Affordable Restaurants in Sydney

Disco Duck

My pleasure!

No you will not have a problem finding gluten free food. So many people here are gluten free it's a massive trend at the moment! There may be a small surcharge of $1 at some restaurants for gluten free bread or pancakes etc but everywhere you go will have gluten free options available.

Didn't realise you were staying for a whole week! Where are you staying? I can recommend some more restaurants / cafes / breakfast spots or just general attractions if you like.

Surely you will also want to explore on your own and find some places though so I won't go overboard haha.

Braliza,

Can you get gammon steaks(not sure what they are called in AUS) but in UK they are normally grilled or fried and served with egg/pinapple.

Thanks.

129033-HERO-5d40d262-b1e5-42c6-bee0-fd3f241e0cbd-0-472x310.jpg

No unfortunately not. Gammon is uncommon in Australia and I have never ever seen it on any menus. You can probably buy it through speciality butchers to have at home yourself but not when dining out.

If you love your meat though especially ham/pork then stop in at The Lowenbrau in The Rocks (near cruise terminal, 5 min walk) which is a German restaurant and they do the most amazing meat platters *drool* or you can't go wrong with the Pork knuckle - crackling heaven.

No unfortunately not. Gammon is uncommon in Australia and I have never ever seen it on any menus. You can probably buy it through speciality butchers to have at home yourself but not when dining out.

If you love your meat though especially ham/pork then stop in at The Lowenbrau in The Rocks (near cruise terminal, 5 min walk) which is a German restaurant and they do the most amazing meat platters *drool* or you can't go wrong with the Pork knuckle - crackling heaven.

Thanks for your help and recommendation.

My pleasure!

No you will not have a problem finding gluten free food. So many people here are gluten free it's a massive trend at the moment! There may be a small surcharge of $1 at some restaurants for gluten free bread or pancakes etc but everywhere you go will have gluten free options available.

Didn't realise you were staying for a whole week! Where are you staying? I can recommend some more restaurants / cafes / breakfast spots or just general attractions if you like.

Surely you will also want to explore on your own and find some places though so I won't go overboard haha.

Hi Braliza:

We are staying at the Rendezvous Hotel Sydney at the Rocks. You are definitely not going overboard. I would much rather have good information from locals. I don't do fast foods at home so I definitely won't be doing them there.

Are there that many people with Celiac Disease or do they just choose to eat GF? It is so reassuring to know that I won't have a problem eating.

Thank you again for all/any information. I can't wait to get there. Although I'm not looking forward to the 22 hour flight :)

Deb

Are there that many people with Celiac Disease or do they just choose to eat GF? It is so reassuring to know that I won't have a problem eating.

Deb

You will find that its no different to your own country where the stats are of the 100% of people eating/ordering GF - less than 2% have actually been diagnosed as having coeliac disease.

The only benefit to some idiots turning it into a "food fad" is that those who genuinely have the disease have greater access to food and improved labeling.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also coming to Sydney in Jan. and have been looking for unique spots to eat, I'm definitely going to find that Poolside Cafe at the ABC pool! sounds amazing.

We're also planning on trying to eat at the Spice Room at Circular Quay, do you have a thumbs up or down for that. (We're staying at the Grace Hotel)

Thanks for all the help from all the locals....

• 3 weeks later...

We will be arriving in Sydney in mid-February for 3 days pre-cruise. I was able to use points to stay at the Park Hyatt (excited about it as I would never spend that much hard-earned cash on a hotel and am looking forward to a 5-star experience).

I've been told that going to clubs was a good way to find reasonable dinners. Are there any in that area? We don't need to find places for breakfast as it is included but we are on our own for lunch and dinner and I'm sure the hotel will not be what most people would consider affordable or even reasonable.

We will be arriving in Sydney in mid-February for 3 days pre-cruise. I was able to use points to stay at the Park Hyatt (excited about it as I would never spend that much hard-earned cash on a hotel and am looking forward to a 5-star experience).

I've been told that going to clubs was a good way to find reasonable dinners. Are there any in that area? We don't need to find places for breakfast as it is included but we are on our own for lunch and dinner and I'm sure the hotel will not be what most people would consider affordable or even reasonable.

The RSL (Returned Services League) is in George Street, maybe two miles (and that's a rough guess) from the Park Hyatt.

There are a lot of pubs (bars) in the Rocks area that offer pretty good pub grub.

The Leagues (Rugby League is a football code) club is in Phillip Street and used to offer some good meals (haven't eaten there in a while).

That's all the clubs I can think of at the moment that are near you.

Hi All,

To answer Bob's question first up before I get into my post there are dozens of pubs in The Rocks Precinct. I have listed a few below that come to mind but cannot list them all as there's a pub on every corner in The Rocks. You should be able to get a massive meal for no more than $20. Think steaks, schnitzel or fish and chips. For a schooner of beer, $5. A lot of them do different nightly deals i.e. Monday may be steak night for $12 and Tuesday schnitzel night for $10 so look into this too!

PUBS

- The Observer Hotel

- The Orient Hotel

- The Australian Hotel

- The Glenmore

- Harbour View Hotel

- Mercantile Hotel

For other "cheap and cheerful" places try Pancakes on the Rocks as I have mentioned before. Similar to Hard Rock or IHOP if you know these chains.

There are some fantastic food courts in Sydney also. The closest is at Gateway Sydney just next to Customs House. It is brand new and has lots of options. 5 mins walk from OPT.

If you venture further up to see the Sydney Tower, Queen Victoria Building or Town Hall you should visit the underground foodcourt in Pitt Street Mall or the Level 5 Foodcourt within the actual Westfield on the other side.

Other dining options I can recommend are as follows:

MID-RANGE

- Fratelli Fresh: Amazing italian on Bridge Street just one block back from Circular Quay. Affordable and fresh. Must get in before 6pm though or you won't get a table.

- El Camino: A fun viby new Mexican restaurant within The Argyle hotel, just around the corner from the OPT (3 min walk). You can grab tacos from $5 or nachos $19 and they do massive margaritas and have a good beer range. Also funky deco and wear a sombrero while you're at it.

- Munich Brauhaus: Not the cheapest as a schnitzel can set you back $30 but really good German food and OMG you can't go past the pork knuckle. If sharing with friends you must try the meat platter. There are some cheaper dishes like roast pork roll or sausages around $20.

EXPENSIVE (BUT NOT OUTRAGEOUS LIKE QUAY!)

- Mr Wong: Number 13 on Sydney's best restaurant list is award winning Mr Wong. Amazing asian cuisine, makes your tastebuds go crazy but it does come at a price and you have to get in early or you'll miss out. One word - mouthwatering.

- Cafe Sydney: Modern Australian cuisine with the best produce from the sea and land. They do a specials menu as well with seasonal items. Has a gorgeous view of Circular Quay as it is atop of Customs House and a 3 course meal will set you back around $100 before drinks. Mind you there's a $72 steak so I am not accounting for you ordering this ;)

- Neptunes Palace: Not necessarily a classy or fancy restaurant but for a Chinese restaurant I think the prices are expensive BUT the food is amazing. Hands down the best soft shell crab & salt and pepper calamari or prawn dishes you can get. If you love Chinese then come here.

FOR A DRINK

- Opera Bar: OK personally I do not like this place as it is expensive, BUT if you're in Sydney for a short time I would recommend coming here for a drink just so you can get the view. I wouldn't recommend eating here as any of the restaurants right on the water are just a rip off. But come and enjoy a wine or beer and take in the view of the ferries coming and going with the bridge right in front of your face!

- O Bar: A bit of a secret in Sydney. A revolving restaurant called O Bar & Dining in between Pitt + George Streets atop of the Australia Square building. Again don't eat here as it's pricey but you can grab a drink and something from the bar menu (trio of dips were great and they kept topping up with free bread) and you can sit for 1 hour while the place does a full 360 degrees of Sydney. A quick way to see Sydney or a good way to get your bearings before you decide to walk around.

- The Argyle: As mentioned before the Argyle is just in the Rocks 3 mins from OPT and is a lovely old courtyard with cobblestone. You can also sit inside with heaps of lounges etc. but it's quite dark so if a nice day definitely grab a stool in the courtyard.

- Palmer & Co: Something a bit different down a hideaway lane is Palmer

& Co a Prohibition Cocktail Bar which will take you back to the 1920s. Not a must do but something a bit cool and different that may interest some!

All those listed above are very close to the OPT and in walking distance. If you would like to travel a bit further then I recommend trying out Darling Harbour or China Town for more good food. You can go by foot (1/2 hour walk) or get the free green shuttle bus that loops around the city all day. Alternatively take the train from Circular Quay.

There are lots of good places to eat and drink in Sydney so hopefully I haven't gone overboard but do some research for yourselves on TripAdvisor or feel free to ask me any questions.

I hope everyone enjoys their time in our beautiful city!!!

Also if you haven't had a meat pie fair dinkum go to a bakery and get an aussie beef meat pie as soon as you touch down in Sydney (and not from Harrys Cafe de Wheels, you need to just go to a bakery!)

FOR A DRINK

- Opera Bar: OK personally I do not like this place as it is expensive, BUT if you're in Sydney for a short time I would recommend coming here for a drink just so you can get the view. I wouldn't recommend eating here as any of the restaurants right on the water are just a rip off. But come and enjoy a wine or beer and take in the view of the ferries coming and going with the bridge right in front of your face!

On this topic, the last time someone suggested going to the Opera Bar it didn't work for us. Despite the fact that there is a sizeable open air area, it was so noisy that it would have been impossible to have a relaxed conversation in it. We walked on by and went into Bennelong (the posh restaurant in the Opera House) and discovered that you can sit in the bar area there and have a drink without having to eat - and much of the bar area has a view that is almost the equal of the view from the Opera Bar. I think I might save the Opera Bar for off-peak periods in future!

We will be in Sydney Dec 2 for 5 days before our cruise and I just want to say Thank You for all your posts on this thread. I also needed help in finding places to eat. And your recommendations were greatly appreciated.

So, Thank You again.

Walter. from Colorado, USA

We will be in Sydney Dec 2 for 5 days before our cruise and I just want to say Thank You for all your posts on this thread. I also needed help in finding places to eat. And your recommendations were greatly appreciated.

So, Thank You again.

Walter. from Colorado, USA

I hope you enjoy your stay.

I think our harbour is one of the best in the world.

The Haymarket area around Central Station is full of great asian eateries. Chinatown is vaguely between Central and Darling Harbour. The Thai centre is smaller and situated around the Capitol Theatre area. There are some great little sushi trains around as well, and plenty of options that won't break the bank. Circular Quay/Rocks area is a major tourist hub, so there's not a lot of cheap eats around there, but as soon as you get that little bit further back toward the CBD for business lunches or Ultimo for university students you'll find some good cheap food.

If you're up for using vouchers, check out some of the group buy sites - they'll often have a thai lunch with drinks, fish and chips lunch with a drink, etc for around $10 or less.

One nice option for gluten free food if you like latin flavours - Contrabando is actually quite near the rocks vicinity and has daily specials. They sometimes do all you can eat tacos with a drink on the group buy sites, too, and they have a wide range of GF options and the food is great.

re: the Opera Bar, I'm not a big fan, either. Food I've had there has been ok but nothing to rave about, it's often loud and too busy, and they are plagued with seagulls so you're often enough defending your food. Last time I went to a show at the SOH a seagull pooed on my friend while she was trying to enjoy her coffee and food there, it kinda ruined her appetite! Some of the restaurants on the way to the Opera House from Circular Quay station have great food, some pricier than others, and none as loud and full of seagulls as the Opera Bar.

I hate the Opera Bar too. Always crowded and noisy. Unfortunately when going to/from the Opera House car park you always have to go through it. :mad:

Our favourite Circular Quay spot is the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar, especially when we can get a table right on the water's edge. It's pricey though. The cafe next to it (Portobello) is also nice, we've stopped there for coffee a number of times. For cheapish meals on that side of Circular Quay we usually go to Buckleys.

Yes - Buckley's is great! It's nothing out of the ordinary exactly, but to be able to cater for two kids, two vegetarians, a gluten free diner, reasonably priced with quick service and so close to the opera house is out of the ordinary in itself!