Christmas European river cruise that take 7yr olds?

Hi all!!! Long time no cruise (feb to be exact)

Mr I hate Cruise ships (my dad) wants to try a European river cruise over Christmas but no cruise line seems to take a 7yr old child.

Would you do this type of cruise with a 7yr old?

We are looking at going 15 December 2016.

Hi all!!! Long time no cruise (feb to be exact)

Mr I hate Cruise ships (my dad) wants to try a European river cruise over Christmas but no cruise line seems to take a 7yr old child.

Would you do this type of cruise with a 7yr old?

We are looking at going 15 December 2016.

If it was me, no I wouldn't do this type of trip with a 7 year old. River cruises are expensive. Not sure how much value a 7 year old would get out of one.

He won't get any value at all.

He loves the larger ships but it's dads birthday trip & basically me & my son are joining him.

The prices are very expensive & many I've contacted don't take kids

He won't get any value at all.

He loves the larger ships but it's dads birthday trip & basically me & my son are joining him.

The prices are very expensive & many I've contacted don't take kids

Could be because its not their target market and the people who book river cruises are looking for a child free environment. There are plenty of cruise ships that go out of Europe around that time that might be an option.

I just did a quick google and this is what I came up with:

Four of the most family-friendly companies are AmaWaterways, A-ROSA, CroisiEurope and Tauck. Families with young children can take a river cruise throughout the year. Other companies, such as Uniworld and Tauck offer a few family-friendly river cruises during the summer and winter school vacations.

Listed below is a summary of each river cruise line’s child policy.

AmaWaterways

AmaWaterways will accept children as young as 4 years old for its itineraries in Europe and Asia. No extra beds are provided, so children between the ages of 4 and 10 must be able to share a bed with the accompanying adult(s). Also see Adventures By Disney, AmaWaterways Add More Family-Friendly Departures in 2016

For Chobe River cruises in Africa, the minimum age limit is 12 years old.

Discounted Fares for Children: No

Special Programs or Facilities for Children: No

American Queen Steamboat Company

American Queen Steamboat Company will allow children as young as 6 months old; however, the company does not provide a crib or sleep accommodations for young travelers.

A-ROSA

A-ROSA is one of the most child-friendly river cruise lines. The company accepts children from the age of 2. Guests under the age of 18 must be supervised at all times by an adult who is at least 21 years old.

Discounted Fares for Children: Yes, children from 2 to 15 years old can sail for free in 2015 if no additional bedding is required.

Avalon Waterways

Children must be at least 8 years old to travel with Avalon Waterways. Children under the age of 18 must be supervised at all times by an adult who is at least 21 years old.

CroisiEurope

CroisiEurope allows children of all ages on its river cruises. Cribs or sleep accommodations for toddlers are not available onboard.

Discounted Fares for Children: Yes. Children between the ages of 2 and 10 receive a 20 percent cruise discount after deducting taxes, other additional charges and file handling charges. Infant and toddlers up to 2 years of age sail for free.

Emerald Waterways

Children must be at least 12 years old to travel with Emerald Waterways. Travelers under the age of 21 must share cabin with another adult who is at least 21 years old.

Grand Circle

Grand Circle allows children who are at least 13 years old on its river cruises. This company caters to guests who are 50+ years old.

Scenic Cruises

Children ages 12 and older are allowed on Scenic river cruises.

Tauck

Tauck Bridges’ itineraries are recommended for children who are at least 3 years old. All shore excursions have a minimum age rating assigned to them. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during all Tauck journeys for young travelers.

There are 3 Tauck Bridges’ packages available: 1) Castles on the Rhine: Family Riverboat Adventure; 2) Blue Danube: Family Riverboat Adventure; and 3) Bon Voyage! France Family River Cruise.

Special Programs or Facilities for Children: Yes for Tauck Bridges’ cruises. No for children’s facilities onboard the ship.

Uniworld

The minimum age requirement for Uniworld’s river cruises is 4 years old; however, the recommended age is 8 or older. The company features a few multigenerational cruises throughout the year. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult 21 or older at all times.

Uniworld offers a few Multigenerational river cruises during summer and winter school vacations. Packages are available for 3 itineraries: 1) Castles Along the Rhine; 2) Paris & Normandy; and 3) Classic Christmas Markets.

Discounted Fares for Children: Yes, 50%

Special Programs: Yes, special onboard and onshore activities are planned to cater to parents and grandparents traveling with young people.

Facilities for Children: Yes

Viking River Cruises

The minimum age requirement for Viking River Cruises is 12 years old. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult who is over the age of 21. The company states that it reserves the right to limit the number of passengers who are younger than 18 years old.

This came out of an article written in March 2015. So would have to be crossed checked with the companies direct to see if that is still the current policy.

Edited by icat2000

No I wouldn't take a 7 year old or even a 10 year old on a river cruise.

Not enough things to do for them and not enough areas to go to.

Very very different to an ocean cruise ship, in fact when people ask me ocean vs river I say you can't even try to compare.

Other than your cabin there is only the one large lounge area and depending on the weather the top deck might be open. I did Amsterdam to Budapest end of November in 2007 and the top deck was closed the whole time. So basically it was the lounge or the cabin. No where that you and William can go when he needs a bit of space and time out. The days are taken up on tours which are included in the fare for most companies. I did APT, loved it but definatley my grandaughters would have been so bored, they are now 11 and 6. They are experienced cruisers now and love the kids programs so I stick to P & O when I take them.

I really don't think a river cruise would be a good environment for William. As Tara Jane has said, there are very little public spaces on the river boats and at Christmas it will be too cold for any of the outside decks to be open. Also the itineraries are hectic, most of the days are taken up with full-on excursions, although you can do your own thing at some of the stops.

I think you really need to consider whether William would handle the river boat environment. I recall you saying that he loves to run around everywhere and there is very little space for him to run. Think not much more than the Centrum area of Rhapsody of the Seas for example.

Thanks for the information.

Maybe we might just stay in a few locations and take day trips around.

William loves the large Cruiseships. There is no where that he is happier but then again he's running around the ship constantly (so am I).

I'm thinking of watching for specials next year & doing a last minute cruise again.

Elisif, what about doing a Mediterranean cruise in December? There seem to be some 7 day MSC cruises, plus one on Norwegian Spirit. I had a quick look on a German TA website and they seem to be around 600-900 Euros per person.

Agreed a med cruise would be much better option.

Alternatively not a suggesion any mum would really want to do, but would you consider going with Dad, and leaving William with his father? Not ideal I know but I really think you would both struggle and not enjoy the cruise at all, as with all mums you want to have a happy child when travelling. It would be terribly confining for him. The boats are so small, only about 130 - 140 passengers.

Edited by Tara Jane

Might have a look at the med cruises.

The holiday is for a month & William only wants to be with me. He won't last with his father for more than a night.

The thought of sitting & relaxing sounds so good but I'd miss him terribly.

William loves cruising so much that I'd hate for him to miss out. He just loves his cruise ships.

I'm thinking with the amount of ships due here at the end of the year that there maybe some fantastic specials. If so I will take him again.

He asks all the time to go on a cruise ship....

Esilef,

firstly, I think you may find it hard to find a Christmas Market river cruise this late - most sell out 12 - 18 months in advance.

secondly, and please don't take this the wrong way, I think the other guests would probably shudder seeing a 7 year old board, unless, (it was one of the specific family friendly cruises) or if he is the type of child that can sit quietly and amuse himself during the down times.

From how you have described William in the past, I think a Mediterranean cruise would be far preferable for you all if you are seriously intending to go to Europe over Christmas and want to cruise.

Another option might be to take him on on of the whizz bang new ships like Ovation to experience all the new fun stuff on board.

Based on earlier posts I think you have custody for William (but please correct me if I am wrong) so leaving him for a month would not be on the cards. It's fantastic that he has taken to cruising so well.

Edited by Aussieflyer