Oasis class no longer the most crowded at Sea

MSC is the worst nightmare to Royal

Phrasing?

What exactly does this mean?

MSC is Royal's worst nightmare

MSC is a nightmare compared to Royal.

MSC has nightmares about Royal.

Something else entirely... ?

Is Oasis class REALLY the "most crowded at sea"? Of course they hold the most guests but that doesnt automatically mean most crowded does it? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. I personally have found the oasis class to be less crowded then the freedom class. and I have sailed each one 2 times now( particularly since there are so many places for people to spread out).

I would think this op might have phrased it differently .. Like (Oasis class no longer the biggest passenger capacity cruise ship)

I was thinking the same thing. I personally have found the oasis class to be less crowded then the freedom class. and I have sailed each one 2 times now( particularly since there are so many places for people to spread out).

I would think this op might have phrased it differently .. Like (Oasis class no longer the biggest passenger capacity cruise ship)

I was also on the same page....it definitely doesn't feel the most crowded, just has the capacity to hold the most people. Like Clarea said, if they're holding that many passengers on a Freedom class sized ship, then I'm out!

Somebody posted awhile back the space to passenger ratio on Royal's ships...I wish I could find that. I *think* the Oasis class was one of the more favorable ratings?? Could be wrong on that though. To me, it's the neighborhood layout that helps the most by far.

One measure of crowds would be Gross tonnage to (nominal) passenger ratio. Of the 65 ships larger than 100,000GT, 35 are below 40T/Pass and 30 are above. All 14 of Royal's entries are above 40T/Pass. Queen Mary 2 is the highest (57.3T/Pass) and Carnival Vista is worst (33.8T/Pass). Of the 30 ships greater than 40T/Pass, they break down as:

14 Royal

6 Princess

5 Celebrity

2 Disney

2 MSC

1 Cunyard.

Somebody posted awhile back the space to passenger ratio on Royal's ships...I wish I could find that. I *think* the Oasis class was one of the more favorable ratings?? Could be wrong on that though. To me, it's the neighborhood layout that helps the most by far.

Gross tonnage is a measure of enclosed space. One way to compare ships is to divide GT by passenger capacity. The higher the number the better.

Allure = 225282/5400 (double occupancy) = 41.7

Meraviglia = 167600/4500 = 37.2

Liberty = 155889/3798 = 41.0

Empress = 48563/1840 = 26.4

Keep in mind that the Boardwalk and Central Park are not enclosed spaces so in theory they are not counted in the GT.

Numbers per Wikipedia.

Looking at the specifications:

MSC Meraviglia: Length-315.83 meters

Beam- 43 meters

Gross tonnage- 167,600 @ 30 tons per passenger Harmony: Length- 362.12 meters

Beam 47.42 meters

Gross tonnage- 226,693 @ 40 tons per passenger

Sounds like Meraviglia will be a sardine can, especially if it is not divided into neighborhoods like the Oasis class.

We have never felt crowded on Oasis class except during high elevator traffic times.

Edited by oneputt18

A video of the new MSC Meraviglia holding around 6000 paxs! Not in English....but thought most of you would find it interesting. Like that they have a partnership with Cirque du Soleil.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1128980517140342&id=340609235977478&_rdr

Oasis isn't anywhere near the most crowded class of ship. You might want to rethink your thread title.

Just because it has the most passengers currently doesn't mean it is crowded.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was also on the same page....it definitely doesn't feel the most crowded, just has the capacity to hold the most people. Like Clarea said, if they're holding that many passengers on a Freedom class sized ship, then I'm out!

Unless it's raining....