Internet ideas please

Ok so I'm summarising.

Phone(roaming, data downloads can be a trap, but small-size convenient.

Small notebook, or I-pad accessing free wifi,no traps,but inconvenient because of weight size.

Is this correct.

Just stick phone on flight mode. You can still use wifi with it on.

On our last cruise I just used my phone's WiFi, as did DH. It worked fine. I kept everything else turned off once we left the last Aussie port.

Be aware that WiFi is not always free.

I've just read an article that says WiFi is not free at Starbucks and Macdonalds in Pattaya, Thailand.

I suppose with Starbucks it was never free as you needed to buy something to get the code.

Hi Mrs & Mrs

Assume you'll be spending a few days in Beijing prior to boarding the Golden? Not sure if you're aware that Facebook is not available in China. They have their own social media site. But Hong Kong allows it, plus there are free wifi 'hotspots' all over both Kowloon and the island. Info can be found here ... http://www.hongkongextras.com/internet_access.html

Be aware that WiFi is not always free.

I've just read an article that says WiFi is not free at Starbucks and Macdonalds in Pattaya, Thailand.

That's essentially true of most WiFi in cafes and restaurants, you don't get the password unless you buy something, and fair enough too.

It's "free" in that you don't pay for your usage in terms of minutes or Mb of use, although you might be restricted to an hour, or half an hour logged in.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I suppose with Starbucks it was never free as you needed to buy something to get the code.

I've often used theirs without needing a code, it may be less stringently enforced in some areas.

That's essentially true of most WiFi in cafes and restaurants, you don't get the password unless you buy something, and fair enough too.

It's "free" in that you don't pay for your usage in terms of minutes or Mb of use, although you might be restricted to an hour, or half an hour logged in.

Yes, often the free wifi in town centres may be restricted to a time or download limit.

I liked their coffee,reminded me of International Roast.:)

Reminded me of hot milk. I think they just wave the coffee over the top.

I know most aussie prefer stronger coffee to the yanks. Hence the training of staff on cruises out of oz on how to make a coffee to suit aussie tastes.

I think their coffee tastes like dirt but then I suppose it was freshly ground.:p

It does have caffeine in it though, and if you toss a short black down quickly you hardly taste it. Eat something afterwards to take any lingering taste away. :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Reminded me of hot milk. I think they just wave the coffee over the top.

I know most aussie prefer stronger coffee to the yanks. Hence the training of staff on cruises out of oz on how to make a coffee to suit aussie tastes.

Yes, Aussies have become coffee snobs, I have had cups all over the world and the only place other than Australia that does decent coffee was NZ and Italy.:D

Yes, Aussies have become coffee snobs, I have had cups all over the world and the only place other than Australia that does decent coffee was NZ and Italy.:D

NZ has finally got lattes right. For a while, some years back, they insisted on serving cafe au laits not lattes, and even when they did lose the soup bowl they used very, very tall glasses so the milk to coffee ratio was wrong. However we had excellent coffee last December.

Of course we have MicCanberra, that's why Starbucks didn't work here in Oz.

And while we're on the subject of coffee ... whenever DH and I head north to NSW on a road trip (we're Melbourne kids and are spoilt for good coffee ;)) as we get close to the Mighty Murray River we usually stop for a coffee break. DH usually looks at me, with a pained expression on his face and asks "Have we crossed the Murray yet? 'Cause judging by this swill we're certainly not in Victoria anymore!" He usually says that the barrista needs to get a set of crutches because the coffee is so weak! ;););) LOL, Sydney/Melbourne rivalry is alive and well with my 'beloved'. :rolleyes: :D

Oh, one other thing I just remembered. Some phones have a setting called "Mobile data" which, essentially, controls whether your phone can use data on mobile networks. Turn this OFF if you are overseas and take your phone off Flight Mode, otherwise you could still be hit with data charges when apps do their thing in the background. This is different to data roaming in that the phone isn't roaming to any available network, but is using a data connection to the network that you are call roaming to.

So you are saying take you phone off Flight Mode but icat2000 said to put on on flight mode?

So you are saying take you phone off Flight Mode but icat2000 said to put on on flight mode?

Sorry that was a bit confusing. :o

If you are overseas and choose to take your phone off flight mode, perhaps to send an SMS to someone back home for example, make sure that Mobile Data is turned OFF just in case one of those sneaky apps decides to access some data.

Most of the time your phone should be in flight mode when outside of Australia.

Is that better?