Optional charges

Under Itemized Charges, I noticed -Optional Charges Prepaid Gratuities of $310.80. If it is optional do I have to prepay gratuities?? What happens if I don't like the service that I receive. If I never eat in the dining room do I have to leave tip for maître d?? :confused:

Prepaying your gratuities is optional. I never prepay. I always pay the gratuities when I get on board the ship. They are added to my sail & sign account then. So you can prepay or pay the same amount on board. The only reason I would ever prepay anything in life is if I get some kind of a discount for it, or if there is some concern about forgetting to pay it. But some people say that they sit & worry if they don't prepay the tips. I have never felt that worry even slightly, but they do, so they like to prepay. Some people think that they'll end up spending the tips money on other things and won't have anything left for tips if they don't pay it now. I set aside the tips money & don't touch it, so that's also not a concern for me.

In regards to whether you get poor service on board, you can adjust tips downward for poor service. But I heard that you can't do that if you prepay, only if you wait to pay on board (someone can correct that if I'm wrong). I personally have never felt that adjusting tips downward was warranted. The maitre d does not receive any of the tips. They have never been included in that. They used to provide an envelope for the maitre d to encourage an optional tip in cash on the final night, but not anymore.

The waiters are included in the tips, but even if you don't eat in the dining room, the waiters are still cleaning up & servicing you in different ways. The waiters work all over the ship. I have seen them working the buffet during the days & late nights. So I would leave those tips alone even if I didn't eat in the dining room.

Waiters serve in the buffet and during breakfast and lunch in the MDR.

We've only had really lousy service on only one cruise (not Carnival). Left tips in place, didn't tip extra and wrote up a scathing survey reply. The reviews are how contracts are renewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

MD tipping is totally optional. Unless they do something special for us we do not tip them.

They used to come around the DR asking if everything was ok but for last few cruises have not seen them except when walking into the DR.

The dining room staff count on the tips as a large part of the pay they receive. I hope you do not treat the tips as optional. I hope that is some sort of typo. If you see tipping as optional then maybe you need to evaluate whether you can afford to cruise at all. :mad:

The dining room staff count on the tips as a large part of the pay they receive. I hope you do not treat the tips as optional. I hope that is some sort of typo. If you see tipping as optional then maybe you need to evaluate whether you can afford to cruise at all. :mad:

I believe that the person who posted this was referring to the Materdie,

(probably used MD because it is impossible to spell.) NOT the dining room staff.

In regards to whether you get poor service on board, you can adjust tips downward for poor service. But I heard that you can't do that if you prepay, only if you wait to pay on board (someone can correct that if I'm wrong). I personally have never felt that adjusting tips downward was warranted. The maitre d does not receive any of the tips. They have never been included in that. They used to provide an envelope for the maitre d to encourage an optional tip in cash on the final night, but not anymore.

Although I've never reduced/removed the pre-paid tips, the policy on Carnival's website does say clearly that you can go to guest services and adjust the tips as you wish. The paragraph regarding the adjustment of tips is exactly the same under both the "pre-paid" & "on-ship" headings.

I wish there was a way to omit a particular person from the daily gratuities. On our 21 day Journey cruise, our cabin steward was HORRIBLE!!!! (Yes, I reported him to guest services and the hotel manager). The only reason we left the tips on was the dining staff, and they did a bang-up job.

I wish there was a way to omit a particular person from the daily gratuities. On our 21 day Journey cruise, our cabin steward was HORRIBLE!!!! (Yes, I reported him to guest services and the hotel manager). The only reason we left the tips on was the dining staff, and they did a bang-up job.

From what I understand you can omit categories of employees from the tips; however, what you would do is short his/her assistants who may have done at least a reasonable job for you.

May want to think a little before you start attacking people!

From what I understand you can omit categories of employees from the tips; however, what you would do is short his/her assistants who may have done at least a reasonable job for you.

If I had service that was horrible I would have omitted that category of tips and given a good explanation when I did. Then I would try to find his assistants and give them tips in person if I could, that is if they actually did a decent job. But I would not just leave his tip in if his service was so horrible that it was a detriment to my cruising experience.

Under Itemized Charges, I noticed -Optional Charges Prepaid Gratuities of $310.80. If it is optional do I have to prepay gratuities?? What happens if I don't like the service that I receive. If I never eat in the dining room do I have to leave tip for maître d?? :confused:

Hi, Queen. I am making the assumption that since you only have 8 posts, you are a newbie ... welcome! If you are not, please don't take offense.

On Carnival gratuities are $12.95 per day and are distributed by Carnival to the following categories of employees:

• Cabin Services
  • Wait Staff
  • Other (hotel staff, entertainment, etc)

In addition, they will add gratuity onto the purchase of all drinks.

It appears that somehow you elected to pre-pay the gratuities, that's why the appear in the "optional charges" section of your cruise documents. If you decide not to pre-pay them, they will automatically be added to your sign and sail card during the cruise.

You are not obligated in any way to tip other than the $12.95 per day and charge per drink. If you feel that someone has gone above and beyond, of course feel free to add to that amount in cash :) It is not necessary, IMO to tip the Maitre d' unless he performs some service for you.

The portion of the $12.95 that goes to the wait staff includes not just those who serve you in the MDR, but also those who work so hard on the Lido deck.

Edited by Schoifmom

I withheld a tip to a room steward who was lewd to my 16 y/o daughter who happens to be utterly gorgeous. He ticked me off. I told him several times to back off but he didn't. Reported him to GS and removed his portion of the tip.

I had one on Paradise that made my cabin the last of his day, maybe around 12:30 or 1pm. I spoke to him once telling him I'd be staying on the ship in port and would like early service. You'll be first I was told. Didn't happen. I didn't reduce his tip. He worked very hard.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

MD tipping is totally optional. Unless they do something special for us we do not tip them.

They used to come around the DR asking if everything was ok but for last few cruises have not seen them except when walking into the DR.

I apologize to you. I thought MD meant main dining room. It is hard for me to keep track of all the different abbreviations. For the people who tried to berate me I guess you have never made a mistake. I do not apologize to you.

Here's a novel idea.......why don't Carnival just pay their people a decent wage and add it to the cruise price, than you'd have no reason to get your panties bunched. I hate to be told what I'm going to tip. If the service is sub par my "GIFT" should be also without the hassle of a service desk visit. Workers behind the scene that I've had zero contact with should not have to worry if I get a case of the @ss and decide not to "GIFT" people I've had no interactions with. Gratuity is just a fancy name for fee, all fees should be up front. That would eliminate the grey areas in the tip/gratuity/fee word game.

As far as the convenience of pre paying- we like to pre pay them so we have one less thing to worry about when we get our final bill at the end of the cruise. But to each his own. As others have stated- gratuities goes to cabin steward team, all dining servers-including Lido/buffet, & misc other menbers of the staff. I also wish CCL & other cruise lines would make it a part of the cruise fare & eliminate it altogether. But they won't/haven't done that, so paying up front is a convenience for us.

Here's a novel idea.......why don't Carnival just pay their people a decent wage and add it to the cruise price, than you'd have no reason to get your panties bunched. I hate to be told what I'm going to tip. If the service is sub par my "GIFT" should be also without the hassle of a service desk visit. Workers behind the scene that I've had zero contact with should not have to worry if I get a case of the @ss and decide not to "GIFT" people I've had no interactions with. Gratuity is just a fancy name for fee, all fees should be up front. That would eliminate the grey areas in the tip/gratuity/fee word game.

It's $13 per day....you get all your meals cooked and served to you, get your room made up, vacumned, and cleaned....it shocks me at the level of cheapness some people display....they have no issue pissing away $100 on worthless trinkets in the gift shop, but will stand online at GS to complain about a lousy $13 per day for people who bust their arses to make sure others have a good vacation

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

It's $13 per day....you get all your meals cooked and served to you, get your room made up, vacumned, and cleaned....it shocks me at the level of cheapness some people display....they have no issue pissing away $100 on worthless trinkets in the gift shop, but will stand online at GS to complain about a lousy $13 per day for people who bust their arses to make sure others have a good vacation

YES!!! Awesome post.

I have a novel idea. You could find another vacation that suits the way you like to pay.

So at Christmas do you tell family what present they MUST get you? Once you demand what has to be given to you, it's no longer a gift. A tip is a gift you given as a reward for good service. I've no problem with that, if warranted. Why not just add that lousy 13 bucks a day to the cost of the cruise and call it what it is....a FEE. With your blind love for Carnival you've lost touch with Webster and the true definition of the word TIP. Also, I've never been to GS for anything, always pre-pay and tip everyone who does anything directly for me. I've never had a problem with any room steward and slide them a crisp Franklin on my way off ship, that way I know they've been taken care of. Carnival should pay it's workers a descent wage and be done with it.