Harmony of the Seas European Ports

Has anyone that sailed on Harmony, or any other ship, recently have any experience with booking tours directly on the piers upon arrival? I am not interested in booking through the cruise ship and know that in the Caribbean the tour companies, etc usually set up right inside or directly outside the port.

Is this the case in Rome, Naples, Barcelona, Mallorca, Florence and Marseille?

I will probably prebook a few tours direct with a couple companies, however, I would appreciate knowing if any of the above ports don't have tour companies near the pier/port.

I've been on Allure last year, and that's not the case in Europe.

We r DIY people, but some of the ports require driving very far (like Florence/Pisa, Rome, Amalfi Coast, etc.).

Tour companies at the pier r practically non existent, and, if u want to get back on time, I wouldn't risk traveling with a company which I have not previous info about their reliability and ability to get me back on time.

We hooked with others on our roll call for private tours, and in Marseille we took the shuttle offered free by the city, and in Palma there was a shuttle for 5 Euro return.

max'smom highly recommends romeinlimo --

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375608&highlight=jane

Had a problem doing private tours at any of the ports in question.

On most occasions you will not pay the taxi or the guide or the tour operator until they return you safely back to the ship.

If you are looking for a private pre book able tour company I highly recommend Romeinalimo.

Don't do Florence from La Spezia. I don't know why RCI markets Pisa and Florence as cities served by La Spezia, both cities are way too far from that port. We spent 5 hours in the van (round trip), for only 3 hours effective time walking in both towns. Forget about Uffizi or climbing Pisa's leaning tower. My suggestion is to book an independent tour before arrival and visit Cinque Terre, Portofino, or, just do Florence, don't mix it with Pisa.

RCI should dock Harmony in Livorno, not La Spezia.

Thank you for these suggestions. How is cab availability at the ports? For example, in Mallorca we want to just grab a cab to a beach. Are they easy to grab in all of these ports?

For Rome we are spending a few days off the ship and have booked a few yours already.

It looks like I will need to prebook anything and not just wing it on the pier.

Thank you for these suggestions. How is cab availability at the ports? For example, in Mallorca we want to just grab a cab to a beach. Are they easy to grab in all of these ports?

For Rome we are spending a few days off the ship and have booked a few yours already.

In Palma, Mallorca, we were easily able to get a taxi from the port, they were lined up, however our friends took the shuttle to town which was 5 euros I believe.

Don't do Florence from La Spezia. I don't know why RCI markets Pisa and Florence as cities served by La Spezia, both cities are way too far from that port. We spent 5 hours in the van (round trip), for only 3 hours effective time walking in both towns. Forget about Uffizi or climbing Pisa's leaning tower. My suggestion is to book an independent tour before arrival and visit Cinque Terre, Portofino, or, just do Florence, don't mix it with Pisa.

Totally agree about Pisa, very underwhelming.

Cinque Terre and Portofino from La Spezia is fantastic with a boat taking you there only a short walk from the port. Then take a train back (which are very regular) and about a 20 min station to port walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, taxis are lined up right outside the terminal building. Expect a 10-15 minutes wait. The port shuttle is the best option if you want to visit the beaches on the eastern side of Palma de Mallorca, from the shuttle stop near the Cathedral, you can take a cab and save some tens of euros.

If you you are planning to visit a beach on the western side, take a taxi from the cruise terminal, because the dock already is on the western side of the city.

Edited by Pipo

You will plenty of taxis in all ports offering tours.

In Palma there´s a shuttle offered by the port authorties for 5 Euro to downtown.

In Marseilles there´s a free shuttle within the port which is going to downtown.

In La Spezia the free shuttle gets you to the port exit. There´s a building where you do find various tours offered. They do offer minivan tours to Cinque Terre, Florence, Florence & Pisa and just Pisa I think.

In Civitavecchia you also have to take the free port shuttle first to get to the parking lot outside the harbor. There you will find various companies offering tours. There´s another 2 Euro shuttle to the train station (ticket to Rome is called BIRG for 12 Euro - includes public transportation in Rome).

In Naples there are many taxis right in front of the port building. There´s a big sign showing prices. Within walking distance to the left is the ferry port for ferries to Capri.

steamboats

There must be a reason why Harmony uses La Spezia and I'm wondering if it's due to her size? I was on Explorer last year and she used Livorno and this year's Navigator and Independence both use Livorno too.

In Marseilles there´s a free shuttle within the port which is going to downtown.

Just to add that the free shuttle at Marseille is provided by the port and it will get you nowhere near where you really wanted to go which is Vieux Port area. RCI does provide a shuttle to near Vieux Port but at a very steep (iirc) €25-30pp.

Rome and naples / pompeii romeinlimo is highly rated. You can also look at Can't be missed tours. they are not as costly but are group tours not private ones. However they include a guide in their price.

For Florence another option is joe banana limos. However they don't have guides included though their drivers willk full in info while you drive to Pisa or Florence. All these toys and their reviews are available online and booking is straight forward. Can't be missed tours now ask for prepayment

Sent from my SM-G850Y using Tapatalk

Just to add that the free shuttle at Marseille is provided by the port and it will get you nowhere near where you really wanted to go which is Vieux Port area. RCI does provide a shuttle to near Vieux Port but at a very steep (iirc) €25-30pp.

That´s not correct. The free shuttle ends close to Place de la Joliette. You can easily walk from there through the historic downtown area to Vieux Port. We´ve taken the public bus to Place de la Joliette last year (as the shuttle didn´t run every day last year).

Last year on the Allure the RCI shuttle was 23 USD (1.90 Euro for a single ride bus ticket on the public bus plus 20 min walking distance in port). I think I´ve read it´s 18 USD this year.

steamboats

There must be a reason why Harmony uses La Spezia and I'm wondering if it's due to her size? I was on Explorer last year and she used Livorno and this year's Navigator and Independence both use Livorno too.

When we were on Liberty we were due to dock at Livorno but it got changed to la Spezia. Anthem last year was la Spezia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, if you want one of the western beaches, the local bus is a good option.

We used the local bus to get to one of the beaches on the western side (Cala Illetas), it was cheap and reliable. But we had plenty of time because our stop in Marseilles was cancelled, and our visit in Mallorca was extended to midnight. I'm not sure if bus is a good option for those that leave on Harmony at 4pm.

I don't think size is the reason. Norwegian Epic docks in Livorno, and HUGE container ships dock there too.

Some fellow cruisers concluded that port fees are the reason. La Spezia must be charging less than Livorno. Is the only logical reason to sacrifice convenience if both ports can handle such big vessels.

Thanks for sharing the link. A great 1 page summary on the various shuttle bus information. I've printed it out and added it to my cruise docs!!!! I'm sure I'll get one on board as well, but it helps with planning.

Thank you for all of the help!

Out of Barcelona, Marseilles, La Spezia, Rome and Naples, which port(s) would you say have the best beaches for someone who has never been to the Mediterranean before (crystal clear water, nice sand, bar - crowds are ok to us)?

Booked tours so far in Rome and Mallorca but seeking a nice beach day in one of the ports.

Thank you for all of the help!

Out of Barcelona, Marseilles, La Spezia, Rome and Naples, which port(s) would you say have the best beaches for someone who has never been to the Mediterranean before (crystal clear water, nice sand, bar - crowds are ok to us)?

Booked tours so far in Rome and Mallorca but seeking a nice beach day in one of the ports.

Mallorca, hands down. Palma downtown and the beaches are exceptional.

Boarding in rome for western med cruise. When we dock in Barcelona what time can we leave the ship to tour Barcelona. Thx

The majority of the western Med cruisers embark/disembark at Barcelona, so it will be very busy that day. Disembarkation starts at 6:30 in the morning and you probably can get off at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk