On board schedules & Spa reservations

astx813

Massages  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Massages

• Book in advance
    • Book on board
    • Don't bother

Sailing for Alaska on the ms Westerdam in a few months with my folks & girlfriend. It's not my first cruise, but it's the first I've been on with multiple "At Sea" days. I'm sure they'll do a good job of giving us things to do, but I have no idea what and I like to plan ahead.

After hauling luggage and dealing with the stress of traveling with my family, I think my girlfriend would enjoy a massage to help get into the cruising spirit. (And if she gets one, you can bet I'm getting one!) Our whole first day is at sea, so that seems like an ideal time. Do I book the spa now, or wait until we're on board so I know what activities will be going on that day? If I book in advance, can I reschedule on board or is there a penalty?

Sailing for Alaska on the ms Westerdam in a few months with my folks & girlfriend. It's not my first cruise, but it's the first I've been on with multiple "At Sea" days. I'm sure they'll do a good job of giving us things to do, but I have no idea what and I like to plan ahead.

After hauling luggage and dealing with the stress of traveling with my family, I think my girlfriend would enjoy a massage to help get into the cruising spirit. (And if she gets one, you can bet I'm getting one!) Our whole first day is at sea, so that seems like an ideal time. Do I book the spa now, or wait until we're on board so I know what activities will be going on that day? If I book in advance, can I reschedule on board or is there a penalty?

It's better to look at sea days. The chances of missing something earth-shattering are slim-to-none. Mostly, you'll be looking at cooking demos, drinks for discounted prices, etc.

As for a massage, it's your call entirely. I went on an Alaskan cruise in 2013 and had the misfortune of sleeping on the sofa-bed as I unfortunately was the 3rd guest sharing a room with my parents. I had a massage on the first sea day and that loosened me up, but the bed I was sleeping on made things just terrible for me. My back was aching for the remainder of the 7 day cruise, and that was saying something given I was 28 with history no back problems.

Perhaps the actual beds are better.

I feel for you, Aegis, but I feel safe in the assumption I won't share your fate. Fortunately for all involved, my girlfriend and I have a stateroom of our own. I suppose there's still a risk of being relegated to the couch, but only if I screw something up big time. (And getting us massages on day 1 should score me some brownie points!)