Successful upsell! Thanks for all the info

Newfun4me

Hey All,

We are set to cruise Alaska on the Jewel on July 30. Based on what I learned here, I was able to get an upsell from Penthouse to Haven Owners Suite (for DH and I) and from a balcony room to a penthouse (for our son). We are pumped!!!! I wouldn't have known anything about this option without all the helpful folks on cruisecritic, so thank you so much!!!!! We can't wait for our cruise, although I'm not sure I'm going to want to leave the ship! This is only our second cruise (did not like the first one) and our first time living the suite life.

This is only our second cruise (did not like the first one) and our first time living the suite life.

I think you'll like this one [emoji6] . Hopefully, Alaska presents a better itinerary for your enjoyment, also. Have a great trip.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Yes, our last cruise was on Carnival during the summer and we went to Mexico. We had oceanview rooms (the only connecting rooms available at the time we booked and we needed those for that trip) and it was about a million degrees outside. You seriously couldn't even get close to the pools because it was so crowded. Dinner felt like a cattle call to us (just our opinions). We really didn't like it and DH said he would never go on another cruise. But - we're giving it another try and I think this experience will be night and day. :)

We initially paid just under $7000 for the penthouse room and paid $1000 more per person to upgrade to the haven. We paid around $5000 for the balcony and paid another $500 per person to upgrade to the penthouse. Alaska definitely isn't cheap!

Well, I don't think I read far enough... This could turn out to be more trouble than it's worth and I kind of wish I had just left it alone. We are traveling with 2 17 year old boys, so we couldn't "officially" put them in a room themselves. I am listed in a room with one of them and my husband is listed in a room with the other. So, my son and I will have haven access and my husband won't unless he trades cards with my son. Then he loses his drink benefit. Ugh. Or, we just won't really be using the Haven. It is stupid on my part, but I didn't realize you couldn't easily bring a guest into the Haven. Looks like that was not the best money spent... But, the boys will enjoy having a penthouse, I'm sure!

Edited by Newfun4me

Did you receive a call directly from the cruise line offering the upgrade or is there a phone number anyone can call to ask for upgrade? My last cruise I tried to move up to a better category/location but was told no changes within 30 days prior, but others seem to always get upgrades, so trying to figure this out for our next trip. Anyone know?

Looks like that was not the best money spent... But, the boys will enjoy having a penthouse, I'm sure!

Ending on a positive note. You get LIKE for that. Some who have experienced your situation may post with helpful info.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

We are traveling with 2 17 year old boys, so we couldn't "officially" put them in a room themselves. I am listed in a room with one of them and my husband is listed in a room with the other. So, my son and I will have haven access and my husband won't unless he trades cards with my son. Then he loses his drink benefit.
Explain the situation when you get on board. I'm sure the Haven staff have come across this before. You'll have to ask for extra keycards anyway so that your husband and one of the boys can get into the rooms they are actually staying in.

Thanks! I was thinking I could explain it and see if there is a way to work around it. Seriously, if not, no big deal. I was looking forward to the Haven part, but what I'm more excited about is the bigger room and we still have that. Plus, we were in an aft penthouse and, after reading more about Alaska, thought we might be missing out by not being in the front (not that I'd complain about either!!!). And finally, I just texted my son that he is going to have the butler privilege and he's stoked. So it's all good...

Now, the only complaint I have is that we are a full month away. I want to go now. :)

Did you receive a call directly from the cruise line offering the upgrade or is there a phone number anyone can call to ask for upgrade? My last cruise I tried to move up to a better category/location but was told no changes within 30 days prior, but others seem to always get upgrades, so trying to figure this out for our next trip. Anyone know?

I called the upsell department 31 days prior to our departure and asked if it was an appropriate time to talk about an upsell. They said it was and offered the upsell to me. I had been watching on ncl.com and knew that there was an Owners Suite still available so I was hoping.

I called the upsell department 31 days prior to our departure and asked if it was an appropriate time to talk about an upsell. They said it was and offered the upsell to me. I had been watching on ncl.com and knew that there was an Owners Suite still available so I was hoping.

We're on Holland America this Fall and I'm curious to know if there is a way to learn from the HAL site which cabins may still be available, as in the ncl example above. Thanks for any guidance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey All,

We are set to cruise Alaska on the Jewel on July 30. Based on what I learned here, I was able to get an upsell from Penthouse to Haven Owners Suite (for DH and I) and from a balcony room to a penthouse (for our son). We are pumped!!!! I wouldn't have known anything about this option without all the helpful folks on cruisecritic, so thank you so much!!!!! We can't wait for our cruise, although I'm not sure I'm going to want to leave the ship! This is only our second cruise (did not like the first one) and our first time living the suite life.

You didn't mention where the penthouse that your boys will be in is located... But before you get too concerned that you've made a mistake in the upsell...we've done the owners suite on the Pearl (very similar ship) to Alaska (deck 10, Haven privileges and access, but not on the actual Haven deck) and in all honesty, other than a brief walk-through, the Haven area was of no interest to us. We didn't find the pool there to be so wonderful (it's rather small, actually--as is the whole Haven area.) The owners suites are huge and since they include butler/concierge service, you can have all sorts of goodies/beverages brought to your suite anyway. Plus, all of the other amenities are the same, or better...!

Scenery is phenomenal...and is viewed from your own forward balcony, or your own side (covered) balcony if it's raining.

In all honesty...I'd be stunned if you didn't LOVE this cruise in these suites...! We just booked our third Alaska cruise for next summer...and yes, we took an owners suite--instead of one of the Haven penthouses.

I think you'll love the choice you made...hope you'll keep us posted...! :) :)

We're on Holland America this Fall and I'm curious to know if there is a way to learn from the HAL site which cabins may still be available, as in the ncl example above. Thanks for any guidance!

I've never sailed on Holland America, but what I did was basically go partway through the booking process online. Before actually submitting a payment, the website allows you to see which cabins are available in your chosen category. I just kept an eye on that.

You didn't mention where the penthouse that your boys will be in is located... But before you get too concerned that you've made a mistake in the upsell...we've done the owners suite on the Pearl (very similar ship) to Alaska (deck 10, Haven privileges and access, but not on the actual Haven deck) and in all honesty, other than a brief walk-through, the Haven area was of no interest to us. We didn't find the pool there to be so wonderful (it's rather small, actually--as is the whole Haven area.) The owners suites are huge and since they include butler/concierge service, you can have all sorts of goodies/beverages brought to your suite anyway. Plus, all of the other amenities are the same, or better...!

Scenery is phenomenal...and is viewed from your own forward balcony, or your own side (covered) balcony if it's raining.

In all honesty...I'd be stunned if you didn't LOVE this cruise in these suites...! We just booked our third Alaska cruise for next summer...and yes, we took an owners suite--instead of one of the Haven penthouses.

I think you'll love the choice you made...hope you'll keep us posted...! :) :)

Thank you! I really do agree with you. I was concerned at first, but I don't think it will be a big deal at all. I can't imagine us wanting to hang out in the Haven area all that often anyway. I think we'll be hanging out on our own balcony enjoying the scenery!!!! Our boys are booked in 9502. I'm sure they are going to LOVE it!

I've never sailed on Holland America, but what I did was basically go partway through the booking process online. Before actually submitting a payment, the website allows you to see which cabins are available in your chosen category. I just kept an eye on that.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you! I really do agree with you. I was concerned at first, but I don't think it will be a big deal at all. I can't imagine us wanting to hang out in the Haven area all that often anyway. I think we'll be hanging out on our own balcony enjoying the scenery!!!! Our boys are booked in 9502. I'm sure they are going to LOVE it!

Hello...! Aha...that WAS you that posted on another thread...asking about which sailing we're on...! :) We're actually booked for Alaska in 2017...but I saw that you're sailing soon...! :) Have a wonderful time...hope you'll post a review once you return...! :)

P.S...If you need any tips or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask...! We last did Alaska in 2014--so our memories of it are fresh...! :)