Princess Visa - Japan Cruise Issue

seacruise9

Hi,

I recently returned from a Circle Japan cruise on the Diamond Princess (July 17-25, 2016). I used my Princess Visa card to pay for my shipboard expenses. However, I was denied double points for this charge because it is labeled "Carnival Japan Diamond." I contacted Princess Visa and they have been refusing the double points because the charge was through Carnival. After they closed my inquiry, I recently spoke to a manager. They are going to reopen my case. I have offered to fax them a copy of my Princess boarding pass. Also, I am contacting Princess customer service.

I have used my Princess Visa card on many Princess cruises in the past and always received double points. However, it is frustrating that I have been denied the double points due to the way that Carnival and Princess do their accounting. Hopefully, I will be able to resolve this issue.

Chuck

Good luck hopefully you as the customer will have some success against the big business.

Just a question off topic - could you possibly tell us what ports you stopped at and what the situation was regarding transfer into the town at each stop?

We go in 2 weeks and not having much success with info and trying to work in with local sightseeing particularly one stop Kagoshima where we don't arrive til 2 pm and the last shuttle on the island we hope to visit leaves at 4.30pm

Much appreciated.

I can't believe they r so petty...I've received so many xtra points and miles due to poor service, mistakes etc..from my visa card vendors...For example the amount at 1% of 5,000, is 50 bucks... why r they even wasting time....speak to the department that can adjust points, keep after them someone will come to their senses...

In this case I would not take no for an answer they can easily add addition points to your account, just as simple goodwill.

Edited by land lover

I can't believe they r so petty...I've received so many xtra points and miles due to poor service, mistakes etc..from my visa card vendors...For example the amount at 1% of 5,000, is 50 bucks... why r they even wasting time....speak to the department that can adjust points, keep after them someone will come to their senses...

In this case I would not take no for an answer they can easily add addition points to your account, just as simple goodwill.

Hi,

I agree. They won't listen to reasoning and insist the charge was for a Carnival cruise (I have never taken a Carnival cruise in my life). I also have a cruise booked on the Diamond Princess for February 2017. Based on my experience, I am afraid that I will be denied the double points for this ship again. I am having second thoughts about this future cruise.

If this is resolved, I will post the result.

Chuck

I suspect there is confusion on both you and Visa's part. "Carnival Japan Diamond" has nothing to do with carnival cruise line. Carnival Japan Diamond is actually the corporate entity for princess Asia. It is actually several cruise lines (none of which are carnival) It includes PC, HAL and (I believe) Seabourne. These three are now a comined line Diamond (or other ship name) is how they deliniate the various arms. I would think someone in Visa could figure it out as charges have been showing up for many folk with the Carnival moniker.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I have spoken to several people (including a manager) at Princess Visa. They all insist that I should not receive the double points. According to them, this does not qualify as a Princess charge. If Princess is using other corporate entities to process their charges, they should inform Princess Visa. I probably should consider a new credit card.

Chuck

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I have spoken to several people (including a manager) at Princess Visa. They all insist that I should not receive the double points. According to them, this does not qualify as a Princess charge. If Princess is using other corporate entities to process their charges, they should inform Princess Visa. I probably should consider a new credit card.

Have you spoken to anyone at Princess?

Have you spoken to anyone at Princess?

Hi,

Yes, I spoke to a reservations agent at Princess. She told me to send an e-mail to Princess customer relations. I sent them a detailed message, but I have not heard back yet.

Chuck

Hi,

Like you, I received double points for the cruise fare that I paid prior to the cruise. The problem only relates to the onboard purchases (these are not coded to Princess Cruises).

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Thanks Chuck for the reply re transport at the ports, a great help.

Hope you get your Visa sorted.

Hi,

You're welcome.

I am not very optimistic that I will receive the double Princess Visa points. Princess customer service called and said that they are a totally separate entity from Princess Visa. Therefore, Princess will not do anything to assist me. I have not heard back from Princess Visa, but they said that it could take 10 days.

I decided to cancel my cruise on the Diamond Princess that I had booked for February 2017. I don't want to go through this again. I changed to a Celebrity ship with a better itinerary for me.

Chuck

I've never heard of a problem like this. Thank you for giving us a heads up. I always use my Princess Visa for cruise related costs to get the double points. I did have one bad experience when they cancelled our card while we were on a Hawaii cruise because of a security breach on their end. The first we heard if it was when we were summoned to passenger services because they couldn't charge our card. Princess Visa refused to extend the card until the end of our cruise.

I've never heard of a problem like this. Thank you for giving us a heads up. I always use my Princess Visa for cruise related costs to get the double points. I did have one bad experience when they cancelled our card while we were on a Hawaii cruise because of a security breach on their end. The first we heard if it was when we were summoned to passenger services because they couldn't charge our card. Princess Visa refused to extend the card until the end of our cruise.

We had a similar incident with my Barclay card being compromised but luckily thanks both to reading CC and Barclays using different numbers on my DWs Princess card we only had to switch cards at Passenger Services so we still got our Double Points.

Good luck getting Barclays to correct their error.

Hi,

I have some good news to report. I never received a message from Princess Visa, but I noticed that my total number of cruise points recently has been increased to reflect double points for my Diamond Princess shipboard charge.

However, I recommend that people who use their Princess Visa to pay their shipboard account on Japan cruises check their credit card statements for the double points. Hopefully, people will start to automatically receive the double points.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Hi,

I have some good news to report. I never received a message from Princess Visa, but I noticed that my total number of cruise points recently has been increased to reflect double points for my Diamond Princess shipboard charge.

However, I recommend that people who use their Princess Visa to pay their shipboard account on Japan cruises check their credit card statements for the double points. Hopefully, people will start to automatically receive the double points.

Chuck

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Chuck

I just returned from Japan and noticed that all the charges for excursions came from Carnival Japan and didn't earn double points. I called this morning and was told that when my statement closes for the month, the double points will be awarded. So I'll wait until the end of my statement period to see if the points update. Maybe that's what happened in the OP's case?