Children in the Diamond Lounge?

I don't really have an issue with kids in the lounges but they should not be allowed to help themselves to the food. Kids love to pick up food, examine and put it back. Hygiene issues!:eek:

Agree with you, although I have seen adults doing the same thing!:eek: On our last TA there was a woman in the CL who would basically "eat" from the buffet, just pick something up with her hand, eat it standing there, and get something else.

On some of our cruises the CL/DL has been so noisy it has been almost impossible to carry on an adult conversation, and it was not due to noisy children!:D We often find it necessary to use our 3 vouchers to have a quiet, relaxing drink instead of using the lounges.

Sherri:)

Those are presumably service dogs and there's nothing they can do about that. They should be very well behaved, however. I saw a dog in a stroller on the ship yesterday (not in the DL, however).

But at least dogs don't take up seats.

But they do take up room in an elevator!. A lady with a Chihuahua in a stroller on the Explorer last week took up so much room that people were unable to get on. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how a Chihuahua in a pink stroller qualifies as a service dog.... But I guess I'm closed minded.

Always amazes me when people think "their" child is "well behaved and mature" compared to everyone else's child. Why would you even think it is a good idea to bring your child to a cocktail hour?! And I am sure these are the very same parents thinking their child is so "well behaved and mature" that no one will mind when they let them swim in the adults only pool area. Some of us cruising really enjoy having places and events on the ship that are adults only!

Well said. I agree!

Now sailing on one of the Royal ships in the Med, they say that RCCL changed their policy on allowing children under 18 in the Diamond Lounge as long as they are with an adult. Maybe we've missed something. In the concierge lounge the same, first night there were more children than adults😉

Carry a wooden spoon and bang it on a chair/table when they get near you. :D

But they do take up room in an elevator!. A lady with a Chihuahua in a stroller on the Explorer last week took up so much room that people were unable to get on. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how a Chihuahua in a pink stroller qualifies as a service dog.... But I guess I'm closed minded.

I guess you are. Two things that immediately come to mind are detecting insulin drops and detecting seizures. They don't need to be German Shepherds to do that. I'm not a dog person but have a DGS who has seizures so I deal.

To me it is about as appropriate having kids in a cocktail hour setting as it would be having me hang out in the kids club and chat it up with the teenagers. Why is it so hard to understand that some venues are not kid friendly, and during the evening cocktail hour this is one of them.

My kids did not want to hang out with a bunch of adults drinking booze anyway, not that we ever let them. If your need to get into the lounge and get your swerve on means bringing your kids so they can hang out there while you drink, it seems a bit selfish to me. My kids would have been bored to tears and had about 100 other places that were kid appropriate that they would rather be.

"I want to hang out in the Diamond Lounge and watch a bunch of old people drink" SAID NO KID EVER.

Yes! I totally agree.

Children don't have any C&A status until they are 18 years old. I remembered when my kids were young I waited for them to go to the kids program and then I went to the lounge. Sorry, some places on the ship still should be for adults only.

You are incorrect. Kids have C&A status after their first cruise.

I'm wondering what goes on at some of these cocktail hours that my child shouldn't see. Are people taking the name too literally?

To me it is about as appropriate having kids in a cocktail hour setting as it would be having me hang out in the kids club and chat it up with the teenagers. Why is it so hard to understand that some venues are not kid friendly, and during the evening cocktail hour this is one of them.

Trying to figure this out; what is happening that is so kid unfriendly? Naked Twister?

As dutiful rule followers everyone here arrives at the wharf on the first day at the time stipulated on their documentation. There is no trying to get onto the ship early to start the holiday sooner. As a suite passenger I get the earliest boarding time and I expect to get the facilities to myself whilst steerage passengers wait onshore until their allocated times. I come here after every cruise to complain when this doesn't happen - I get to complain a lot.

In reality I don't care at all. My point is that the crowd who want "rules" followed almost certainly don't follow the rules that they personally think are not important and in my experience the one I have mentioned is universally ignored.

The majority of the "rules" on cruise ships are there to pacify minority groups; they are a form of effective and cheap crowd control. When these rules are broken those in the minority mutter under their breath but rarely waste the time of staff on the ship.

These "rules" are seen for what they are by the majority of passengers. In the case of "adults only" drinking venues it will be an area where there is an unusual concentration of adults with some pretty sad social issues and disappointing family values; not everyone by a large margin but more than the population norm. If parents want to expose their children to an educational experience involving such adults then they are in free to do so.

If your daughter is under 18, I believe she still has to be with an adult even if she is diamond.

You are right and she has no desire to go there, but she is Diamond on her own and to many statements were made about kids not having status. She cruises with us and also with friends so she actually has "higher" status than we do. They only talk about kids getting the status of their parents. I have not seen any documentation on parents getting the status of their kids ;-).

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1

Why would you even think it is a good idea to bring your child to a cocktail hour?! !

Just about every venue on the ship has alcohol (Theater, dining room, pool area, restaurants, ice show, bars along the promenade ) and allows children. Why not the DL/CL/SL ?

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I think the push back is because history has the two lounges as the Play Ground for the Adults.

Well looks like some people just have to get over it.

If a kid is being an obnoxious nuisance the concierge should do something about it. Otherwise if a kid is well behaved, RC has said they are allowed now.

There are still plenty of adult only areas on the ship if that's someones main goal. But RC is a family line and, especially on the mega ships, caters to family style cruising. If you place a priority on an adults only atmosphere that is fine, but RC isn't the line for that. Just like neither is Carnival or NCL.

I'll be in the DL with my kid. If his mere presence upsets someone, that is their problem, not mine. If my kid if being disruptive or misbehaved, that is my problem and we'll get up and leave.

Edited by LMaxwell

Why do parents have disappointing family values just because they let their kids see adults drink alcohol? If adults are drinking alcohol responsibly' date=' there shouldn't be a problem with kids seeing that. And if the adults are misbehaving, it can be a good example to the kids of how they shouldn't behave and what happens to people who drink more than they can handle.

I think you're really stretching to call people who let their kids see people drinking alcohol bad parents. If the lounges are adults only, then I guess they shouldn't let kids in, but if it's not adults only, then who cares if kids come in during cocktail hour?

Have your kids never attended a nice dinner where wine is served? A holiday party? A summer BBQ with beer? Parents don't need to keep kids away from this venue simply because other people can't handle being around children.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Has anyone been in the DL on the Grandeur lately? What's the general rule during the day and during cocktail hour?

Rich

I sailed on the Grandeur in June, and they let kids in the DL. There were only one or two. They had an overflow out in the main lounge, but it was never so crowded (at least with the overflow) that there were no seats. My daughter (12) didn't go until the next to last day when she wanted to sit with me while my wife did other things. Wasn't any problem, and the other two kids there (who were probably around 7 & 10) were quiet.

Thanks, Steve. We'll probably play it by ear then.

One more quick question. Are kids allowed free non-alcoholic drinks like soda during cocktail hours or is this an adult-only benefit? Our last cruise was our D-qualifying cruise so we're kinda new at this.

Rich

Thanks, Steve. We'll probably play it by ear then.

One more quick question. Are kids allowed free non-alcoholic drinks like soda during cocktail hours or is this an adult-only benefit? Our last cruise was our D-qualifying cruise so we're kinda new at this.

Rich

Our kids were offered soda or some other non alcoholic beverage.

Edited by Ourusualbeach