Just lost my mind...

rjrice1

Okay I am having rotator cuff repair on 9/6 and will be out of work for a little bit. Follow up appointment is 9/21. So I decided what is a better way to recoup with a little get away.

Just booked a cruise for 5 days on the Majesty of the Sea.. think this will make me feel better and the price was really nice too..

I hope your Dr. Approved your cruise ? I had extensive rotator cuff surgery ( torn supraspinatus ) & spent 6 weeks @ home . Wishing you easy surgery , fast healing & a great cruise ! You won't be allowed to use that arm for anything for a while , so plan ahead !

I just had the shoulder surgery 8-11, rotator cuff, bone spur, arthritis & labrum repairs. I wouldn't want to cruise until I was able to use my arm better. It would be hard moving the luggage around plus if the ship hits some seas, you only have 1 arm to balance yourself. Not to mention the people who only care about themselves with no regard for your wounded wing. You may need ice to cool down your shoulder and or pain meds, it could also interfere with your therapy. Each person is different, mine has been pain free, plus with great range of motion but it is a pain having your arm in a sling especially if it is your dominate hand. Going to the windjammer would not be easy with only one arm. I am cruising 10 weeks after surgery & I am hoping that I don't have issues then. Good luck with the operation.

Some more tidbits, the showers on the ships are normally small, I can't imagine taking a one armed shower in one of those. Also I have learned that I plan meals with the thought of eating one handed, it would be hard to use a knife to cut your food.

I've had that surgery and the most important advice I can give you is to make sure you continue your rehab during the cruise. Range of motion exercises from your doctor or physical therapist are very important and must be done to prevent a prolonged and painful recovery.

I tore my rotor cuff just a week before one of our cruises. Too late to cancel due

to past final payment. Figured it was OK anyway, since healing time on a ship

is easier than healing time at home where I have to cook, clean, make my bed..

etc. :eek:

Plus happy hour drinks served were very much appreciated also. ;)

Enjoy your recovery cruise! :D

Edited by island lady

I just had the shoulder surgery 8-11, rotator cuff, bone spur, arthritis & labrum repairs. I wouldn't want to cruise until I was able to use my arm better. It would be hard moving the luggage around plus if the ship hits some seas, you only have 1 arm to balance yourself. Not to mention the people who only care about themselves with no regard for your wounded wing. You may need ice to cool down your shoulder and or pain meds, it could also interfere with your therapy. Each person is different, mine has been pain free, plus with great range of motion but it is a pain having your arm in a sling especially if it is your dominate hand. Going to the windjammer would not be easy with only one arm. I am cruising 10 weeks after surgery & I am hoping that I don't have issues then. Good luck with the operation.

This. I would definitely advise the OP to check with the doctor first for all of the reasons you mentioned.

This. I would definitely advise the OP to check with the doctor first for all of the reasons you mentioned.

I am not trying to tell the OP not to cruise, I am just saying the things that you don't think about before the operation. It is not easy doing a one armed life style. As you said, check with your Dr.

I had the EXACT same plan when I had my rotator cuff surgery in January. Man I am tellin you...thank God I reconsidered. I have had two back surgeries and the shoulder procedure kicked my a$$. There is no way I could have made the cruise. The back surgery was a walk in the park compared to rotator cuff.

I would strongly suggest u reconsider or at minimum consult your surgeon.

I waited until late April and so thankful that I did.

Hey stranger.. we cruised ya all many yrs ago on the princess.

Your wife had a stow away..

email if you like... lmen579 @ aol.com

Cathy & Lou

RJ I'd say that's great thinking... Perhaps I too have list my mind as well, cause that's what I'd do.:D

I thank everyone for great advice...

I am a non complaint nurse. Very high pain level.

Been doing therapy every day and still doing my full duty at work in a long term dementia unit. (hurt it that way too..)

No PT for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

Will pack an ice pack, my heating shoulder pad (will get a note from my primary dr.)

Not telling my surgeon cause I am not liking him... he is a comp dr. and has no sympathy of my insurance.... oh well he still is getting paid.

As for carrying luggage I have 2 wonderful caddies...

And YES I love the idea wont' have to worry about cooking, cleaning and etc.

Will eat finger foods.. lol or let my hubby feed me and make the other wives jealous.. haha...

Will do a daily review to let everyone know how it goes..

Cathy

Please run this plan by your doc. I have had rotator cuff surgery on both sides. Maybe not all cases are equal, but in my case my arm was strapped to my body for two weeks. I was not allowed to move it myself. That means no showers and the only time I could wash my upper body and change my shirt was the three days a week I went to therapy where one therapist would hold my arm while the other assisted me with washing and putting the clean shirt on. After those two weeks, therapy three days a week was mandatory and I had to do exercises on my own on the other days. These required elastic bands and hand weights. Your situation may be different, but please check with your doc.

In the end, it was all worth it as I have full range of motion with both arms.

A friend of mine just had this surgery about a month ago. She left the hospital with an ice pack for her arm and shoulder which was battery operated or electric. I didn't see the machine but she loved it. You will have to have ice packs so you might want to see if you will be given one of these automatic ice packs. That would make the ice easier.

Hey stranger.. we cruised ya all many yrs ago on the princess.

Your wife had a stow away..

email if you like... lmen579 @ aol.com

Cathy & Lou

I took a screenshot of your info. We are actually flying to FLL at this very moment for a cruise. I will email you when we get back home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you've already passed final payment, so looks like you're going. I'm a pretty avid cruiser. I had Rotator cuff surgery in 2012 and no way I would have done it. I was in an abductor cushion for 6 weeks. I slept very little. Could not put any weight on my arm for weeks. Just no fun. Hopefully yours will be easier (mine was 2 pretty bad tears). But good luck. At the very least you can enjoy sitting and watching the ocean while people wait on you. Not too bad. But for all of us who went through this, let us know how you make out.

OP stated she is a nurse so I imagine she has an idea of what she is looking at.

Some folks handle surgery better/different than others.

More than once I have seen ships personnel assist folks especially in the buffet.

I am sure you will be fine! Enjoy your cruise!

I thank everyone for great advice...

I am a non complaint nurse. Very high pain level.

Been doing therapy every day and still doing my full duty at work in a long term dementia unit. (hurt it that way too..)

No PT for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

Will pack an ice pack, my heating shoulder pad (will get a note from my primary dr.)

Not telling my surgeon cause I am not liking him... he is a comp dr. and has no sympathy of my insurance.... oh well he still is getting paid.

As for carrying luggage I have 2 wonderful caddies...

And YES I love the idea wont' have to worry about cooking, cleaning and etc.

Will eat finger foods.. lol or let my hubby feed me and make the other wives jealous.. haha...

Will do a daily review to let everyone know how it goes..

Cathy

Hi Cathy!

I am a PT. Want me to join you on the cruise so we can "ensure" you are correctly doing your exercises? 😉😆 That means I can write the cruise off as work related...LOL