Arcadia usb movie files on TV in cabin?

barriead

Hi all, hoping someone can advise please...

I am going on Arcadia for the Venice cruise in October and was wondering if I would be able to see movies from a USB stick on Cabin TV, I am aware the tvs have been upgraded on Arcadias last refit to larger screens and am hoping a USB stick would work....if yes does anyone know what format the files should be...mp4, avi etc?

I am so glad I found this forum as I am a novice cruiser, I did the northern lights cruise in March on Oriana and a 4 day Bruges cruise on Ventura in June, apart from missing Stavanger and St Peters Port because of weather issues (although St Peter Port was a strange one as weather was calm and sunny...lots of people upset about that) we have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I think my wife and I are now hooked.:)

Kind Regards

Barrie

Hi all, hoping someone can advise please...

I am going on Arcadia for the Venice cruise in October and was wondering if I would be able to see movies from a USB stick on Cabin TV, I am aware the tvs have been upgraded on Arcadias last refit to larger screens and am hoping a USB stick would work....if yes does anyone know what format the files should be...mp4, avi etc?

I am so glad I found this forum as I am a novice cruiser, I did the northern lights cruise in March on Oriana and a 4 day Bruges cruise on Ventura in June, apart from missing Stavanger and St Peters Port because of weather issues (although St Peter Port was a strange one as weather was calm and sunny...lots of people upset about that) we have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I think my wife and I are now hooked.:)

Kind Regards

Barrie

Glad you are hooked..it is very expensive.

As an aside I think Guernsey has problems with swell/tide/currents more than anything else. So although weather may look lovely the above is what causes problems with tendering.

Anyway back to the question in hand.

I think they disable anything that could have things plugged into them on the TV, probably due to transfer of viruses and also so joe blogs does not cock up the settings on the TV. Sorry

Hi Guys, many thanks for replies....have just found this on P&O advice centre:

"Aurora, Oceana, Oriana, Arcadia

These ships have both old (Viewsonic) and new (Samsung) televisions. You will only be able to plug any smart devices into the older style televisions as long as they have the following connections HDMI, VGA, S-Video, Component Video, Composite Video, Head Phone Jack, TV Antenna Input. The newer style televisions have a USB input therefore as long as you have this connection, you will be able to use them."

Not sure if that answers my question or not...but I am now hopeful:)

Mainly for my missus when I am watching Football in the sports bar which luckily is about the length of a movie, failing that theres always the cabin TV anyway so no real biggie.

Regards

Barrie

Yes USB stick works ok, my films are MP4 format. One bit of advice balcony cabins have the tv fixed to the wall so can be difficult to plug USB stick in. We solved problem by hubby pulling it slightly off wall and as I had smaller hands plugging in a USB to USB extending cable then just unplugged that cable before we left. Hope that helps.

Glad you are hooked..it is very expensive.

As an aside I think Guernsey has problems with swell/tide/currents more than anything else. So although weather may look lovely the above is what causes problems with tendering.

Anyway back to the question in hand.

I think they disable anything that could have things plugged into them on the TV, probably due to transfer of viruses and also so joe blogs does not cock up the settings on the TV. Sorry

Sorry to lead you astray with my incorrect answer, I was going from what had been posted in the past.

Hi Jayvee94, many thanks for that, really helpful, I will rip a few of my wifes favourite dvds and encode them to mp4, that should keep her happy if I am sport watching now and then.:)

Hi the english lady, many thanks for your replies, any info sent in good faith is always appreciated and helpful....far better to have a nice nature than be someone who only ever helps themselves. I do think you are correct re: connections such as hdmi and similar and that info will be useful to others I am sure.:)

Roll on October, I cant wait.:D

Kind Regards

Barrie

Barrie

Do please report back about this. Any USB cables that would be needed, file formats, do we need to change the TV input and how? etc..

We have 48 days on Arcadia coming up and we (meaning DW;)) will need our movie fix. We have worked out solutions for our tablets, but a full screen experience would be preferable.

Edited by SteveH2508

Barrie

Do please report back about this. Any USB cables that would be needed, file formats, do we need to change the TV input and how? etc..

We have 48 days on Arcadia coming up and we (meaning DW;)) will need our movie fix. We have worked out solutions for our tablets, but a full screen experience would be preferable.

Hi Steve, no problem my friend, will give a full update on how I get on.

I will take usb sticks (and a usb joining/extension lead as our tv will be on the wall...I think most of them are since the refit in 2013) of various size with mp4 and avi files ripped onto them and see how it goes.....October 22nd will soon come round once we get past July....not trying to wish my life away really...well maybe just the next few weeks.:D

Blimey 48 days eh....lovely...need lots of movies for that.:)

Kind Regards

Barrie

Edited by barriead

Barrie

If the tv is on the dressing table just plug USB stick and away you go. If doesn't recognise it immediately just switch TVs off and on again and select source from the side menu. Your films will come up on screen select the one you want and away you go. You can just plug the USB stick into the tv on the wall but it is very difficult as there is not much space and if you have one of the smaller USB sticks almost impossible, which is why I recommended a USB to USB cable once that's plugged in no more faffing about until you leave. It is sometimes prudent to also take a mini hdmi to standard hdmi cable in case it's an older tv. Provided your tablet is an android you can then watch your films on the tv also.

Edited by Jayvee94

Sorry to lead you astray with my incorrect answer, I was going from what had been posted in the past.

I tried to connect an iPad to the TV and that didn't work and I seem to recall others agreeing which may be what you were thinking of. Could be me being daft, will take a stick with films on in Sept!

• 3 years later...

I have just joined Cruise Critic and have been looking for help with watching DVDs on a forthcoming cruise to the Baltic in September 2020 on Arcadia.

I know it seems sacriligious to be watching videos when cruising the Baltic but my wife and I like to have a break during the afternoons and watch a film. On the other cruise ships we have had video on demand but that is not available on Aurora or Arcadia so we thought about getting a cheap DVD player and taking it with us to watch what we want, when we want.

I know this topic is a bit old now but wondered if there were any updates? The ship was last refurbed in November 2017 so the TVs may well have changed by now.

We will be in a Deluxe Balcony Cabin and most modern DVD players now seem to have HDMI connection leads.

Anybody been on Arcadia recently, or going soon, that's got any info or can get it?

We often take a small DVD all in one player and a box set of something just in case we get cabin time (weather etc) It's a cheapie that we bought as an own brand from that well known catalogue store owned by one of the supermarket chains, it's fine if you can put up with a small screen. They do come with a set of leads but as we always forget to pack them we haven't tried to connect them to the cabin TV.

Suites on Arcadia have DVD players, can't recall if the DBs do or not, on it next in July in a DB so can let you know after that if no one else comes back with a solution.  

Thanks for your response.

I have looked at an-all-in one before but I'll check out the one you mention. However I think we might struggle with the screen size. DVD players are now as low as £20 but I need to be sure that I get one that I will be able to use.

One of the problems on Arcadia is that the cinema is very small and they don't have video on demand in the cabins.

Thanks for the offer to have a look when you are next on Arcadia. That will be most helpful.

Edit: Just realised my cruise to the Baltic is 21 August not September!

Edited by Pine Man

10 hours ago, floatingpepperpot said:

Have you thought about shore excursions yet?

I did the Baltic on P&O Britannia about three years ago and did all the museums, Hermitage etc in St Petersburg on day one and a walking tour on day two. A fascinating place and probably my favourite cruise.

I'll probably do a river cruise or two this time in St Petersburg and probably do the other ports on foot without any excursions unless, of course, something catches my eye nearer the time.

Last time I was on Arcadia a couple of years ago I was in a deluxe balcony with my daughter and the TV was mounted on the wall; we had a bit of trouble plugging in a memory stick though we managed with the help of a usb double connector. Of course they may have changed the TVs recently.

Thanks for that info.

It appears that Arcadia last had a refit in November 2017 but I don't know if that was TVs as well. On the latest DVD players they seem to have HDMI leads but I'm not sure whether they will connect with USB leads as well.

What did you use the memory stick for? Was it movies?

Thanks very much for that information it certainly gives me options if I cannot connect a DVD player.

I have been trying out putting some films on a USB memory stick and it seems to work ok on my home TV. The problem is modern DVDs cannot be copied to a memory stick and those that can take up a lot of space.

A bit of a long shot but do you remember if there were any other sockets on the TV - small circular red, white and yellow ones, for example? Or even an HDMI socket?

Thanks again.

I have come up with a, sort of, solution in the event that I cannot use a DVD player, which remains my preferred option.

Clodia, above, reports that you can use a USB memory stick with a double connector, so at the moment I am proposing to use that unless Hampshire Steve, above, reports the existance of an HDMI socket on his next cruise on Arcadia.

I have found a lot of excellent programs on You Tube and, using a free computer program called 4K Video Downloader, I have been downloading them directly onto USB memory sticks. The files are very small and are in mp4 format.

Some of the programs I have downloaded so far are, Minder, Would I Lie To You, Fawlty Towers, The Good Life and Life on Mars. All terribly high brow of course!!

Checks using my own TV have provided excellent results.

Edited by Pine Man