Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

6 hours ago, roger b said:

On the hill just beyond the entrance to the beach you will find a shop where you can purchase a set very cheaply you will see them displayed outside.

The best snorkeling is from the first beach I you look back one page I have shown 3 pics of the three beaches in Illetas it is the last pic , The shop is by the first beach shown is is only a short walk(5 mins ) between the tree bays.

Perfect - thank you for your quick response!

I think I understand both bus and taxi will be an option to go to Illetas, will those both be within walking distance of the ship?  Also, we are a family of 6, would we fit in 1 taxi/are there vans?

And, as our port time is 1300-2230, if we wanted to explore any small town areas are there any close to Illetas or the port?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

I think I understand both bus and taxi will be an option to go to Illetas, will those both be within walking distance of the ship?  Also, we are a family of 6, would we fit in 1 taxi/are there vans?

And, as our port time is 1300-2230, if we wanted to explore any small town areas are there any close to Illetas or the port?

Thank you!

There are no taxis that take 6 persons , but the bus (no3) is very easy it is a 10 min walk from the port and is found by crossing the bridge across the sea front road and following round to the bus stop costs 1.50 euros.

it will say Illetas on the front of the bus, best to spend the afternoon there and get the bus back into Palma when you are finished on the beach it will take you to the center of town.

18 hours ago, roger b said:

There are no taxis that take 6 persons , but the bus (no3) is very easy it is a 10 min walk from the port and is found by crossing the bridge across the sea front road and following round to the bus stop costs 1.50 euros.

it will say Illetas on the front of the bus, best to spend the afternoon there and get the bus back into Palma when you are finished on the beach it will take you to the center of town.

Thank you!

For paying the 1.50 euro per person, is that kids too?  And, do we have to have correct change, for example 9 euro for 6 of us?

4 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Thank you!

For paying the 1.50 euro per person, is that kids too?  And, do we have to have correct change, for example 9 euro for 6 of us?

You do not have to have the correct change you pay the driver as you get on the bus, kids under 5 travel free.

https://www.seemallorca.com/buses

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your help so far!  We are thinking about Illetas Beach.  Should we ask to be dropped off at Balneario?  Where do you think we have the best chance of getting loungers and an umbrella around 10am?

Many Thanks!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:26 AM, susanrobert said:

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your help so far!  We are thinking about Illetas Beach.  Should we ask to be dropped off at Balneario?  Where do you think we have the best chance of getting loungers and an umbrella around 10am?

Many Thanks!

Yes !! The best restaurant is on this beach if you can't find a sun bed it is a 5 min walk back to the next beach. If you do not have children and want something more up market go for below.

https://www.purobeach.com/es/beach-club-illetas/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roger / anybody else who can offer suggestions,

We're taking the bus from Palma to Puerto de Soller via Valdemossa because we've got 12 hours in port. We had hoped to eat there but because the bus service isn't very frequent we've decided we'll need to get back to Palma for dinner. Can you suggest a restaurant near the port or  the bus station where we could have dinner on a Monday about 7:00. My OH cant walk far. We'd like something relatively casual, probably tapas / similar. Any recommendations? 

1 hour ago, tartanexile81 said:

Hi Roger / anybody else who can offer suggestions,

We're taking the bus from Palma to Puerto de Soller via Valdemossa because we've got 12 hours in port. We had hoped to eat there but because the bus service isn't very frequent we've decided we'll need to get back to Palma for dinner. Can you suggest a restaurant near the port or  the bus station where we could have dinner on a Monday about 7:00. My OH cant walk far. We'd like something relatively casual, probably tapas / similar. Any recommendations? 

You will not find anything that I would recommend around the bus station, if you look back in this thread you will find my recommended restaurants in Palma,

for tapas in the town No 1 choice :

https://www.seemallorca.com/restaurants/gaudeix-restaurant-palma-de-mallorca-670381

No 2

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/ombu-tapas-bar-cocktails/

No 3

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/la-boveda-restaurant/

All are very close to one another

We are planning to rent a car as per Roger's instructions, drive to Caves of Drach and then back into Palma in the afternoon. Any recommendations on parking for a few hours in Palma while we explore on foot? It looked like parking at a mall such as the large El Corte Ingles might work . . . any other ideas?

We'd then plan to drive up to Castell De Bellver before heading back to port.

16 minutes ago, japlanet said:

We are planning to rent a car as per Roger's instructions, drive to Caves of Drach and then back into Palma in the afternoon. Any recommendations on parking for a few hours in Palma while we explore on foot? It looked like parking at a mall such as the large El Corte Ingles might work . . . any other ideas?

We'd then plan to drive up to Castell De Bellver before heading back to port.

The whole of Palma is covered with underground car parks , the one you are looking at is not the best choice. 

Go to the one down near the cathedral. 

19 hours ago, roger b said:

You will not find anything that I would recommend around the bus station, if you look back in this thread you will find my recommended restaurants in Palma,

for tapas in the town No 1 choice :

https://www.seemallorca.com/restaurants/gaudeix-restaurant-palma-de-mallorca-670381

No 2

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/ombu-tapas-bar-cocktails/

No 3

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/la-boveda-restaurant/

All are very close to one another

Sorry I missed your previous post roger but it's such a long thread!  Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll have a look at the menus! 

I understand there's a taxi app called cabify. Is that much use in Palma.Or will there be plenty of taxis when we get back to the station?  As I said my OH can't walk far. Finally would I need to book at any of the restaurants. 

12 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

Sorry I missed your previous post roger but it's such a long thread!  Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll have a look at the menus! 

I understand there's a taxi app called cabify. Is that much use in Palma.Or will there be plenty of taxis when we get back to the station?  As I said my OH can't walk far. Finally would I need to book at any of the restaurants. 

No Problem to get a taxi and yes I would book a table 

Thanks Roger. That's been a great help. There's too many other ships in the day we're visiting so we're getting out of town for most of the day. I sympathise with you. Edinburgh is the same this time of year

Edited by tartanexile81

I will be on Allure Of The Seas with my wife on June 2020 and we will visit Palma de Mallorca from 8am to 4pm. We will have our own walking tour to "Bellver Castle", "Palau de I'Almudaina", "Passeig des Born", "Placa de Cort" & "Catedral de Mallorca". Any comments & suggestions?

4 hours ago, tommycanon said:

I will be on Allure Of The Seas with my wife on June 2020 and we will visit Palma de Mallorca from 8am to 4pm. We will have our own walking tour to "Bellver Castle", "Palau de I'Almudaina", "Passeig des Born", "Placa de Cort" & "Catedral de Mallorca". Any comments & suggestions?

I have done this walk myself,  I would start by walking to Belver Castle as nothing will be open in the town also you will maximize  your time in the old town 

After I checked google map, I found that I can take bus "20" and walk about 15mins to "Bellver Castle". Then I can take bus '20" again to "Palau de I'Almudaina" and walk to other sights. Finally, I can take bus back to cruise terminal.

8 hours ago, tommycanon said:

After I checked google map, I found that I can take bus "20" and walk about 15mins to "Bellver Castle". Then I can take bus '20" again to "Palau de I'Almudaina" and walk to other sights. Finally, I can take bus back to cruise terminal.

Yes you can also get the No 3 which runs every 10 mins No 20 is less frequent , ask the driver to put you off at Placa Gomilla ,then walk up the hill the No3 stops at the top of the Pass de Born in Palma

Hello everyone, 

(I also posted this in the main forum group but this Topic has been very active and Roger has been very helpful with responses.)

We are on the RCCL Jewel of the Seas that is stopping in Palma de Mallorca on August 15, 2019 which happens to be national holiday in Spain. According to a website; " When is Assumption of Mary? The holiday is celebrated annually on August 15th....The Feast of the Assumption of Mary is a very important day in the Catholic religion. It is the principal feast of the Blessed Virgin, the mother of Jesus Christ." 

Does anyone know what will be open on this holiday in Palma de Mallorca? Also, will be there other events in Palma on this day to celebrate this holiday. We were planning on visiting Palma and also Soller on the 15th.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

7 hours ago, markpghpa said:

Hello everyone, 

(I also posted this in the main forum group but this Topic has been very active and Roger has been very helpful with responses.)

We are on the RCCL Jewel of the Seas that is stopping in Palma de Mallorca on August 15, 2019 which happens to be national holiday in Spain. According to a website; " When is Assumption of Mary? The holiday is celebrated annually on August 15th....The Feast of the Assumption of Mary is a very important day in the Catholic religion. It is the principal feast of the Blessed Virgin, the mother of Jesus Christ." 

Does anyone know what will be open on this holiday in Palma de Mallorca? Also, will be there other events in Palma on this day to celebrate this holiday. We were planning on visiting Palma and also Soller on the 15th.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Do not Fret, Most of the shops are open only the smaller one's will close, shopping centers , large stores , restaurants all open they want your hard earned cash !! 

Greetings - we will be on the huge Oasis of the Seas in Mallorca in September.  8am-4pm.  I know from reading many threads, that the walk from the ship to the cathedral is quite long.  Since we are in early, we'd really like to have breakfast somewhere that has local food/culture.  Recommendations of something not-touristy for breakfast?  From there, we'd like a beach, most beautiful one, to relax as it's our HONEYMOON!  Thanks for the advice!

7 hours ago, sunshine022 said:

Greetings - we will be on the huge Oasis of the Seas in Mallorca in September.  8am-4pm.  I know from reading many threads, that the walk from the ship to the cathedral is quite long.  Since we are in early, we'd really like to have breakfast somewhere that has local food/culture.  Recommendations of something not-touristy for breakfast?  From there, we'd like a beach, most beautiful one, to relax as it's our HONEYMOON!  Thanks for the advice!

Not an easy one to answer as the Spanish don't really do breakfast and you will have to be back to the ship by 3/3.30 so you would not have much time on the beach.

Since nothing opens here until 9.30 I think you will have to make a choice beach or the city.

Sorry I cannot think of anything romantic  beach wise as this stilĺ the tourist season  and  the beaches will be crowded for peace and quiet  try the Puro Beach club in Illetas. 

If you deceid on the town there plenty of places for a coffee and an ensmada my choice is a chain called cappuccino  they have a branch at the top of the town in the street  that is at the north end of the Paca Mayor in an old palace .