Stay in Houston or Galviston?

Luxuriate

My friend and I are going to be on the Conquest May 14th. I assume we fly into Houston, right? Do you stay in Houston? Galviston? Do you rent a car? What should we do? We will be arriving the night before.

Thanks,

Cheryl

You will fly into Houston. You can pre-arrange transportation to Galveston through the cruise line. There are two major airports in Houston. One on the North side and Hobby on the South side. Hobby is only about 45 minutes from Galveston. The one on the north, I think it is called Houston Intl., is just over an hour away from the dock. There are several nice hotels in Galveston. The Gulf of Mexico is nasty in Galveston so don't get excited about staying on or near the beach. We prefer to stay in Galveston so that we don't have to mess with the Houston traffic the day we depart.

the airports are IAH (Bush International) and HOU (Hobby)

I also am researching this too, still uncertain the best way to go about it. I live 4-5 hours from Houston so i was debating on driving, staying with friends and leaving in one Van (7 people tons of luggage) Or..fly myself and stay at a very high priced, Jacked up mind you due to Spring Break, Hotel in Galveston. If you decide to stay on the island, reserve at least 3 months in advance at the latest.

You can stay in Downtown Houston and enjoy a baseball or basketball game if one is schedules, go to the Aquarium or enjoy the many fine restaurants and bars in downtown.

You could stay near clearlake and spend the afternoon at the Johnson Space Center. You can spend the evening on the Kemah boardwalk with harbourside dining and entertainment. You can go to the dog races in La Porte if you like to gamble.

You can stay in Galveston and enjoy a day on the beach. It isn't beautiful white sand but it isn't nasty either. On a Saturday in may the beach will be crowded. You can also stay in town near the cruise terminal and enjoy the restaurants bars and museums in and around the strand.

It all depends on what interests you.

You can find alot of information on the port of call board also.

I would stay in Houston as we were just in Galveston for two days and it is not a place I would ever go back to, it is dirty and the people are very rude.
That is not true.We were in Galveston for our precruise stay and it was nice.We went down to the seawall sunday evening and walked around.:)

You will fly into Houston. You can pre-arrange transportation to Galveston through the cruise line. There are two major airports in Houston. One on the North side and Hobby on the South side. Hobby is only about 45 minutes from Galveston. The one on the north, I think it is called Houston Intl., is just over an hour away from the dock. There are several nice hotels in Galveston. The Gulf of Mexico is nasty in Galveston so don't get excited about staying on or near the beach. We prefer to stay in Galveston so that we don't have to mess with the Houston traffic the day we depart.

You can also use a private shuttle service; it will be less expensive than Carnival transportation. There are threads you can find in this forum that can provide you specific information.

Why do you say the "The Gulf of Mexico is nasty in Galveston"? It is unclear whether you found it to be unclean, or don't like the type of terrain that composes the beaches, or the look of the water (muddy brown, not blue or green), or just what your objections are.

In my experience, Galveston can be a great place to visit. Just don't go there expecting it to look like the Caribbean. Many hotels there offer cruise packages that include free shuttle service to and from the pier, and for those driving in, free parking while you are on the cruise. We are staying in Galveston the night before our cruise just to enjoy the evening there overlooking the Gulf from our hotel room balconey, and we live in Houston!

I would stay in Houston as we were just in Galveston for two days and it is not a place I would ever go back to, it is dirty and the people are very rude.

As a former (as of June 2005) Galvestonian, I'm very interested in your negative experience on the Island.

Although I grant that the beach and water aren't going to win any "World's Best Beach" contests (mostly due to the water being brown because the bay empties silt into the gulf at the mouth of several rivers) the City works very hard to cater to visitors. Cleaning of the streets, beach, and public areas is ongoing on a daily basis, so I'm surprised that you found it "dirty". Where were you?

Galveston is a very friendly town, too...generally. Who was rude to you?

Instead of blanket statements, give us some examples!

City officials are constantly trying to draw more people to Galveston as a resort destination. They work hard to provide a safe and friendly environment for visitors.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and would like to know more detail.

Okay...okay...sorry, for the blanket "nasty" w/o detail.

After posting message the wife reminded me of a few of things that should have been included. I should have clarrified by stating that I was comparing the beaches and water to other destinations that we have visited (like you would know where we have been). Additionally, the past two times we visited Galveston it was after some type of mardi grais celebration. Trash was shin high in the streets and parking lots along the seawall. The beaches were littered beyond belief, but were cleaned up by the time our ship returned. Many of the stores and resturants were also dirty...maybe the party people were to blame. I guess I did not want someone flying into Texas thinking that Galveston had white sand beaches and beautiful blue water. My appologies to those that I might have offended.

As a former (as of June 2005) Galvestonian, I'm very interested in your negative experience on the Island.

Although I grant that the beach and water aren't going to win any "World's Best Beach" contests (mostly due to the water being brown because the bay empties silt into the gulf at the mouth of several rivers) the City works very hard to cater to visitors. Cleaning of the streets, beach, and public areas is ongoing on a daily basis, so I'm surprised that you found it "dirty". Where were you?

Galveston is a very friendly town, too...generally. Who was rude to you?

Instead of blanket statements, give us some examples!

City officials are constantly trying to draw more people to Galveston as a resort destination. They work hard to provide a safe and friendly environment for visitors.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and would like to know more detail.

We stayed at the Galvez, while a nice hotel the people who work at seem to be bothered by the guest, from the door men to the desk clerk not one had a smile or a nice thing to say. We went out to breakfast one morning and had so many nats that you had to wave your hands in front of your mouth before you ate to avoid getting a mouthfull of bugs. While I had a great time on the ship I would never sail out of Galveston agian it is just not what I picture when I think of a beach town.

Thanks for your clarification.

I've seen other reports on the Galvez's employees...sure wish you could have known her when the Mitchell family owned her. The Wyndham Group would do well to take into account the reports of unfriendly employees and change the way customers are treated, as word DOES get around.

Galveston can't do anything about the brown, muddy water, but they are trying awfully hard to grow into a resort destination again. Downtown is in the midst of a big revival and building is booming all over the Island.

Sorry your experience was bad.

Though Galveston does not host the most beautiful beaches on the coast, I find the town to be very quaint. The water is somewhat muddy but I would not describe it as "nasty" or "dirty". There are a lot of people who visit Galveston every day and I am sure city workers have their hands full with trying to clean up after those who refuse to do so themselves. And it is sad for the poster who said they encountered rude people. Sadly, you can find rude people everywhere anymore and it's a shame you have to do so when you are on vacation.

There are places to stay for every budget in Galveston. You can book rooms on Galveston.com. I've found this site to be cheaper than Travelocity and sometimes with the hotel's website. And they will tell you what hotels offer cruise packages as well. Another place to visit is the downtown area. There are some really cute shops and restaurants there.

I've had nothing but GREAT times on Galveston.

Last week, I stayed at the HOLIDAY INN ON THE BEACH. Paid $123 for my room, and that included free parking during the cruise and a round-trip shuttle to the pier. (Plus.... SALSA'S RESTAURANT is a short stroll away!)

As I was travelling alone that evening, this was quite convenient.

(The woman at the reception counter had a bit of a personality problem, but that was her problem....not mine.;))

I've had nothing but GREAT times on Galveston.

Last week, I stayed at the HOLIDAY INN ON THE BEACH. Paid $123 for my room, and that included free parking during the cruise and a round-trip shuttle to the pier. (Plus.... SALSA'S RESTAURANT is a short stroll away!)

As I was travelling alone that evening, this was quite convenient.

(The woman at the reception counter had a bit of a personality problem, but that was her problem....not mine.;))

That is where we are booked pre-cruise as well. Did you get free breakfast? I think that is part of our deal, but I made the reservation so long ago I can't remember! :rolleyes: How is the food at Salsa's? Is it a Mexican restaurant, as its name suggests? And, just in case we don't get free breakfast, are they open for breakfast at Salsa's? Thanks!

Anyone stay at the Best Western at Seawall?

Try this link for reviews of that hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55879-d126424-Reviews-Best_Western_Beachfront_Inn-Galveston_Texas.html

If it doesn't work just go to www.tripadvisor.com and type Galveston in the destination bar, next screen click on Galveston, Texas. The next screen will give you a list of Galveston hotels, scroll down to the Best Western & click on it. A page will come up with a bunch of guest reviews. Hope this helps!

Archived