Classical music

Lordwanswell

Cunard generally have a string quartet, and a soloist performing during their cruises.

Kirker Holidays have several themed cruises utilising Fred Olsen

http://www.kirkerholidays.com/travel-in-style/music-cruise

The German Company Hapag-Lloyd Cruises once a year on their, German language,ship the Europa hold the 'Ocean Sun' Music Festival.

The following video features the 2014 cruise.

Holland America ALWAYS has classical music available in the evenings in the Explorers Lounge. In past years this has been provided by chamber-music quartets but in recent years (cost-savings downgrade) this has been done with piano-violin duet performers.

• 3 weeks later...
Which are the best cruises for classical music? I can't find any. We went on a two week Med cruise with P&O last year and found the entertainment very downmarket.

There was lovely chamber music daily on Oceania's Riviera last holiday season.

Our understanding is that this is a regular feature (or has been).

We used to read about classical music cruises, with members of a symphony on board, but those are harder to find nowadays.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

• 2 months later...

Lordwanswell

If you're still reading the thread, I want to confirm Adagio on Holland America ships is very nice, sometimes brilliant! The duo is always called Adagio, we have enjoyed on our last three cruises: an older man/younger woman, two young women, and a man-woman couple (together on and off stage I believe). They have been Romanian and/or Ukranian, maybe Russian, in each case.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To update a somewhat older thread....

HAL now has Lincoln Center Stage on many of their ships (Vista class for sure) and this is a great venue for classical music (and modern done classical style). We attended an amazing Brahms "Piano Quintet" concert consisting of piano, Cello and three violins. Wish we would have dropped in on more of the concerts there.

Edited by Sequim88

To update a somewhat older thread....

HAL now has Lincoln Center Stage on many of their ships (Vista class for sure) and this is a great venue for classical music (and modern done classical style). We attended an amazing Brahms "Piano Quartet" concert consisting of piano, Cello and three violins. Wish we would have dropped in on more of the concerts there.

How often did they have these classical concerts? Evenings? Earlier in the day?

Oceania has a small classical ensemble that was charming, in various venues depending upon time of day.

But unless we missed it (and that is entirely possible), there wasn't a full "evening program" like a "concert".

And was it by any chance generally pre-1900 music?

What is the "modern done classical style"? It reminds me of some time ago, hearing an arrangement of some Beatles tunes, as though they were Baroque style. Very interesting, and pleasant!

Thanks.

They usually had one in the afternoon and one early evening, before first dinner seating. Might have been an additional one one sea days. We did not get around to attending until the last sea day. They have a small low platform type stage and rows of comfortable chairs and sofas along the side and it is sort of partitioned off from the adjoining main hallway. Acoustics were very good with hard surfaces in the stage area and soft elsewhere.

Probably 50% pre 1900 (like Brahms) and the rest a mix. One day was classical takes on 60's, & 70's hits - ala Boston Pops. I'll grab my daily cruise schedules (Where & When) and see what else we missed. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this information. It seems like HAL and Oceania are good bets.

We have just been on a 19 day P&O cruise from Southampton to the Med and, again, the classical programme was fairly limited, but what there was was good. A classical guitarist for the sea days on the way out and a piano 4-hands duo on the way back. They both did three concerts, most of which were in the afternoon. So, given that classical music is a minority interest, I suppose I cannot complain. The evening music in the central bar (Tiffany's) was a "cocktail pianist" which I must admit I rather got to like. So I will probably stick to P&O as we rather like their British culture and reasonable booze prices.:)