Need advice on ports and excursions

csz1984

We will be cruising to Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria, BC in September. I'd like to book some excursions in some and then just walk the city and look for local tours/things to do at some ports. Which are best ports to do that and which ones should we book? We like to kayak and are looking for some one of a kind experiences. Are the helicopter/glacier/dog sledding trips worth the money? Is it best to book through the ship in advance or wait to book locally? Which cities are the most fun to just walk around and explore? What are the must do's in each of these ports? It seems like several of the ports offer the same types of excursions so how do you choose what to do where?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!

If you look around this board, you will see each port is covered very extensively. Lots of info to be gained. There are MANY discussions about vendors to use instead of the ship. It is commonly done in Alaska.

Alaskan ports are pretty small, and easy to walk on your own. Victoria is a little ways from the port, so not as easy.

Whether or not something is "worth it" is a subjective decision only you can make. We can't make it for you. I will advise you that helicopter trips are very limited capacity, and sell out. So obviously some people think them "worth it". We certainly did.

You "must" do only what interests you. Not what we tell you to do. Again, some research on the board will identify what you are interested in. Do those things.

Everything depends on your interests of course. If you are into scenery, definitely check out the White Pass and Yukon expedition in Skagway. On HAL, it costs $200 and takes you all the way into Carcross in the Yukon, and brings you back on the train for all kinds of scenery.

Ketchikan is very small, in regards to the touristy stuff and it is also the southernmost port you will visit in Alaska. As a crow flies, it is about 100 miles away from Prince Rupert, BC and can get very rainy so pack an umbrella/raincoat, but if you're at all able-bodied, you could easily walk from dock 4 to dock 1 in 10 minutes or less at a slow pace, stopping to look at things along the way.

Same goes for Skagway. Think 3 parallel streets, 10 short blocks, not big city blocks.

If your itinerary goes into Glacier Bay, I'd say skip Tracy Arm. HAL wants $250 per person and although you get much closer to the glaciers on a much smaller boat, you'll see pretty much the exact same thing in Glacier Bay.

I would strongly recommend booking through the ship, rather than locally. If there is an issue, it is on the cruise line to ensure you are back on the ship regardless of any delay. If you book locally, you're catching the next flight to your next port.

Edited by Aegis1984

Here's some port excursion vids to give you some inspiration....

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]DXGMBuyRWoE[/YOUTUBE]

If you can't decide....

• look for combo tours where you visit more than one place. This saves time in not retracing back to the ship.
  • look at the "Best of ...." for each port. The cruise line has decided what the must see places to visit.
  • one technique I have..... visit the tour desk and ask what is the most popular or "near sell-out" and signup to be a seat filler. Basically you let your other cruisers decide for you.

Edited by xlxo

Have to disagree with Aegis1984. You do not have to book through the ship as you will find many experienced and reputable tour companies mentioned on this board and elsewhere. You should however book with them in advance so you can determine what you will be doing as well as your timing in ports. Some lower key local activities can be arranged last minute on site but if you are looking for more extensive tours or activities then pre-book.

If your itinerary goes into Glacier Bay, I'd say skip Tracy Arm. HAL wants $250 per person and although you get much closer to the glaciers on a much smaller boat, you'll see pretty much the exact same thing in Glacier Bay.

I would strongly recommend booking through the ship, rather than locally. If there is an issue, it is on the cruise line to ensure you are back on the ship regardless of any delay. If you book locally, you're catching the next flight to your next port.

I disagree entirely. Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay are entirely different experiences. Plus, the experiences from a small boat is entirely different from seeing glaciers from a large ship.

My most memorable tours have been with private companies. I have yet to hear anyone on this board say that they missed the ship due to their private excursion. These companies rely on cruise passengers and want to keep up their good reputation. Plus, I find some of the private excursions superior - some are smaller groups or they do more than what the cruise line tour does, or can be altered due to your interests. I have done both and there are definitely times when it makes sense to book with the ship (some excursions only work this way) but in other situations, I much prefer having 6 people on my tour compared to a bus of 50.

I too very much disagree with this "recommendation". Not sure what the support they have for this but, isn't what I have experienced in numerous trips there.

Tracy Arm is very different than Glacier Bay, and some HAL itineraries, your only option for sailing Tracy Arm is with this add on tour- the ship does NOT enter the fjord. Clearly- is no where near the "same", (has this person even been to both?)

The independent vendors in Alaska - doing your homework, can provide superior tours. There aren't reports of people missing their ships due to vendors. IF you choose to consider this- always fully disclose your port time, what ship you are on, and go with the vendor's recommendation for scheduling. The cruise ship contracts with some of the same vendors you can book direct. They are a BOOKING agent only, and do not run any tours.