Cruise Critic Community
mitsugirly

Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

Hello, I have read your reviews before, but this one, in regard to the Fascination, since I have been having computer problems, I was not able to read very much, only the first part of you staying at the nice hotel.

I have seen your postings before, and just happened to come along of this one on the Fascination, and thought I would ask you a question or two, even though it has been a while since you have been on this ship.

It has been "years" since I have been to St. Kitts, and that is on the itinerary for next year for the Fascination. Since I was unable to read very little of what you did at the different ports/island, what would you suggest that two older ladies check out? I am very familiar with San Juan as well, and some of the other ports, especially St. Lucia, where I fell in love with it! That is why we are planning on doing it, because of St. Lucia, and taking the Cosol tour, which is top in my book.

Can you tell me other than the dining rooms and main buffet, what are the areas or names called where we can get free food? I know this is an older ship, and we just got off the Magic, so I don't expect it to have all that the large Magic ship had, but was just wondering about the free food areas.

Hi besheers. Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. I haven't been on the boards too much lately and life has been busy.

It looks like others have answered you on the foods. All Carnival ships have the pizza and deli (or made to order sandwiches) on them. So, you're in luck. Yes, Fascination has the Guys Burgers and the Iguana for food during certain times of the day.

As for St Kitts, we are not tour people and usually only head to the beach when in port. We just love the beach and ocean, which...if possible...will include snorkeling if available. We have only been to Reggae and Carambola in St Kitts...both for a beach day. I'm honestly not too impressed with St Kitts. I guess the highlight of St Kitts is usually taking a drive to Timothy Hill. It's on top of the mountain and overlooks both the Atlantic ocean on the left side and Caribbean ocean on the right. But it's only a small 5-10 stop on the side of the road that you either get to see on a tour of the island or on your way to one of the popular beaches. :)

Hi Kim!

We will be doing this cruise in Oct 2018. Thank you for writing this review. Gives us lots of info what to expect at these new ports we will be going to.

One of the new ports is St. Lucia. We are beach cruisers and need to ask you, what is the easiest, cheap & fastest way to get to pitons/Jalousie Beach?

We are not into touring the island. Just want to hang out at the beach.

Thanks Again!

Thank you for your answers back. The main reason I ask about St. Kitts, I really didn't find much that I liked about it, and thought, perhaps things were better there, but it doesn't sound that way too much. Yes we like the beach as well, so that may be what we do.

Thank you for your answers back. The main reason I ask about St. Kitts, I really didn't find much that I liked about it, and thought, perhaps things were better there, but it doesn't sound that way too much. Yes we like the beach as well, so that may be what we do.

We loved St Kitts. We toured with Javin of My Islands. Here is a copy of my review of the day.

We saw so much. Javin also brought along his monkey Peaches. We started the day in an open safari vehicle. We went to his old neighborhood to see an old cotton mill where he and his friends played as kids. On the way, my husband told me something didn’t sound right with the truck. Shortly after, Javin advised we would stop by his house to switch vehicles after we go to the rainforest. The rainforest hike is a workout. Everybody was sweaty after that. Next we stopped at his house to switch vehicles. David said Javin was holding out. This was a nice bus with plenty of room to spread out and air conditioning. Next we went to Black Rocks. Javin had a picnic with different types of empanadas from the Island Bakery. He also had water and soap so we could wash our hands. From my research about St Kitts, only a few vendors go down on the rocks. Javin set up a safety rope and took us down. It was nice to get up close to it. Our next stop was a rocky beach area for snorkeling. I am not a great swimmer and struggled to keep up. The three girls are great swimmers and later admitted to struggling as well. They said he moved through the water like a mermaid. The monkey snorkeled with us. I thought of retreating to shore at one point but I eventually caught up because the group reached one of the spots and were heading 94522e37299cc11ee84ba06969f5a9b3.jpgback closer to my direction. My advice on this one is to snorkel on your own near the shore, if you are not a strong swimmer. After snorkeling, Javin took us to Frigate Bay (I think that was the name) for some beach time. There was also some close to shore snorkeling at this beach. Javin set out some more empanadas. We headed back to the ship at 3PM. It took less than 30 minutes to get back. This was a packed, fun, tiring day.

2218eb9999981047d68bc9d6eead4985.jpg23435f0ed0114cb2f86e741922b35fef.jpgg3d1b743580c85f7281e810f0e0213e69.jpg

dd5bd58ed43d5c09e0ee408d96d8a5d5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Kim!

We will be doing this cruise in Oct 2018. Thank you for writing this review. Gives us lots of info what to expect at these new ports we will be going to.

One of the new ports is St. Lucia. We are beach cruisers and need to ask you, what is the easiest, cheap & fastest way to get to pitons/Jalousie Beach?

We are not into touring the island. Just want to hang out at the beach.

Thanks Again!

We absolutely loved St Lucia and going to the Pitons. I'm not really sure about the cheapest way but it was pretty easy and fast using Spencers and we had an amazing time! If you are only going to the beach (and not doing the mud bath or anything) you'll get prime seating at the beach since you'll get there first. It's amazing snorkeling for sure! Have a wonderful time :)

Yea, we aren't too thrilled with St Kitts either. If I ever go back, I'll head to the same beach as Carambola and go to Discovery or Ship wreck. I absolutely loved the black sand. It was so pretty and sparkled like diamonds in the sun. :D

Is everyone else seeing the news about Little French Key? I got an email about their buildings being set on fire and then this morning saw news that their animals have been removed. Yikes. We loved going here last time we were in Roatan - the kids keep asking to go back next time.

Is everyone else seeing the news about Little French Key? I got an email about their buildings being set on fire and then this morning saw news that their animals have been removed. Yikes. We loved going here last time we were in Roatan - the kids keep asking to go back next time.

Head over to the Ports of Call pages. There are multiple conversations about LFK over there. Tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do you use for your under water camera? Your pictures are amazing!!

Now one thing I wanted to show you about the entrance to the water where we were located at. There were a bunch of rocks/shells right as you go in the water.

P8161582%20copy-L.jpg

P8161575%20copy-L.jpg

We swam some more and enjoyed more of these guys...

P8161602%20copy-L.jpg

P8161600%20copy-L.jpg

What do you use for your under water camera mitsugirly? Your pictures are amazing!!

If you look at the beginning of most of her reviews (newer ones anyway) I believe she lists her camera as its a popular question. I think she has the Olympus Tough camera. I can tell you I have the Olympus TG4 and it is amazing for underwater pictures and above water too! The Toughs are a bit pricey though.

What do you use for your under water camera? Your pictures are amazing!!

See the Cameras section of post #1.

Hi Kim....I have missed your posts on FB and tried to message you to see if all was okay and saw that your account was cancelled. I still would like to keep up with you and if you are on another link can you e me the link? cac104 at aol dot com.

Hi Kim....I have missed your posts on FB and tried to message you to see if all was okay and saw that your account was cancelled. I still would like to keep up with you and if you are on another link can you e me the link? cac104 at aol dot com.

I noticed that too. I hope all is well.