down  in to Soller . In Palma put the Car in one of the public car parks if you stop there.

Thanks for your help!

50 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for your help!

51 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for your help!

I will be in Mallorca in October  if you have any other questions email me , if you are using Arash make sure he leaves the car on the right dock as there are two places where your ship could dock.

5 minutes ago, roger b said:

I will be in Mallorca in October  if you have any other questions email me , if you are using Arash make sure he leaves the car on the right dock as there are two places where your ship could dock.

How will I know in time to tell him?

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

How will I know in time to tell him?

What ship are you on the biggest  ships dock at the new cruise terminal ,you could try asking on the  morning you dock and email  Arash he is only 10 mins from the port and you should be able to find out in the morning  before aŕrival then just email with where to leave the car, let him know in advance what you intend to do and you will have no problem. 

9 hours ago, roger b said:

What ship are you on the biggest  ships dock at the new cruise terminal ,you could try asking on the  morning you dock and email  Arash he is only 10 mins from the port and you should be able to find out in the morning  before aŕrival then just email with where to leave the car, let him know in advance what you intend to do and you will have no problem. 

MSC Seaview [>4,000 passengers]

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

MSC Seaview [>4,000 passengers]

Not sure where  this would  dock and also depends how many ships are in port that day ,you can look this up.

If there are more than 3 as you will be docking late I think you could be in the new cruise terminal..

You should be able to find by 10am on the day then email Arash.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, roger b said:

Personally  I would take your first suggestion  as this will give you much broader aspect of Mallorca,  October  is one of the best months to visit Mallorca  as the summer heat wiĺ have died  down by then.

The Spain tour ks a great day out and you will see a lot !!

Thank you, Roger!  I'll sign up for the Spain Day tour!

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, thanks for all the info!

Just to confirm..if we just want a beach day, for family of 6, we can catch a bus or taxi at the port, go to Illetas beach about 15 min away, which will have sandy beach, restrooms and food for purchase?  How do the loungers work, are they for rent for the day, owned by a resort?

Also, we will be there mid July, should the weather likely cooperate or should we have a plan b?  

13 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Great thread, thanks for all the info!

Just to confirm..if we just want a beach day, for family of 6, we can catch a bus or taxi at the port, go to Illetas beach about 15 min away, which will have sandy beach, restrooms and food for purchase?  How do the loungers work, are they for rent for the day, owned by a resort?

Also, we will be there mid July, should the weather likely cooperate or should we have a plan b?  

Yes you can catch the bus if you read back in this thread you will find the instructions to the bus stop, it is the No 3 bus  (2 euros)get off at the very last stop .

There are 3 small beaches in Illetas the one with the best facilities see below , the others are probably a bit quieter, you will not have to resort to plan b.

The beach beds are rented by the day and the beach restaurants are good and not expensive.

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/illetas-beach-palma-de-mallorca-illetes-(beach-resort)-664304  

4 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Thank you!  Do the 3 beaches have different names, so we go to the correct one in the link?  Or are they all Illetas?

When you leave the bus you will see the sea in front of you ,walk down a short hill about 25 meters ,you can then turn left or right the beach in the link is to the left about 50 meters  the other two are on the right down another hill  .

Roger, I need your help. We're in port on MSC's famous 1pm until 10:30pm schedule in May. We want to get to Soller and the Port de Soller and back, preferably by train and tram but a bus one way can be considered, as opposed to a car rental. How can we do this?

Thanks so much for any help you can give us?

9 hours ago, T.O.cruisers said:

Roger, I need your help. We're in port on MSC's famous 1pm until 10:30pm schedule in May. We want to get to Soller and the Port de Soller and back, preferably by train and tram but a bus one way can be considered, as opposed to a car rental. How can we do this?

Thanks so much for any help you can give us?

Your idea will work but first train you can catch is at 15.10 this would get you to  P de Soller by 17.30 .you could spend about 1/2 hours  and the get a taxi/bus back to Palma.

This not my idea of a nice day out but if you are desperate to take the train ride( a lovely trip). let me know and I will give a detailed plan to make it a nice as possible.

trendesoller.com/en/timetable/

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Palma-de-Majorca&lang=en

Thank you Roger. What would you suggest if we didn't take the train? I thought the train and tram is part of the excursion, with all it's beauty. I have tried to work this out a different way than you. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Take the 211 bus at 1:50 and arrive at the Port de Soller at 2:41.

Take the tram to Soller at 3:30 or 4:30 - time to wander

Take the train to Palma at 6:00 or 6:30 - arrive at 7:00 or 7:30pm - time to walk around or have dinner before going back to the ship. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Marsha

11 hours ago, T.O.cruisers said:

Thank you Roger. What would you suggest if we didn't take the train? I thought the train and tram is part of the excursion, with all it's beauty. I have tried to work this out a different way than you. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Take the 211 bus at 1:50 and arrive at the Port de Soller at 2:41.

Take the tram to Soller at 3:30 or 4:30 - time to wander

Take the train to Palma at 6:00 or 6:30 - arrive at 7:00 or 7:30pm - time to walk around or have dinner before going back to the ship. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Marsha

Hi Masha,

The 211 bus leaves Palma at 2 pm and arrives P de Soller at 2.45, you will have an hour to get to the bus station (Palma, Estación Intermodal (Plaza España))   (possible by taxi ) not by public transport as it will take time for the ship to be cleared by customs in Palma and you might not be able to disembark by 1pm, I would aim for the bus 2.30 pm. and take the last train back to Palma at 6.30 pm.

Apart from that  your plan look all good !!!

https://www.tib.org/documents/30683/410968/L211%2C des de 2019.04.01.pdf  

8 hours ago, T.O.cruisers said:

Thinking about a rental car again. It seems so rushy to cram it all in and make a 6:30 train back to Palma. We'd have a couple extra hours with a rental and it's still daylight. Comments?

It will not be sunset until 9pm in May,No problem hiring a car and you will get the lovely drive from Valdemossa to Soller .

Follow my car hire instructions in an earlier post, Valdermossa is an easy 30/40min drive from the port, to find your way follow these instructions as it can be confusing leaving the port.

take the bridge over the sea front road (Paseo Maritimo ) sign post to Andratx this will take you up on to a motorway come off at the first exit and follow road to the airport , you will the signpost for Valdermossa on this motorway.

See google Maps.