Liberty of the Seas - Royal Suite Review - Aug 21 2016 Sailing

29143229350_06bddd0f1c_m.jpg

Cabin – The Royal Suite was fantastic. Every cabin should have a hot tub on the balcony.

Suite Attendant – Excellent - Edna did a great job and always called us by name

29323388932_cdeb21ded0_m.jpg

Cruise Director / Entertainment – Hard to Rate - Jeff Arpin – He was probably the most visible CD we have ever had. He was on the pier at every port welcoming us all back. We saw him a number of times riding the elevators interacting with guests. The Welcome Aboard Show was odd. The Band played a song, then a DreamWorks skit, and then Activities Manager came out, followed by the Shopping guy then Jeff. He then spoke for about 20 minutes followed by a marginally funny comedian. There was no excitement or no energy. I felt sorry for 1st time cruisers. The Welcome Aboard show is supposed to set the tone for the week. This show was bizarre. I don’t like Love and Marriage Shows where the couples sit back to back on stage the entire time. It's better when the men leave and then the women leave. The Headliners were 50/50 – The Ventriloquist was awful. The Female singer was great, but we did hear complaints from people saying she was too loud. In The Air and Saturday Night Fever were fantastic. I understand having Saturday Night Fever on Saturday, but we miss the Farewell Show. Missed the Quest.

Concierge – Carlos – Fair - We have sailed with Carlos a number of times. He is a nice guy but his attention to detail is lacking.

Suite Lounge - Fantastic venue - Bernie and Anthony did a good job refreshing our drinks. Love the tall glasses also. Wish they would have added a Coastal Kitchen. Very few Suite guests used the Lounge, only a bunch of Pinnacles.

Diamond lounge – Only visited once to say hello to Jorge. Was told the Scrubber installation would be completed by late Oct and the lounge would get its patio back

Internet Service – HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT - At the Meal with an Officer the IT Manager told us that Liberty is the only Freedom Class ship not outfitted with O3B satellite dishes. He said this was due to poor satellite coverage in the Western Caribbean. He said until the Liberty itinerary changes, Corporate has decided against real Voom for Liberty. I am really disappointed that RCCL markets it as Voom when it is not. Caveat emptor, BTW the 30% off is much cheaper than the Diamond Plus onboard discount. Skype video worked sometimes, iMessage, Facetime, Good client vpn worked. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and Slingbox worked after 6 mins of buffering. Periscope did not work!!!!!!

Food – (Subjective) – Very Good – Windjammer food was hot and had the appropriate seasoning. The Chops veal chop was outstanding and Sabor was fantastic. Bring back the Vidalia onion tart and the old mud pie!!!!!!

Room service – Very good – Ordered off the MDR menu multiple times. The food arrived quickly and was hot

Parking - Why don’t the parking companies encourage people to drop their bags off before parking? EZ Parking was fine.

Misc – No problem bringing a case of water in a duffle bag or an extension cord.

Special Shout outs – Galveston Steve, Karen & Bill and The Cabin Crawl Crew

Conclusion:

This was our 3rd time in The Royal Suite and we could definitely see some of the cut backs. No nightly gifts (wine, champagne etc) and no chocolate piano. #firstworldproblems. Lady Liberty is in fine condition. The Suite Lounge, Sabor, and the water slides are great upgrades. We probably won’t sail out of Galveston again because the NJ and FL ports are far more convenient. However, we found the Texas crowd to be the friendliest crowd we have ever sailed with.

Rating: I am going to deduct 5 points for the entertainment and 5 points for the FAKE Voom

Total score 90%

Another good vacation, we remain loyal to Royal.

This is Ken Jarvis and I approve this review - Thank you for reading and watching on Periscope.

Stay thirsty my friends…

28809849123_c8d5f9fe51.jpg

RKSister….BOOM

Thanks for a great review! We were in a grand suite on the same cruise. I can't believe you didn't get a chocolate piano because we did! I wonder why you got missed? I agree that Carlos was only fair. We had a much better experience with Nadja on Navigator also out of Galveston last year. We were one of the suite guests who did not utilize the suite lounge much but have already decided we will next time. Our experience with the food was it was much better than Navigator last year, so that was great! Room service we called a couple of times and were told it would be 45 minutes to an hour each time. Maybe you had priority being in the Royal Suite? Glad you enjoyed your cruise! We definitely did too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this specific post. We are newbies sailing to Jamaica and had no clue what to do there. What you did pretty much sums up what we would like to do. Seems very exciting! Better than paying an arm and a leg for a day resort pass.

28760063874_1a77b8604d_c.jpg

Jerk platter

28762712763_77ec64dbf4_c.jpg

The only thing dangerous in modern Jamaica is the $6 rum punches

28762712723_7861fb1d18_b.jpg

28760064144_52fd5aaa70_c.jpg

Another great beach day, now back to the port for patties. We saw the Capt standing on the pier, and asked him to take us to Labadee. He responded, "I'd love too."

29096396280_fa5109eb70_b.jpg

Another great sunset from the Suites Lounge

28762712523_80a656f06c_b.jpg

With 3 ships in port, it was a little crowded, but the tugboat crowd had a 3:30pm all aboard, so the beach thinned out by mid afternoon.

28762074063_afb09804a0_c.jpg

Skirt steak sandwich

28762073943_2ab8c79c8a_c.jpg

Wings

28762073893_3a5f25d188_b.jpg

Pizza

28762073873_8a9c2bcbdc_b.jpg

Another great beach day - Now back to the ship

28762073813_0cb09a42e4_c.jpg

28762073723_32d62ffb20_c.jpg

I loved your review: a picture is worth a thousand words. Anyway, do you happen to have a pic of Royal Palms' menu? I checked their website and it's currently unavailable. Also, we're 'lowly' gold members, how late could we safely stay at the beach in order to make the last couple of tenders?

Woke up backing into Falmouth, not pronounced Foul Mouth haha.

28760064074_3c8dac9cb7_c.jpg

Like Jon Snow, we walked beyond the wall, to our favorite restaurant in Jamaica - NAZZ for some local food. We felt very safe, and had no aggressive vendors or taxi drivers.

28762712963_d8e0428b71_b.jpg

Best curry chicken in the world

28760064034_1256422e1a_c.jpg

We then walked back to the port and hopped in a $20 pp round trip taxi van to Doctor's Cave Beach

28762712883_e39132493f_c.jpg

28760063994_97153a3d94_c.jpg

28762712813_b553178b2c_c.jpg

It's me again. Sorry about all the questions but travelling with two children (2 and 4), beach days might be our best options, so I'm curious about your time at Doctor's Cave. Did you arrange your transportation before hand or once you were on port? How long is the ride? How much is the entrance fee at Doctor's? How late can you stay there in order to make it back to the ship on time? Are there any other beaches closer to Falmouth that you would recommend? How about Red Stripe? It sounds like you've been to these ports of call several times. Thanks for your help.

how late could we safely stay at the beach in order to make the last couple of tenders?

They say the last tender and all aboard is 5:30pm. If you are adventurous, you could stay at the beach until 4:45 - 5:00 and be fine...

Anyway, do you happen to have a pic of Royal Palms' menu?

29355973041_68a98619d4_o.jpg

28814153893_e9056cdfb1_o.jpg