Sydney Opera House Tours

Miss Priss

Hello fellow travelers:

This is my first attempt at posting, so forgive me if I skip some protocol. Three couples are taking the HAL cruise to Australia and New Zealand in February. In Sydney we would like to visit the Opera House in depth. Has anyone taken any of the packages that are offered there, i.e. dinner, tour and opera, drinks, tour and opera or twilight cruise, tour and opera? Also, is the bridge climb really worth the time?

One other question: We are considering the overland tour to Queensland (2 days, 1 night) but are worried that we will miss the scenic cruising around the southern tip of South Island (doubtful sound, dusky sound, etc.) Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help. Miss Priss

Priss,

Welcome to the CC board.

I've been to Sydney 7 times, but never on a cruise. I'm not sure if I fully understand your question.

Is this a package tour from the ship that you are taking and you'll only be in Sydney for a limited # of hours? Or will you have a few days in Sydney pre or post cruise to see it on your own and you've found a city tour that includes all the things you mentioned?

I think it kind of comes down to price and where you'll be eating and drinking. Sydney is a safe and easy city to get around in and it has some of the finest cuisine in the world. Does your tour say where you'll dine? Is it at Guillime at Bennelong right in the Opera House? (it's fabulous) Also, if you don't mind me asking - what are they charging for the tour? The Opera House conducts tours that anyone can sign up for so I kind of don't see the point of doing it with a group tour and then being relegated to their choice of restaurant and dining with the group, which may mean you're limited to the "group choice dinner".

As far as the twlight cruise, again, you're confined to the group's timetable. If you look at photo's of the Opera House, you'll see it's down by the water on Circular Quay. There are many, many boats there. You can feel free to buy a ticket and hop on any one of them that suits your fancy from sunrise to sunset. There's plenty of boat tours and you can pick the one that fits your time frame. Thay have guides on board that tell you all about what you're looking at as well as some of Sydney's history. Personally, I'd prefer not to be herded with the group and have to go when *they* want to go.

For me, the bridge climb at $90.AUD isn't worth it. There's a lower level of the bridge that you can climb (it was either free for $5.00AUD, can't remember) and it was high enough for me to take all the gorgeous photo's I wanted. But hey, that's a personal choice. Many people do it and love it.

Okay, your other question: Are you asking whether to go up to Queensland, Oz, instead of the South Island of NZ? Hmmm.....I've only been to NZ's north island, so can't comment there. Where in Northern Queensland would they take you to? To the GBR? (great barrier reef)Seems like a far distance for a bus ride.....we always fly to Cairns and then drive 2 hours north to the rainforest and GBR. Can you tell me any more specifics about where they'll take you?

Jane

Hello fellow travelers:

One other question: We are considering the overland tour to Queensland (2 days, 1 night) but are worried that we will miss the scenic cruising around the southern tip of South Island (doubtful sound, dusky sound, etc.) Any thoughts?

Do you mean Queenstown instead of Queensland?

Kiwi,

Yes, it seemed very odd to me that the OP has a choice between the South Island and Queensland! Also, that they'd be driving to Queensland.

Very odd indeed.

I think the OP is confusing Queensland with Queenstown as you suggest.

Jane

Sydney info----

You can easily get to the Opera House by foot from Circular Quay. If youe ship is berthed at the overseas terminal then you can see the opera house is directly opposite. You can easily walk in & around it, behind the scene tours are available.

Harbour Bridge, you can walk for free across it, not on the arch. It's a nice walk & offers great views, you can also return by bus or train if you don't care to walk back.

Have a look at these sights...

www.sydneyoperahouse.com

www.viewsydney.com

www.therocks.com

www.sydneywebcam.com

www.citysearch.com.au

The bridge climb is expensive. There is another called skywalk which is on top of the sydney tower, also not cheap. I think it is called skywalk.

Hello Miss Priss,

From my previous experience in Sydney--when I tried to do the Opera House tour--I should have made advance reservations for it. When I got to the Opera House from the overseas terminal, a nice walk around the Quay as has been pointed out, there was a 2 hour wait for space on the next tour. I could not wait that long, so missed the tour.

Had a friend who did the walk on the arch of the Harbor Bridge and raved about the experience.

What sailing of the Statendam are you on? I am sailing on the February 18th sailing--Auckland to Sydney. I have posted a Roll Call for this voyage on the HAL Roll Call Message Board. If you are on this sailing and interested in joining the Roll Call, you may need to do a search for it inasmuch as it has been very inactive.

Inactivity seems to be a common thread on all the Roll Calls for Statendam Australia/NZ cruises this upcoming season. We are on the Feb 4 sailing. I did find several active threads from the 2005 season that are helpful.

We were looking at the Queenstown excursion as well but had the same concerns as Miss Priss about missing the scenery in Milford Sound (as well as a sea day, which we really like). I thought about a flightseeing excursion while in Dunedin back to the Queenstown area, but the price I found was a little too steep at around $500/person (although that is cheaper than the HAL overnight excursion).

Steve

We will be in Sydney precruise February 22-25 and planned to do the Opera House Tour our first day. I can't find anywhere on their website where you can order tickets in advance, other than for the expensive backstage tour. Is there an email address, website, or phone number where we can order tickets in advance? Their website says you don't need advance tickets. Thanks . . .

Hello fellow travelers:

This is my first attempt at posting, so forgive me if I skip some protocol. Three couples are taking the HAL cruise to Australia and New Zealand in February. In Sydney we would like to visit the Opera House in depth. Has anyone taken any of the packages that are offered there, i.e. dinner, tour and opera, drinks, tour and opera or twilight cruise, tour and opera? Also, is the bridge climb really worth the time?

Hi Miss Priss. The only way to see Queenstown and the surrounding area would be by a flightseeing tour, avaialble by chartering a small plane from Dunedin or by a long drive [its about 4 hours each way and almost 300km] so you would be in the car a long time and not have much chance to see anything when you actually get to Queenstown.

Though the flightseeing option is quite pricey it is still cheaper than the HAL shore EX and you would also not miss out on the sail around the south island and up the sounds. If you can get a few people together then the costs can be shared, i think you can get planes up to 10 or 12 passengers, if you like i can do some research for you. I know other CC'ers have also been thinking about this option.

If you would like any more info or advice on what to do and see here in NZ we would be pleased to help, we are based in Tauranga, one of your ports of call.

Regards Ian

We will be in Sydney precruise February 22-25 and planned to do the Opera House Tour our first day. I can't find anywhere on their website where you can order tickets in advance, other than for the expensive backstage tour. Is there an email address, website, or phone number where we can order tickets in advance? Their website says you don't need advance tickets. Thanks . . .

NH Cruiser,

I am pretty sure there is a website for the Opera House. Google Sydney Opera House and see what comes up. I will look through all of the stuff that I have collected for my forth coming cruise and if I find a website or phone number, I will return to this thread and post.

If you would like any more info or advice on what to do and see here in NZ we would be pleased to help, we are based in Tauranga, one of your ports of call.

Regards Ian

Miss Priss is apparently a drive-by poster. She posted her first question and has not returned. In other words, Miss Priss has left the building! LOL!!!

But at least the rest of us are getting some nice Sydney info out of this.:D

NH Cruiser,

I am pretty sure there is a website for the Opera House. Google Sydney Opera House and see what comes up. I will look through all of the stuff that I have collected for my forth coming cruise and if I find a website or phone number, I will return to this thread and post.

I have posted some websites for sydney earlier on in this forum

I was under the impression that you could not book Opera House tours in advance. When we're in Sydney, we're taking an afternoon Harbor Tour, and hope we can get an Opera House tour, in the morning, by going to the ticket office as early as possible. Is this "wishful thinking?":confused:

I was under the impression that you could not book Opera House tours in advance. When we're in Sydney, we're taking an afternoon Harbor Tour, and hope we can get an Opera House tour, in the morning, by going to the ticket office as early as possible. Is this "wishful thinking?":confused:

I'm not sure about booking in advance, I would imagine that you can. Rest assurred that you can still go to the opera house and walk around, it's quite spectacular. You only need to book a tour if you want to see the concert halls and behind the scenes.

Have you looked at www.sydneyoperahouse.com?

Hi RKAcruiser

Thanks for your note. We're sailing on the Feb 4 trip as well. I don't think you can get tickets early unless you "package". I'm waiting until Nov. 15 to get more answers. The six of us wanted to experience a complete evening of dinner, tour and opera, rather than just looking around. A friend of mine spent a whole day there and loved it.

Hi Maxx

I have checked the sydney opera house website, and have e mailed them regarding the tours. They e mailed back right away and said to contact them after November 15th when the 2006 schedule is finalized. They also said prices would be available then. But all their tours sounded interesting.

Hi all of you. I had no idea you would all answer so promptly. I was out of town and email-less. So I will try to do better. One, of course, is "Queensland" instead of Queenstown. Again, all I can say is duh. Also I wasn't very clear. The tours I referred to are from the opera house, not HAL. And, as I said, they promised via e mail that more info would be forthcoming 11/15. Regarding the QueensTOWN bipass, we followed the description of the tour on a map and found they went south to Fiordland. So it looks as though we can still get some of the scenic views from the "other side" so to speak. We are all trekkers and if I don't get these people off the boat for a while, I may never get them to cruise again!

Finally, thanks for the suggestions on the bridge climb. Sounds like we can accomplish the same goals by going part way up. Cool!

Pat,

Sydney has a hop on/hop off bus as well that seems to cover most of the interesting areas of the city. Boarding can be done at the Ferry Terminal at Circular Quay and/or a stop that appears to be very close to where the ship docks, if the ship docks opposite the Opera House.

Yes, I've checked there and they only give a phone number to call. We'll take our chances on trying to get a tour, the morning we are in Sydney. If not, walking around sounds good, too.

Walking around the harbour at Circular Quay is easy and a pleasant walk. Try www.citysearch.com.au & go to Sydney. There may be something there, also www.darlingharbour.com.au and search for a link. You may not need .au for these, not sure.

There are booking offices here such as www.ticketek.com.au which may have some info.

Yes, I've checked there and they only give a phone number to call. We'll take our chances on trying to get a tour, the morning we are in Sydney. If not, walking around sounds good, too.

Walking around the harbour at Circular Quay is easy and a pleasant walk. Try www.citysearch.com.au & go to Sydney. There may be something there, also www.darlingharbour.com.au and search for a link. You may not need .au for these, not sure.

There are booking offices here such as www.ticketek.com.au which may have some info.

Has anyone taken any of the packages that are offered there, i.e. dinner, tour and opera, drinks, tour and opera or twilight cruise, tour and opera? Also, is the bridge climb really worth the time?
The Bridgeclimb is really worth the time - no doubt about it. The only variable is the weather; it's much better if it's good enough to see the sights as well as the bridge.

The backstage Opera House tour is much more interesting than the standard tourist jaunt - do have a think about this.

I think the OP is confusing Queensland with Queenstown as you suggest.
It's easily done. Much more embarrassing, the current Qantas in-flight magazine route map lists a 2,400 km flight from Brisbane to "Queensland".

Archived