Internet ideas please

The trouble is that there is only 225 pollies (150 HoR members & 75 Senators)maximum in the house at the one time but there is the staff of several thousand that would go down with them.:(

Would it be worth it.?

Yep.

So we have sort of got off the subject of my nomination and running for Moderator of the Aus/NZ forumn.

So what do I bring to the table.

A good sense of humour, that can read between the lines, noting when a statement can turn a convo ugly, but the ability to obseve and step in when necessary.

By stepping in I mean openly, with a general comment,that neither demenes the speaker or the recipient.

The ability to talk street smart with-out fancy big words.

The ability to inject suttle and not so suttle humour.

The ability to be totally non-sensical at times,to which most fully understand,because they are probably just as crazy as me.

The ability to fully represent all posters,when I go on the free cruise conference.

The ability to be respectful,to all,young old,etc etc.

The ability to have such poor spelling that it even confuses spell-check.

So I say VOTE1

Traci-Lee

As your next representative.

thBCHN10VM.jpg.f9c1d00d69301e742149522061dfd78e.jpg

th28904TDM.jpg.29e2e9e8a5260447cf0880edf00c913c.jpg

thCYJ5MEQG.jpg.5084cab72b3ee558fe7d62f89ecac1c4.jpg

thLCKTP5JY.jpg.c630b3266fe3a735d27dec16534662ce.jpg

thXL5TYUFK.jpg.3cddab9d39f7df5c511221822e6894c6.jpg

Edited by mrs and mrs

But, and there is always a but, regardless of your, I'm quite sure lovely, outward appearance, do you have a hide like a Rhino?

Can you withstand the slings and arrows involved in, as my learned friend JJJ corrected me, herding a bunch of cats?:D

The trouble is that there is only 225 pollies (150 HoR members & 75 Senators)maximum in the house at the one time but there is the staff of several thousand that would go down with them.:(

Would it be worth it.?

It depends! If the staff are entrenched in the same-old-same-old bad ways then maybe. ;)

But, and there is always a but, regardless of your, I'm quite sure lovely, outward appearance, do you have a hide like a Rhino?

Can you withstand the slings and arrows involved in, as my learned friend JJJ corrected me, herding a bunch of cats?:D

It's not the slings and arrows that are the problem, it's the claws and teeth. :D

You are heartless.

All those tourists, security shop staff, cleaners and various public servants killed just to get rid of some pollies that would surely not all be even there.:(

Mrs Gut says I'm not only heartless but brainless too, so no strikes or heart attacks for this little black duck.

So we have sort of got off the subject of my nomination and running for Moderator of the Aus/NZ forumn.

So what do I bring to the table.

A good sense of humour, that can read between the lines, noting when a statement can turn a convo ugly, but the ability to obseve and step in when necessary.

By stepping in I mean openly, with a general comment,that neither demenes the speaker or the recipient.

The ability to talk street smart with-out fancy big words.

The ability to inject suttle and not so suttle humour.

The ability to be totally non-sensical at times,to which most fully understand,because they are probably just as crazy as me.

The ability to fully represent all posters,when I go on the free cruise conference.

The ability to be respectful,to all,young old,etc etc.

The ability to have such poor spelling that it even confuses spell-check.

So I say VOTE1

Traci-Lee

As your next representative.

Are you serious. :eek:

Have you been on the red wine again.:rolleyes:

OMG:eek:

I sthat what happened,i cant even get the empties into the wheeliet fbin.;)

I find it very embarrassing every second Monday morning when our recycle bin gets emptied. The sound of breaking glass echoing down the street is cringe worthy.

It's almost as embarrassing when the courier delivers our red wine 3 cases at a time.

I did a South Pacific Cruise recently and did a bit of research regarding what internet options were available so that I could use my iPad while overseas. This post will be a bit long winded but please bear with me to the end, as I think the whole situation needs to be explained from woe to go.

I have a Telstra prepaid sim in my iPad and purchase Telstra Data Passes to use for Internet access while in Australia. I always purchase the largest data pass which is $140 for 16GB with a 2 year expiry. The data allowance in this pass generally doesn't quite last me 12 months so I usually purchase 2 in a 12 month period. As I use this pass my data about decreases, but the value of credit, ie $140 does not. When I top up the next time, generally before I have completely run out of data, my credit balance then increases by another $140. So, I topped up just before I cruised the last time and my credit balance was $280.

I can't really understand how this works, because I would assume when you have used the first 16GB of data, the credit that you purchased it with would disappear also. However, that isn't the case. Weird right?

Now Telstra also offer international data passes that I can use on the prepaid iPad overseas. The values are $29 for 100MB, $85 for 300MB and $160 for 600MB. You must have enough credit on your prepaid iPad sim to pay for whichever value you choose to purchase. All of these passes are valid for 30 days from the date of purchase. The day before my cruise I purchased a $160 international data pass from within telstras 24x7 app, reducing my credit balance to $120. My existing data did not alter. The great thing is it didn't actually cost me anything. I had already spent the money to buy my Australian data, which I had already used half of anyway.

The cruise was only for 14 days and I was worried 600MB was only a tiny amount, however in the end I only ended up using 294 MB. I made sure I went into the mobile data setting on the iPad and turned off any apps I thought might try to access the Internet to reduce consumption. I think I also turned off iOS auto update. I also reset my usage statistics so that I could see how much data I was using. From memory I think I only turned on data roaming when I was using the iPad and the rest of the time left it in flight mode. I was actually surprised how little data I used. I checked email, sent some emails, used Apple messaging, checked and posted to Facebook, including some photos, and did a bit of web browsing.

I was only able to use it when the ship was in port or close to port, as when out of port it would connect to cellular at sea, and knowing how expensive that is I didn't want to go there.

In the end I wished I had only bought the 300MB pass, but hey, it didn't cost me anything anyway and it's not like I could use the credit for anything else.

You can go to Telstra's website and check to see if data roaming is available for prepaid broadband in the countries you are visiting also. As for my phone, I just turned it on occasionally to check for texts which on Telstra prepaid were free to receive and I think I might have sent the occasional text as well which was also fairly inexpensive.

I hope this info might be of use to another fellow cruiser. Just a word of warning.....be careful you don't deactivate your cruise card with your phone or iPad. I did this a few times unfortunately and had to front up to guest services for a replacement.😀

Regards

Melissa

Just a word of warning.....be careful you don't deactivate your cruise card with your phone or iPad. I did this a few times unfortunately and had to front up to guest services for a replacement.😀

RegardsMelissa

Thanks for your great summary, That is a good tip to pass on about the cruise card. I have also heard that if anyone has a pacemaker, it does not pay to keep it in a shirt pocket.;)

Can I please ask a bit of clarification re phones.

I have a Nokia Lumia (windows) and I don't even know if it is a smart phone, no idea what a smart phone is but it certainly isn't owned by a smart person! It is a pre-paid and I recharge every 2 months with a $30 recharge coupon.

Am I reading correctly that I can have it on flight mode and still use the free wifi? The hotels I am at on my post cruise travels all have free wifi. Will sms messages come through even though the phone is in flight mode? Can I send sms when the phone is in flight mode?

I will be cruising around Japan then 2 weeks land travelling. Do I leave the phone on flight mode for the 3 weeks?

In the past I have always turned my phone off once we leave port and put it in the safe as I am scared of it doing something I don't know about. If it's in flight mode while we are at sea will sms and phone calls still come in?

Optus have just discontinued the plan which I have been on for close to 15 years and have put me on a new plan called crew cap which includes 100MB of data. It would come in handy when we are out and about on land but I am too scared to use it in case I do something wrong. I always have data turned off and use free wifi wherever I can find it.

I do plan to use viber to call the family and send photos, will it work with the phone in flight mode?

Thank you to anyone who can help me, and please feel free to answer in kindergarten language as I am a confused old granny!!! My son told me to get this Lumia phone as its easy for old grannys to use but easy to him is not easy to me!!!

Edited by Tara Jane