Cinque Terre: NY Times Profile, Tips, Secrets??!!

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section yesterday morning, they have this headline: "36 Hours in the Cinque Terre" with a sub-head of: "This wildly rugged slice of Ligurian coast with its five tiny towns is a delight for hikers, foodies and wine enthusiasts."

Among the story highlights are "A century ago the Cinque Terre were simply five fishing villages on an unforgiving stretch in northwestern Italy. With trains came tourism, and now throngs arrive daily to see it all: the startlingly vibrant color of the Mediterranean, the wildly rugged coastline sliced by scenic hiking trails, and the tiny towns tucked like puzzle pieces into the cliffs. The region has recovered from the mudslides and flooding of 2011. But another threat still looms: over-tourism. Possible remedies? Widen the scope of your itinerary to include neighboring towns (Levanto to the north and Portovenere to the south), seek out lesser-known trails and travel off-season when crowds are thinner."

This feature has an interactive map, lots of pictures and options to consider, etc. We had planned to visit Cinque Terre in June 2011, but the weather didn't cooperated for us that day and we had to adjust our plan/schedule. But, YES, for the future, it is still on our must-see, to-do priority list for when next heading back to wonderful Italy.

Here was a good dining tip in this profile: "While most visitors are vying for seats at the same dozen restaurants touted by seemingly every guidebook, shake the crowds by dining at a worthy newcomer in Riomaggiore. Opened last summer, Rio Bistrot is a modern osteria nestled above the village’s minuscule harbor serving dishes that showcase the bounty of the local sea. At a table on the stone terrace, watch fishermen haul in the day’s catch while savoring buttered toasts topped with plump anchovies from Monterosso (13 euros) and paccheri with fresh mussels from Riomaggiore (15 euros). And book in advance; this spot won’t remain undiscovered for long."

From those who visited Cinque Terre, anything major missing or needing updating from the NY Times reported?

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/01/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-the-cinque-terre-italy.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 216,600 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are just three of the interesting pictures shown in this NY Times profile. These visuals are really building up excitement for visiting this dramatic and scenic location.:

TravelSept162_zpssmgn3pq1.jpg

TravelSept163_zpshmfog83r.jpg

TravelSept161_zpsbmhdprjf.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Thanks for posting this. This is on our list and we are actually going to take a train after our cruise from Civitavecchia to Cinque Terre. I know people head to this area doing a day trip on a cruise, but I don't think you could do it justice in an afternoon. Really looking forward to this next July.

Here is what you get from a day in C.t.

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/549

hubofhockey: Thanks for posting this. This is on our list and we are actually going to take a train after our cruise from Civitavecchia to Cinque Terre. I know people head to this area doing a day trip on a cruise' date=' but I don't think you could do it justice in an afternoon. [b']Really looking forward to this next July.[/b]

Appreciate these very good follow-ups!! Nice range of pictures from this scenic area by our fellow traveler from the D.C.-Baltimore area. For our Boston-area friend, good luck with your upcoming travels to Italy.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 62,597 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We'll be taking the train to Cinque Terre from Civi after our cruise next month. I also saw the article in the Sunday NYT and it made me feel even more excited.

We have a BnB booked in Vernazza on the small bay in town with a window overlooking the water. We booked 4 nights to give us the opportunituy to hike some of the trails between the villages and not have to rush "as much" as we visit Cinque Terre. Friends visited recently and said there is an abundance of wonderful seafood from small restaurants in the villages, but that it was quite crowded in July. With our arrival at the end of the tourist season we are hoping for fewer crowds...our BnB host said this will be a good time to visit.

I can hardly wait!! ~~Judy

We'll be taking the train to Cinque Terre from Civi after our cruise next month. I also saw the article in the Sunday NYT and it made me feel even more excited.

We have a BnB booked in Vernazza on the small bay in town with a window overlooking the water. We booked 4 nights to give us the opportunituy to hike some of the trails between the villages and not have to rush "as much" as we visit Cinque Terre. Friends visited recently and said there is an abundance of wonderful seafood from small restaurants in the villages, but that it was quite crowded in July. With our arrival at the end of the tourist season we are hoping for fewer crowds...our BnB host said this will be a good time to visit.

I can hardly wait!! ~~Judy

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the train from Civi makes sense. I do like the idea of doing this after a cruise to decompress and relax. We'll book a boat tour and do a couple walks/hikes, but this is more about taking it all in for us and enjoying the views food and wine.

I think 4 nights will get you into B&Bs. We only have a couple of nights and reserved a room overlooking the water in Monterosso.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the train from Civi makes sense. I do like the idea of doing this after a cruise to decompress and relax. We'll book a boat tour and do a couple walks/hikes, but this is more about taking it all in for us and enjoying the views food and wine.

I think 4 nights will get you into B&Bs. We only have a couple of nights and reserved a room overlooking the water in Monterosso.

About 90 days before the day you plan to take the train to Cinque Terre (http://www.trenitalia.com/) start watching the schedule and the fares. I found out they only post the schedules and start selling tickets about 90 days out. We booked the first day the schedule was posted (actually received an email reminder from them)and bought 1st class with reserved seats at 2 for 1 pricing. We got the same deal for 5 days later when we'll take the train to Rome. This means more money for fresh fish and later gelato.:D

Yes, we feel fortunate to be booked in Vernazza. So many steps in the village and our BnB has none to climb from the train station to the BnB. Friends told us that the steps took a toll after a few days and they quickly learned to not forget anything in their room that needed to go back for. We want to save our energy for exploring! ~~Judy

• 2 years later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they had this headline: “The nation that's a work of art: Incredible images show why Italy is considered to be the world's most beautiful country” with these highlights: Some say that Italy is the most beautiful country on earth. Any doubters might like to cast an eye over these incredible images of the Italian landscape - and then reconsider. The jaw-dropping pictures are all from a new book in Amber Books' Visual Explorer Guide series called Italy, by Claudia Martin.

This includes a spotlight on Cinque Terre.  See one picture included below.  

Here is more as to what the author has summarized for Italy: "Claudia writes: 'The fifth most visited country in the world, Italy is steeped in history: Bologna is the world's oldest university, St Peter's Basilica in Rome is the world's largest church and the leaning tower of Pisa is the world's most tilting structure.  'But with its mountains and lakes, islands and beaches, the Italian peninsula is much more than its ruins and museum pieces in scale, beauty and power.' "

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7123617/Incredible-images-Italy-one-worlds-beautiful-countries.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 28,866 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is one feature visual in this profile from Cinque Terre and and showing its scenic village of Riomaggiore.:

2094619708_ScreenShot2019-06-11at11_14_46AM.thumb.png.1a259650557ce21be3c23b4ad1b93ba5.png

Just wanted to add that the street shown ending at the water is very steep to walk down--your transport will stop near the highest buildings you can see in this shot.  Good walking shoes or sneakers highly recommended!  When we were there, for balance I occasionally reached out to the buildings we passed and I'm short!