Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

CCHelp

Hello fellow solos,

I am looking for a 9-14 day solo Alaska cruise 2017.

Can do last minute. The NCL Sun 5/15 SF-Vanc 14

would be great at low or no SS.

Please email me if you see anything.

Thanks, Rick

grickpt at gmail dot com

Hello fellow solos,

I am looking for a 9-14 day solo Alaska cruise 2017.

Can do last minute. The NCL Sun 5/15 SF-Vanc 14

would be great at low or no SS.

Please email me if you see anything.

Thanks, Rick

grickpt at gmail dot com

This is simply, a jackpot itinerary. :) I've got my eye on this as well. they have been discounting the double occupancy. I'd suggest checking daily. But, I wouldn't expect the single supplement to drop off until a lot closer to sailing. Probably less than a week prior. I've already blocked out this time, to be able to jump if it becomes available. I can only hope. :)

• 2 weeks later...

$350 for one person for a 7 day Eastern Mediterranean???? Oh, I wish I could get away! Note: there are deals all over the place right now on WOW, Norwegian Air, and Air Canada between the US and London for under $400. Find one of those flights and then an Easy Jet or such inside Europe and someone could pull this off for $1000 inclusive.

• 2 weeks later...
This is NOT a bargain. Checked the Celebrity Tuesday specials and the solo supplement on all "specials" are 200 % with a few at 225%! Never, in the past, saw more than 200%.

What? 225% that's not a supplement, that's a penalty! That makes no sense whatsoever. I'd be calling Celebrity on that one and making a lot of noise about it. I understand some single supplement. Certainly the line loses revenue if one person travels and there is no supplement. But even 200% (which I realize most lines charge) seems a little unreasonable to me. One person isn't going to eat for two (in most cases ;)), probably won't go through the same number of towels, tissues, etc. I know those are rather minor and the expense of staff stays the same for the line. But 225%? Why on earth would they do that for solo travelers unless they're against singles and solos?

It is not uncommon - but rarely you see it written down in percentage.

Mostly you just notice, when you check prices for a cruise you want to do. Then you have to learn that you are not able to book the cheaper categories within the "metacategory" (for example B is divided in BA - BB-BC-BD-BE and BX) - they are not available for single occupancy. The first available is the most expensive one - so you pay three or four times the price.

See this (same cruise, first double, second single):

dfzth1vm9r1e4oxi3.jpg

The cheapest balcony double (it was low season) was 449 € per person - if you would like to have a solo balcony cabin, you have to pay 1712 € - 4 times the price because they will not sell you the cheaper categories.

And you have to know - port taxes and fees are included in this rates - so they charge them twice while the cruise lines are just charged per person.... ! So they keep this money too.

This example was MSC, but NCL does the same, other cruise lines too.

Wendy-Europe, thanks for the info and illustration... and that seems grossly unfair. I have to say, though, all of my cruises except one have been solo, and I have been able to choose from different levels of cabins within a category. I've also only paid one port tax and fee, not double. I have never sailed on MSC, but I have sailed with NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc. All my cruises have left from U.S. ports...do you think maybe they do it differently from European ports?

Thanks, Pam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Europe you must (by law) always show the total - all mandatory fees have to be included in the price you advertise (same applies for airline tickets - all fees and taxes must be included).

So if a cruiseline shows their prices, port fees and taxes are included in the rates. So if they charge twice the amount (or more), it is not twice the net rate and than they add fees and taxes. The supplement is added on base of the total.

200 % is very common.

And there are many cruiselines, which charge 200 % - but - as mentioned - close the cheaper categories for single occupancy. So in reality they charge 300 % and more.

And we all know - special offers for solo occupancy are just the last straw for the cruiselines to fill empty beds. Of course - a cruise line needs to make money - so they try to sell their beds for the highest possible price or the highest possible revenue.

Fortunately I am very open about dates, ports, cruiselines and I am able to go on a trip at very short notice. And there are many cruise ships and many cabins to fill. I alsso prefer to travel off season . So we always found a cruise or two per year.

NCL Getaway .............. 16 Nights ................ April 30 - May 16, 2017

Miami to Copenhagen

Zero Single Supplement on Inside and Oceanview

Guarantee Inside Solo $649

Guarantee OV Solo $949

Guarantee Balcony Solo $2098

Studio $2198 (:()

Port/Taxes: $166

OMG, I wish I had more vacation available to me...or was retired! I'd jump on the NCL TransAtlantic.

Plus for Canadian's the price is currently at par (at least for double occupancy in a balcony or higher). Solo pricing in Cdn $$ was $869 for an interior and $1271 for oceanview. Heck of a price for 16 nights and the itinerary is fantastic.

I did a similar cruise with Princess a couple of years ago. Loved the Azores! Rotterdam (Keukenhof Gardens) was incredible, Copenhagen was beautiful. Travelled with friends and we flew from Copenhagen back to London for 3 days before we headed home.

Wendy-Europe, thanks for the info and illustration... and that seems grossly unfair. I have to say, though, all of my cruises except one have been solo, and I have been able to choose from different levels of cabins within a category. I've also only paid one port tax and fee, not double. I have never sailed on MSC, but I have sailed with NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc. All my cruises have left from U.S. ports...do you think maybe they do it differently from European ports?

Thanks, Pam

Pam, They do the same thing here in the US. I just checked Celebrity Infinity for 5/17/17. They are selling veranda cabins at $1599 per person ($3198 for a couple), yet, when I change it to 1 person, the same cabin price jumps to $5298!:eek: Same cruise is selling interiors at $1179 per person if booking for two, but change it to 1 person, and they show no cabins available. Pat

Pam, They do the same thing here in the US. I just checked Celebrity Infinity for 5/17/17. They are selling veranda cabins at $1599 per person ($3198 for a couple), yet, when I change it to 1 person, the same cabin price jumps to $5298!:eek: Same cruise is selling interiors at $1179 per person if booking for two, but change it to 1 person, and they show no cabins available. Pat

Hi Pat, I just sailed Celebrity for the first time in January, a 4-night one on the Silhouette. Normally Celebrity is too pricey for me, but for this one, for some reason, the single supplement was quite low, about 30%. I had a balcony for about $569 plus fees. I booked 3-4 months ahead of time, probably with a Labor Day sale. I'm thinking maybe this sailing was not selling cabins as fast as they would have liked.

Pam

NCL Dawn ...... Repositioning: New Orleans to Boston ....... 12 Nights

April 23 - May 5, 2017

New Orleans * Cozumel * Roatan * Cartagena * San Juan * Tortola * Boston

Solo Inside Guarantee $974 plus p/t $193

Option for back to back cruises:

April 16 ..... 7 days roundtrip New Orleans ... Solo Inside Guarantee $449 plus p/t $146

It seems that often the transatlantics can be found at a good price. I have never done it. Wondered how the airfare would work. Do you end up paying a premium to fly to the port in the US, then return from Europe or vice versa?

With the advent of several Europe-based major carriers starting budget airlines to compete with Norwegian Air and Icelandic, more and more great one way fares are opening up, to/from more and more US airports. The best ones have a fare calendar which shows you the lowest fare for a route on all days of the month. This can make it well worth the traveler's while fly a day or two later, for instance and more than pay for the costs of a hotel/meals while waiting to board the flight.

Check out the following airlines:

Condor

Lift

Norwegian

Wow

and good old Icelandic.

In addition, the big transatlantic carriers are doing a lot of price-matching to try to keep the newer ones from getting a foothold.

Enjoy!

NCL Getaway .............. 16 Nights ................ April 30 - May 16, 2017

Miami to Copenhagen

Zero Single Supplement on Inside and Oceanview

Guarantee Inside Solo $649

Guarantee OV Solo $949

Guarantee Balcony Solo $2098

Studio $2198 (:()

Port/Taxes: $166

The Getaway cruise arrives in Copenhagen on May 16,2017. Getaway departs Copenhagen that date on a 9 day Baltic cruise. Inside ($899) and OV ($1049) guarantee, no supplement, for that sailing.

The Getaway cruise arrives in Copenhagen on May 16,2017. Getaway departs Copenhagen that date on a 9 day Baltic cruise. Inside ($899) and OV ($1049) guarantee, no supplement, for that sailing.

That Getaway TA cruise is a great deal!! I was booked on the return TA in October this year (Copenhagen to Miami) for only $998 (inside cabin) but had to cancel it. [emoji53]