New Ship 2020

MattyBarlow

Good morning,

This is Paul Ludlow, P&O Cruises SVP, we are delighted to announce that P&O Cruises is to build a next-generation cruise ship for delivery in 2020. It will be the largest cruise ship to be built specifically for British guests.

The new ship will exceed 180,000 gross tons and will accommodate approximately 5,200 guests (lower berths). Through an innovative use of space, the ship will offer an extensive range of dining, entertainment and relaxing features.

The ship will be built by Meyer Werft at its shipyard in Papenburg, Germany and will feature the company’s exclusive “green cruising” design as one of the first generation of cruise ships to be fully powered by Liquefied Natural Gas, shipping’s most advanced fuel technology, which will significantly reduce air emissions.

The number of British passengers taking a cruise in the past five years has significantly increased, boosted most recently by our very successful launch of Britannia last year. We know there is still huge potential as more and more people realise the value for money, choice and range of dining and entertainment options available on ships of all sizes. With an amazing range of itineraries, from two days to three months, there is a cruise to suit every budget.

This ship will be the largest in the P&O Cruises fleet, will have a striking new exterior and interior design and will include the company’s classic and iconic features. We are also developing and exploring new signature guest experiences, details of which will be announced soon.

Exciting times!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why do we need ships so big. Britannia in the school holidays around the pools was a nightmare so can only imagine how bad it would be on an even bigger ship.

Ventura and Azura size for us is ideal

Big ships are cheaper to run and make more profit ;)

My husband & I are excited about a new ship, who wouldn't be. However, we would have preferred P&O to have gone smaller rather than larger.

We adore Britannia - she is gorgeous and has a wonderful array of facilities, but we do think that they are missing a trick with not providing a smaller size ship for passengers who like them, including ourselves. We've been on 'yacht-size' ships, as well as cruising on Adonia a couple of times, and love those sizes just as much as large ships - they all have something different to offer.

We will certainly try the new ship out. The only thing we hope is that P&O give her cabins deeper balconies!

We wait with bated breath....... :rolleyes:

I do think that 180000 is a bit big for them. Another Britannia size would have been adequate in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having been on Oasis and Allure, it will be interesting to see where it can actually dock. That is the main issue with the two RCCL biggies - limited ports of call, therefore limited itineries

That's interesting, maybe Carnival have changed the Costa ship due be delivered in 2020 to P&O. The facts on the Costa build are quite mind boggling:

The second of two 5,200-passenger vessels to be built for Costa Cruises, which will be able to accommodate 6,600 passengers at maximum capacity. The ships will be largest in the world by passenger capacity.

That's a lot of passengers.

A few more details here http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7218

I'd forgotten about embarkation!

The Caribbean is going to be full of ships in the coming winter years.

Would almost certainly be what was meant to be a Costa ship. They have another one being launched in 2019 so we can be nosy about deck plans a bit sooner.

Edited by CCFC

I wonder how P&O's embarkation system will cope with that !!

I suspect the passengers will be split over three days at Southampton with each group embarking early morning on each of the days. This will please loads of people, fourth day the ship will set sail.

Lol John

As a very regular P&O passenger, errr Guest, of many years, the Britannia is to my mind poorly thought out with minuscule balconies, no promenade and bland, bland rooms with the exception of the atrium. Whatever happened to the experience of being on a ship, where nautical, oriental and beautifully sculptured experiences are abound, thankfully most of P&O's other ships maintain this atmosphere in one or more ways but are they doomed with the advent of these mega monsters which are transporters of 'guests' from a to b. Why can't the designers think outside of a Premier Inn mindset and provide a vessel which is a cruise ship and not a container vessel for guests.

Bal

Pleased to see that half of the people who have replied to this thread about the new ship wont be sailing on it - great !! means I wont have to spend my holidays with them !!

Exciting news !! I cant wait to see what it will be like - I will be booking to go onboard !!

Pleased to see that half of the people who have replied to this thread about the new ship wont be sailing on it - great !! means I wont have to spend my holidays with them !!

Exciting news !! I cant wait to see what it will be like - I will be booking to go onboard !!

I am sure they said Britannia was too big, not having a great deal of difficulty filling her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Certainly not for us! We tried Azura in the maiden season and felt it was just too big. As for Britannia, we have read enough in the many and varied reviews not to bother trying her. Smaller cabins and worst still balconies than we feel acceptable.

We don't live in a block of flats, nor do we want to stay in a block of flats on holiday.

The big ships mean less personal space for cabins and balconies and crowded public areas. Sounds like hell to us.

Pile it high, sell it cheap springs to mind.

Val