Vista damages Marina in Italy

sbnuggie

As I'm watching a little water break over the marina dock, I'm thinking, that's not so bad, I wouldn't call it destruction. A few seconds later... holy :eek:

Often the ship creates a "suction" that can pull things towards it.

do not assume it was "prop wash",

If this interaction can suck water from the beach, a ship from its mooring, it can suck out a dock and small craft too.

This is clearly not "sucking water" (and any floating objects) towards the ship. The water level inside the marina does not drop. It's quite safe to assume it was prop wash. The wake from the ship (prop wash) is pushing everything away from the ship, to include the dock and boats.

This, and the giant ships in Venice, are what give cruising a bad name.

Really? Of everything that has happened in the cruising world, this is the one giving cruising a bad name? This must be comedy hour.

Sent from my iPhone

Hello all,

Anyone else seen this video of Vista destroying a small marina in Italy with its propeller wash as the ship was leaving port. The incident occurred this past Sunday as the Carnival Vista was departing Messina, Sicily. Security video shows the wash from the props destroying the marina:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=726_1472759193

That is why the stock was down 5% today.

As I'm watching a little water break over the marina dock, I'm thinking, that's not so bad, I wouldn't call it destruction. A few seconds later... holy :eek:

This is clearly not "sucking water" (and any floating objects) towards the ship. The water level inside the marina does not drop. It's quite safe to assume it was prop wash. The wake from the ship (prop wash) is pushing everything away from the ship, to include the dock and boats.

Believe what you wish, but at just a few knots speed, it was not prop wash. I stand by what I stated.

Lol, try Geico

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Isn't Carnival self insured? If not, insured with Lloyd's of London? I don't see it affecting my insurance premiums, but I do see it affecting stockholders of Carnival which I do not own. Stoickholders always take it in the shorts when stuff like this happens.

Edited by elliair

Isn't Carnival self insured? If not, insured with Lloyd's of London? I don't see it affecting my insurance premiums, but I do see it affecting stockholders of Carnival which I do not own. Stoickholders always take it in the shorts when stuff like this happens.

They do have insurance, but I do not know what it covers and what it does and what it does not cover. My guess is that the affect on stock prices (which we see already - I did not see quarterly earning reports, so I am guessing this is the instigator) will most likely be temporary. You are correct that stockholders take the hits on things like this, as well as the profits long term.

Believe what you wish, but at just a few knots speed, it was not prop wash. I stand by what I stated.

I just looked again. I think it started it, but there is way too much wave action long AFTER the ship slipped away to be just a wash. May have been undertow too coming back. Your theory isn't way off. We also don't know if there was a cement dock in the rear we cannot see that helped keep the water non free flowing.

I just looked again. I think it started it, but there is way too much wave action long AFTER the ship slipped away to be just a wash. May have been undertow too coming back. Your theory isn't way off. We also don't know if there was a cement dock in the rear we cannot see that helped keep the water non free flowing.

Look at the photos posted above. Prop wash started nothing. Oh yeah, maybe a little water disturbance, but the ship wasn't doing 20 knots either- more a snail's pace at that time.

Would you like to see another image or two?

Titanic's sister ship, "Olympic" drew the HMS Hawke, a smaller British navy cruiser into her in 1911. This is not a photo but an artist's representation.

It matters not that this was over 100 years ago. The laws of physics have yet to change.

hqdefault.jpg

Olympic-damage-HMS-Hawke-painting.jpg

Now, this occurred in open seas, and Olympic was not going slow, and Hawke was passing close to her, like the dock was with Vista.

They do have insurance, but I do not know what it covers and what it does and what it does not cover. My guess is that the affect on stock prices (which we see already - I did not see quarterly earning reports, so I am guessing this is the instigator) will most likely be temporary. You are correct that stockholders take the hits on things like this, as well as the profits long term.

Instead of price reductions, we'll see price increases--all around, just not on Carnival cruise ships alone.

It was wash from one of the ships pods that flooded the marina. Yes she was only doing a few knots in the forward direction, but her port pod (at the least) was was turned about 45 degrees to starboard and at over 50% thrust to quickly move the ship away from striking the shore line.

As Loubetti mentioned these are common hydrodynamic forces. It happens a lot on the Houston ship channel. We had a ship 2 years ago pass another one and broke her moorings at the dock. Caused over 250k in damages.

Vista is the first of her class, dating back to the destiny, to have pods.