Margaritaville coming to Breakaway & Getaway

my3sonsnj

If the food I got at Escape's Margaritaville had been closer to what I've gotten at a land-based Margaritaville I wouldn't have minded quite as much. I don't mind playing the tourist and ordering a decent cheeseburger while I listen to some fun Buffet songs.

It would be great if they would serve breakfasts there as the menu from when it was complimentary looks good. Flamingo Grill breakfasts are something we are truly going to miss. And please don't get me started on how much I loved those plantains that I can't get at any restaurant where we live.

I have no problem buying lunch at Food Republic as we have enjoyed everything we have tried there. We have 3 more cruises booked on Escape but I doubt we will visit their Margaritaville again.

You can find us at Food Republic....very much looking forward to trying more from that menu:cool:

O'Sheehans is NOT an upcharge.

I believe the older (pre-breakaway) NCL ships have poolside grills. With breakaway, they migrated to the Uptown Grill concept (now Margaritaville).

Edit: how do I always forget a ship named "epic"?? What does the epic have in regards to an upper deck grill venue?

The Epic does have an outside/pool grill area. It was as great place for afternoon snacks...plus there were ice cream machines outside, too.

The Flamingo Grill was one of the few things I was looking forward to on the Getaway. We ate at Margaritaville on the Escape (it was free for us on the UDP) and weren't impressed. The fish and chips I got was the same as the "free" fish and chips down in O'Sheehan's.

Thanks for posting article.

Your welcome.

I'm not sure about the change. Last year I cruised in October to Bermuda on the Breakaway and the Uptown Grill was closed everytime I wanted to try it due to winds. My husband and I enjoyed the Uptown Grill for some lunches on our Carribean cruise in February, but it was closed a couple days on that trip as well.

I wonder if they will be remodeling some so that wind/weather is not issue for operations since this will now be an additional revenue stream for NCL.

All Good Things...

We really enjoyed FG on our recent cruise in June. We stopped by often for breakfast and lunch or just for a pastry. It did seem too good to be included as a free option for food. Just Hoping some of the items get offered in the Garden Café. Will Miss the FG.

Your welcome.

I'm not sure about the change. Last year I cruised in October to Bermuda on the Breakaway and the Uptown Grill was closed everytime I wanted to try it due to winds. My husband and I enjoyed the Uptown Grill for some lunches on our Carribean cruise in February, but it was closed a couple days on that trip as well.

I wonder if they will be remodeling some so that wind/weather is not issue for operations since this will now be an additional revenue stream for NCL.

We sail Nov.6th 2016. So I'll take some pics and do some reviews.

I wonder how long it will take for them to build/make the change to Margaritaville?

Not sure what needs to change in the back. About 15 minutes for the front of the house. They put up a sign, and start playing Jimmy Buffet music. That's about as close to a land based Margaritaville as they get. No atmosphere at all. The burgers aren't even close to those at Uptown Grill. Sad.

So do the "grills" remain open in the meantime or will the ships be sailing down one restaurant going forward? I'm on the breakaway 9/4 and was looking forward to trying the uptown...

what is their breakfast menu like? omelette station? that makes breakfast for me when im on vacation.

So do the "grills" remain open in the meantime or will the ships be sailing down one restaurant going forward? I'm on the breakaway 9/4 and was looking forward to trying the uptown...

what is their breakfast menu like? omelette station? that makes breakfast for me when im on vacation.

Unless someone associated with the conversion plan from NCL chimes in, nobody knows. It's never been done before.

Not sure what needs to change in the back. About 15 minutes for the front of the house. They put up a sign, and start playing Jimmy Buffet music. That's about as close to a land based Margaritaville as they get. No atmosphere at all. The burgers aren't even close to those at Uptown Grill. Sad.

When we were on the Escape in January I never heard any music in the area. Buffet music would be a plus! Part of the charm of this venue is that it is a covered but open air venue that lets us look at the ocean while we eat our burger. Also has a great bar but again, it was under-utilized whenever we were there.

Just looked back on the dailies I had for our Escape sailing in June, and Margaritaville was listed as open 11Am to 4Pm each of the 7 days, 35 hours a week makes it that profitable? Might as well serve breakfast

they serve burgers for $8?!

who in their right mind would be paying this when u can go a few feet to the right to the buffet for free burgers.

I personally am looking forward to this and am actually disappointed that it won't be ready for our cruise on the 14th.

I priced out ALL 7 day cruises on newer ships out of Florida or NY for this cruise and NCL came out one the cheapest. carnival was a touch cheaper but not by much so, I have zero issue in paying for my drinks or specialty food.

Really don't understand all the complaints, but that's just me.

I personally am looking forward to this and am actually disappointed that it won't be ready for our cruise on the 14th.

I priced out ALL 7 day cruises on newer ships out of Florida or NY for this cruise and NCL came out one the cheapest. carnival was a touch cheaper but not by much so, I have zero issue in paying for my drinks or specialty food.

You don't understand why people are complaining about complimentary, delicious ethnic food being replaced with for-fee shopping-mall food?

It's one thing to be a Jimmy Buffet fan, or to enjoy celebrity "theme" restaurants enough to want to pay for them on the ship AND at the ports. But it's disingenuous to pretend you don't understand why people might be unhappy about losing a ship favorite like Flamingo Grill.

'Widely successful' ??? Not sure who they were quoting on that one! A very under utilized venue. We were quite disappointed with Margaritaville on Escape....and we had looked forward to it. Now they want to change the Flamingo Grill which we have always loved. Great lunches and a good spot for breakfast. We will really miss it:(

Agree 100%.

Totally failed venue on Escape when we cruised her in March. Only open at lunch and was quiet due to upcharge (I think). We tried it for drinks (with UBP) and nachos/apps and it was just okay. Runny processed cheese on nachos...not worth the charge!

Not sure if the CEO is playing with a full deck!

I think the complaints are because the Margaritaville venue on Escape hasn't really lived up to expectations. We were all excited when it was first announced. Then many on the first cruises when it was still complimentary reported how long the lines were. It apparently had a good breakfast menu too. By the time I went on the Escape they had changed to an ala carte menu that seemed overpriced for what you got and no more breakfast hours. Also no Margaritaville atmosphere other than some signs. Someone here made a great suggestion that if they just charged a small cover fee it would cut down the lines and make it seem worthwhile to those who wished to try it. Unfortunately, no one at NCL picked up on that suggestion:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, those of us who loved the complimentary Uptown Grill (Breakaway) and Flamingo Grill (Getaway) heard about this change. If it had a semi-decent Margaritaville experience and menu we would be happier. As it is, we are mourning the loss of great complementary open-air venues on these ships. The FG has great Cuban inspired food that you can't get on any other ship.

I think the complaints are because the Margaritaville venue on Escape hasn't really lived up to expectations. We were all excited when it was first announced. Then many on the first cruises when it was still complimentary reported how long the lines were. It apparently had a good breakfast menu too. By the time I went on the Escape they had changed to an ala carte menu that seemed overpriced for what you got and no more breakfast hours. Also no Margaritaville atmosphere other than some signs. Someone here made a great suggestion that if they just charged a small cover fee it would cut down the lines and make it seem worthwhile to those who wished to try it. Unfortunately, no one at NCL picked up on that suggestion:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, those of us who loved the complimentary Uptown Grill (Breakaway) and Flamingo Grill (Getaway) heard about this change. If it had a semi-decent Margaritaville experience and menu we would be happier. As it is, we are mourning the loss of great complementary open-air venues on these ships. The FG has great Cuban inspired food that you can't get on any other ship.

Ok, that makes perfect sense . I guess everyone is coming from different experiences but I totally understand this perspective. Thanks for sharing

we are gonna be on Getaway 9/11 the week before Magaritaville. Wonder if flamingo grill gonna be open that week?

I'm on the same cruise. Very disappointed as I imagine this week the flamingo grill will closed as it transitions to Margaritaville

Found this on the NCL website

Uptown Bar & Grill

At Uptown Bar & Grill you’ll find Norwegian Breakaway's new burger and salad bar. Choose from a variety of gourmet burger options like Garden & Herb and Chili Cheese or create your own! And with so many different ingredients, you can have a new kind of burger every single day. Prefer to keep it light? Our made-to-order fresh chopped salads are another great option. So eat in or take it to go and start working on that golden tan. Either way, we always do it well (or medium or rare).

Note: This dining venue will be discontinued as of 9/25/2016.

Price Per Person: Complimentary

So that's 2 weeks of remodeling