Day Drives around Anchorage?

villager13

We are staying an extra day after our cruise and are renting a car for one day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good places to drive? Must see places since we only have one day? :) We have heard Girdwood and Alyeska resort are pretty neat places.

As this really doesn't have anything to do with Princess, I would suggest some research on the Alaska board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Sorry I thought I was posting on the Alaskan Forum. I have been switching back and forth between boards since we are sailing on the Coral in a couple of weeks.

To me, it would depend on where you pick up the car. If in Whittier, I would suggest a drive to Seward, or Cooper Landing. Along the way there are stops at Portage glacier, a near by fish viewing platform, an Alaska wildlife center, Alyeska resort and tram, sheep and possibly Beluga whales along the Turnagin arm to Anchorage.

That is a beautiful drive and would surely use up the day, you may have to leave parts out to squeeze it in. :)

Edited by bigchid

We are renting a car in Anchorage for one day and driving to Sutton to spend the night, and the next morning taking a three hour glacier trek with Mica guides. Can't wait! I'm sure we will also have plenty of photo stops along the way.

Are you renting the car in Anchorage or in your port. If port, then is it Seward or Whittier.

And what you are exact departure times? If you rent at your port and you don't fly out until the next night, then you almost have two days.

I think my top pick would be to drive up to the Matanuska Glacier.

Are you renting the car in Anchorage or in your port. If port, then is it Seward or Whittier.

And what you are exact departure times? If you rent at your port and you don't fly out until the next night, then you almost have two days.

I think my top pick would be to drive up to the Matanuska Glacier.

We are finishing our land tour in Anchorage so we don't get to the hotel until 7:00pm Thursday night when Princess drops us off.

We are picking up the car the next morning, Friday, and dropping it off Saturday at the airport. We fly out Saturday so we only have the car for 24 hours. Trying to maximize our time for sightseeing. :)

We are finishing our land tour in Anchorage so we don't get to the hotel until 7:00pm Thursday night when Princess drops us off.

We are picking up the car the next morning, Friday, and dropping it off Saturday at the airport. We fly out Saturday so we only have the car for 24 hours. Trying to maximize our time for sightseeing. :)

Where all are you going on your land tour? I don't want to suggest something you've already did on your land tour.

Some Photos from our trip last September:

149_zpstiwxobvw.jpg[/img]

Matanuska Glacier Did 3 hour hike with Mica Guides

215_zps20efaxpt.jpg[/img]

Only 6 people on this hike

2122_edited-1_zpsftcxtyxa.jpg[/img]

Kenai Peninsula Boat Tour out of Seward with Kenai Fjords Tours

591_edited-1_zpsgjvg9zxn.jpg[/img]

Tram ride at Alyeska Resort Hotel

We did a very long day taking in the Town of Girdwood, The Hotel, Wildlife Refuse Center, & The Portage Glacier. All of this & more just an hour away from Anchorage. Happy Travels, John

Where all are you going on your land tour? I don't want to suggest something you've already did on your land tour.

The land tour goes to Copper River, Denali, McKinley, Talkeetna, and Kennecott.

Edited by villager13

What did you wear! It looked like someone was just in a hoodie?

The last time I did a glacier hike (2010 trip), I ended up shedding layers all the way down to my tech tee. It all depends on that day's weather, and how much you're exerting yourself.

To Torybruno

This trek/hike was amazing & lots of education & knowledge provided.

Clothing is a tough answer because, day & time of your trek will effect conditions & what you will need. Just be prepared to layer. I took a small back- pack to place unwanted items during our tour. I was never cold & it was the last trip of the season in September last year.

If you would like more information or photos about out trip, please email me.

Happy Travels, John Honegger sfaigle@aol.com

I did a day drive once while on a working trip in Anchorage. Had to stay over weekend so packed a picnic lunch and drove to Glennallen and back. My father-in-law was named Glenn Allen so seemed appropriate. Great view of Matanuska Glacier and since it was early Spring there was snow at Tahneta Pass. Took a look at the pipeline at Glennallen then turned around for the reverse view.

Later after a cruise we rented a car in Seward and drove to Anchorage, tuned the car in at the airport and did a weekly rental for another one (much less expensive. Drove to Valdez, then Fairbanks (side trip by plane to Barrow) then drove to Denali area and finally to Anchorage via Talkeetna. It was a spectacular clear day at Talkeetna and the McKinnely was fully visible from the desk at the Talkeetna Lodge where we grabbed lunch.

On another work trip drove to Girdwood and took the tram up to eat at the Seven Glaciers restaurant - expensive but really good and outstanding view.