Tips $

pequinina

Figure $10 per person per day, regardless of age.

That's just cabin steward, waiter, asst. waiter and head waiter. Doesn't include baggage handlers, bus drivers, barwaiters, shore ex people, etc.

Hope that helps for a starting point.

Quick question on this topic with the understanding this is our first cruise. When you drop off your luggage before you park, I'm assuming there are porters there. Are they the ones that bring your luggage to your room or is that your room attendant? I wasn't sure if you would need to plan for a double tip (one at the parking lot and then again at your room when they deliver your bags) of if they will be handled by the same person.

Quick question on this topic with the understanding this is our first cruise. When you drop off your luggage before you park, I'm assuming there are porters there. Are they the ones that bring your luggage to your room or is that your room attendant? I wasn't sure if you would need to plan for a double tip (one at the parking lot and then again at your room when they deliver your bags) of if they will be handled by the same person.
You tip the porters when they take your bags, but you don't need to tip anyone for delivering them to your room, because you are unlikely to actually see or meet these people. The bags will just magically appear just outside or inside your cabin at some point between noon and midnight. :D

(hhmmm....that doesn't sound very clear. The porters who TAKE your bags work for the port. The workers who put your bags in or near your cabin are ship's employees who do various jobs around the ship.)

I like magic. :D That helps a lot actually. With all the talk on these boards about tipping, pre-tipping, tipping extra and who you tip and who you don't need to, my head was spinning. Actually, the fact that we are 12 days from sailing hasn't helped! Thanks for your answer!

Slam308 gave a good estimate. For bar waiters, the tips (15%) is added automatically to your bill and you don't need to tip seperatly unless you want to. For cabin steward, waiter, asst. waiter and head waiter, you can charge the recommended tips to you SeaPass account and RCCL will distribute to them.

Have a wonderful cruise!

You can make reservations for Chops and/or Portofinos when you board the ship either by phone or going in person to the restaurant. We tipped extra when we went to Chops and the food and service was wonderful..Well worth the extra $$$$, you will enjoy. Jill:cool:

I am going on the Mariner next month. Can you tell me what is the recommended tipping amount per person(total) for the week? Just trying to do my budget. Thanks.

The suggested amount for tipping (in RCI's own terms) is the same here in the UK as the US.. $10 a day per person as stated by the poster above. This covers the 4 persons onboard ship who serve you and is all you need to worry about.

Not mentioned, is the option You will have to purchase a prepaid package for your tips. This enables you to add them to your account, instead of paying cash, if you prefer. This also means that your tips will be divided appropriately for you between the four persons serving you in the dining room and cabin, so you need not worry about it. A voucher will be printed for each person, to represent your tip. The amount ($10 each person a day) will be added onto your seapass account. A letter will be given to you during the cruise explaining the suggested amounts and how they be dispersed. If you don't agree, and prefer to pay your tips personally in cash, you simply sign the letter and return it to a box at the pursers desk. If you would like for your tips to be automatically added to your account, and to pay with vouchers, you need to do nothing. A letter and voucher for each of the four persons serving you in the dining room and cabin, and an envelope for each with their title, will be placed in your cabin prior to your last dinner onboard. You simply need to place the voucher for each person in the designated envelope and hand to them at the final dinner. We chose to go along with the vouchers on our Med cruise and found it easier having the tips added to our account. We included a message of thanks in with each one. The crew members were also made aware in advance , that we had signed up for this method, So there were no worries that they had expected cash.

The bartenders and drink servers onboard, automatically have a 15% tip added onto the bill. The Ships Excursions are already massively expensive and I do not see (in my opinion) any obligation to tip, "As it is Their Services That You Are Already Paying For".. (unless special service has been given.) If you did, however, choose to tip, it would be a very nominal amount. In the end.. Tipping... is a very personal matter and meant to be ..a Reward... for a level of sevice.. You are the one to decide what sort of service you have received and how you choose to reward it. Hope you have a Wonderful cruise!

Archived