Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

On 8/9/2019 at 8:10 AM, Wiseone24 said:

Thanks! We have decided to go to Balneario Illetas.  For future reference, premium sun bed´s price is 28€ per person and includes towel rental, sunshade, mineral water and fruit salad. You pay upon arrival. They confirmed the reservation quickly via email.   This looks like a nice destination (right next to Purobeach) and much cheaper considering we'd only be able to enjoy the amenities until mid-afternoon. And the menu for the restaurant looks decent too! 🙂

How was your experience at Balneario Illetas?  We are currently booked at Puro for this coming Monday, but thinking of changing to Balneario because we can get in an hour earlier than Puro and with a short day in Mallorca anyway, trying to make the most of it.

28 minutes ago, sunshine022 said:

How was your experience at Balneario Illetas?  We are currently booked at Puro for this coming Monday, but thinking of changing to Balneario because we can get in an hour earlier than Puro and with a short day in Mallorca anyway, trying to make the most of it.

We had a really nice day at Balneario Illetas. We arrived early and they gave us our selection of chairs in the roped off area.  We had to remind them to bring the water/fruit but no big deal. The attendant made us a lunch reservation at their restaurant and called us a taxi to take us back to the port.  There was a gelato stand too and 1 cute shop that I popped into and bought a bracelet. We left by 3pm so I think it was great for the value of being there roughly 5 hours. But it may not be as private as Puro as there are non-paid sections on this section of the beach with people even just laying out on towels on the sand. But that didn't bother me as I had a chair facing the sea and the sun.  Oh and the water was nice. You could walk out far before it got deep and there wasn't waves. So would be great if you had kids too. 

Just now, Wiseone24 said:

We had a really nice day at Balneario Illetas. We arrived early and they gave us our selection of chairs in the roped off area.  We had to remind them to bring the water/fruit but no big deal. The attendant made us a lunch reservation at their restaurant and called us a taxi to take us back to the port.  There was a gelato stand too and 1 cute shop that I popped into and bought a bracelet. We left by 3pm so I think it was great for the value of being there roughly 5 hours. But it may not be as private as Puro as there are non-paid sections on this section of the beach with people even just laying out on towels on the sand. But that didn't bother me as I had a chair facing the sea and the sun.  Oh and the water was nice. You could walk out far before it got deep and there wasn't waves. So would be great if you had kids too. 

From the ship, did you just take a taxi straight to Balneario also?  Cost?  How long did the drive take?  Also, did they take a credit card at the restaurant or just cash?  Thanks much

17 minutes ago, sunshine022 said:

From the ship, did you just take a taxi straight to Balneario also?  Cost?  How long did the drive take?  Also, did they take a credit card at the restaurant or just cash?  Thanks much

Yes, there was a taxi stand at the Port and we took one straight to Balneario. I believe it was 15 euros total and the drive was about 15 minutes. Yes, the restaurant took credit cards. I had fish entree but my friend had a salad. The menu was pretty varied and different price points depending on your preference. There was also a woman doing massages on the beach, if that was of interest. 

Just now, Wiseone24 said:

Yes, there was a taxi stand at the Port and we took one straight to Balneario. I believe it was 15 euros total and the drive was about 15 minutes. Yes, the restaurant took credit cards. I had fish entree but my friend had a salad. The menu was pretty varied and different price points depending on your preference. There was also a woman doing massages on the beach, if that was of interest. 

Excellent thank you - I made a request for a reservation, will hopefully not be full yet as it is Monday we will be there!  😲

We were in Palma last week. We visited a beach we've been to a couple of times before from the ship - Cala Major -  it's closer than some of the beaches recommended on here. We caught a taxi which was cheap, but can get a bus directly there for only a couple of euros - we caught the bus back.

It's a nice sandy beach with very good facilities. Two loungers and a large sunshade which actually had a programmable safe attached, cost 19 euros and, unlike many beaches in the Med, lots of space between shades and loungers. The beach is sandy and the sea is clean. I wouldn't travel further to a 'beach club' type facility when you can do this for less price and closer to the port

• Like 2

6 hours ago, carlsbadguy said:

What are recommended things to do in November when it is not beach weather?

November here in Majorca is quite a rainy month , but you could get a sunny day , You can see all my ideas about what to do by looking back through this thread,Personally I would explore Palma lots to see and do and you will not be hampered by masses of tourists.

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/top-20-things-winter-mallorca/

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/palma-old-town/

Sending out an SOS to Roger  🙂 I had booked a tour with Spain Day tours for our October cruise, but it appears that the tour will be canceled as there are not enough people signed up.  Are there any other tour companies where a single person could join up on a tour?  Mallorca Private Tour Guides has added me to a list for a shared tour, but they don't have anyone else interested so I'm assuming that's a no-go as well.

I see some tours on Viator, but haven't ever booked through them so would prefer a company with a recommendation or first-hand knowledge.

HI!  Who is this Roger!  What a help he is to this board!  Was wondering if Roger (or another informed traveler) could rate my Mallorca plan. 

We arrive at 8 am on October 4 (Friday).  We plan to take free cruise shuttle to city center to see the city and church.  Then, hopefully catch a cab to a beach club.  Based on my reading that would be Balneario.  I have emailed them about reserving a sunbed.  Hang out there, enjoy the sun, and grab a taxi back to pier around 230.  Our ship leaves at 5pm.  Any flaws? 

THANK YOU!!!!

7 minutes ago, vizgal said:

HI!  Who is this Roger!  What a help he is to this board!  Was wondering if Roger (or another informed traveler) could rate my Mallorca plan. 

We arrive at 8 am on October 4 (Friday).  We plan to take free cruise shuttle to city center to see the city and church.  Then, hopefully catch a cab to a beach club.  Based on my reading that would be Balneario.  I have emailed them about reserving a sunbed.  Hang out there, enjoy the sun, and grab a taxi back to pier around 230.  Our ship leaves at 5pm.  Any flaws? 

THANK YOU!!!!

May I know which cruise company offer free shuttle from cruise terminal to city center?

4 hours ago, hiccups said:

Sending out an SOS to Roger  🙂 I had booked a tour with Spain Day tours for our October cruise, but it appears that the tour will be canceled as there are not enough people signed up.  Are there any other tour companies where a single person could join up on a tour?  Mallorca Private Tour Guides has added me to a list for a shared tour, but they don't have anyone else interested so I'm assuming that's a no-go as well.

I see some tours on Viator, but haven't ever booked through them so would prefer a company with a recommendation or first-hand knowledge.

Hi ,

I have heard good reports on the Co below ,but you might have to take a ships tour as you are on your own.

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/tour-valldemossa-and-chopin/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vizgal said:

THANK YOU!!!!

Hi,

Not much time for your plan to work as the Cathedral does not open until 10 am you will need at least 2/3  hours in the city, it will take 20 mins by taxi to the nearest beach, you will not need to book anything on the beach as it will be pretty empty in October. 

The sun is just about coming up around 8.30 so to get the most out of your day in Palma I would head for the beach first spend the whole  morning there and leave about 12.30 pm getting back into the city( the sea is still warm as I have just had a swim).

You can then spend the rest of your time there as you will only be around 10mins from the port.

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/la-seu/

https://balnearioilletas.com/en/

Edited by roger b
Wrong spelling

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi ,

I have heard good reports on the Co below ,but you might have to take a ships tour as you are on your own.

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/tour-valldemossa-and-chopin/

Thank you!  I wouldn't mind doing a ship's tour if it included a little more sightseeing.  So far the only non-Palma tours is one that goes to Drach Caves,  and another to La Granga Esporles Estate.

A group of people on my Roll Call have booked a tour with Mallorca Private Tour Guides, but they want to cap their group at 8.  There are some other people that have shown interest in a tour, but with only 3-4, it would be too expensive to book with them.  This company you mentioned might be able to work with a smaller group of people, based on their website.

6 hours ago, hiccups said:

Thank you!  I wouldn't mind doing a ship's tour if it included a little more sightseeing.  So far the only non-Palma tours is one that goes to Drach Caves,  and another to La Granga Esporles Estate.

A group of people on my Roll Call have booked a tour with Mallorca Private Tour Guides, but they want to cap their group at 8.  There are some other people that have shown interest in a tour, but with only 3-4, it would be too expensive to book with them.  This company you mentioned might be able to work with a smaller group of people, based on their website.

If you can find another ,three people from the roll call I would rent a car as descrbed in an earlier post. It is very easy and you can plan your day as you wish.

• Like 1