Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

Cruising the Baltic family style on the Celebrity Eclipse

e1daa2d4-2364-404d-b959-0fda5ed5ccd6_zpszh1o9vxz.png

This was our sixth visit to Europe , but this one would be different . We would be taking our oldest grandson , Tyler age 13 . We have always maintained a close relationship to him and his brother .

056-002_zpsadoignbm.jpg

He was just 3 when we first visited Europe , also on a Baltic cruise , on the NCL Dream . When we returned we told him stories of a far away place including the land where Thomas the Train , his favorite , lived . We promised to take him there one day , and so the time had arrived .

DSC05611_zps9vstb9d6.jpg

We would be taking the local train to our non stop flight from Miami to London

DSC05621_zpswzxzcwpj.jpg

We left in the late afternoon on Friday , June 3rd , the day after Tyler had finished school for Summer . Last stop MIA for our overnight flight to LHR .

DSC05623_zpsqgg3nmrn.jpg

Excited to read another of your reports. We are on the Eclipse in early September.

Thank you Larry . Our other thread may give more detail about the Eclipse then this one , but we will be borrowing some photos from the other one . :rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213388

Can't believe you've started the review so soon after returning home!:)

I can't either , but we some down time ( without any kids ) , and so we jumped on the free time . But that will change soon with both of our oldest grandsons here today and tomorrow ! :eek:

Excited to be following along with you again. Always love your reviews & only 10 weeks until we are back on Eclipse again [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Brilliant , it's great to have you back along . Which itinerary ? You may on the same cruise as Larry ( KikisDad ) . And thanks again for the hand washing tip , No sickness this trip ! :) :D

I have enjoyed all your reviews and am eager to share this trip with your grandson. thanks for all your work.

Thank you hazelmaye , and you're welcome ! I do enjoy sharing the photos as it makes it more interesting to me . But I must admit that I get some strange looks as I photograph food with flash ! :o

Tri rail looks good on paper and they had new cars but it wasn't our plan A .

tumblr_muhsx82MIh1r54c4oo1_1280_zpsptd9vpq9.jpg

As you can see it covers 3 counties and 3 airports and we rode it all the way from North to South . A problem is that it has no provision for luggage . And not long into the trip it became crowded and worse , there was a car accident on one of the crossings making the 2 hour trip , a 3 hour trip . Fortunately we had taken the early train and Tri Rail has completed the missing link , bringing them into the 21st century and getting us there on time .

DSC05624_zpshwjtbqsb.jpg

Story about the missing link :

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-tri-rail-miami-station-tour-20150402-story.html

So we had less than an hour's wait before boarding our flight .

DSC05626_zpshpvslc7o.jpg

We flew on Virgin Atlantic and it was our first flight on the Dreamliner 787 .

DSC05632_zpsl82aya2f.jpg

We had a frustrating experience with a popular online vacation site trying to upgrade to upper class and so we were seated 3 across , in the last row of Premium Economy .

DSC05634_zpsfvaph1j1.jpg

Where Tyler loved the interactive TV system .

DSC05649_zpswodnvzcu.jpg

ooh I think that was the same cruise we were on 5th June ? We are flying Dreamliner to Mexico in January Premium, was it good ? Looking forward to more review. I did a review but on the review page so it is still not published. We really enjoyed our Baltics cruise on Eclipse, hope you did too.

May is my favorite time to visit Florida. Do continue with your review.

Yes we do enjoy our May days in Florida , but we also enjoy the smaller crowds in many of the tourist areas like St. Petersburg , Russia . And typically , our reviews take months to complete ! :eek:

ooh I think that was the same cruise we were on 5th June ? We are flying Dreamliner to Mexico in January Premium, was it good ? Looking forward to more review. I did a review but on the review page so it is still not published. We really enjoyed our Baltics cruise on Eclipse, hope you did too.

Yes it was the same cruise . And yes we enjoyed the plane and flight - but the cruise even more ! However , we have been somewhat spoiled by past cruising and we do have some mixed and conflicting feelings which will surface as the narrative evolves chronologically .

Yes it was the same cruise . And yes we enjoyed the plane and flight - but the cruise even more ! However , we have been somewhat spoiled by past cruising and we do have some mixed and conflicting feelings which will surface as the narrative evolves chronologically .

Very much looking forward to more, I love how we all have different viewpoints.

Very much looking forward to more, I love how we all have different viewpoints.

Yes with so many different countries , and people from different countries on this cruise we did hear and see many viewpoints . Although this cruise had a more distinct UK feel than our previous UK cruises , which had both departed from Dover .

Our flight felt like a cruise because we received our menu before we left the ground .

DSC05641_zpsjji7bvzs.jpg

And the pre flight safety video made me think that we had boarded an astral plane by mistake . Cue the Moody Blues song " Legend of a mind " .

DSC05646_zpsd3fjzq2p.jpg

Dinner is served

DSC05651_zps6irw6dol.jpg

The Dreamliner has magic windows which can be dimmed by the passengers or crew .

DSC05653_zps3sgntmge.jpg

And no , this review hasn't gone in the toilet (yet) ! But there is more room and it is more humane then most others .

DSC05636_zps6wxom4nt.jpg

And almost before we knew it - we were there .

DSC05655_zpsry1iwmkz.jpg

I am enjoying another of your wonderful reviews. We sailed Eclipse to the Baltics last year in June and loved it. We got amazing weather except for the first day in Copenhagen. I am looking forward to reliving it through your eyes. Thank you for posting.

I am enjoying another of your wonderful reviews. We sailed Eclipse to the Baltics last year in June and loved it. We got amazing weather except for the first day in Copenhagen. I am looking forward to reliving it through your eyes. Thank you for posting.

You're welcome , and welcome back . :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2