New Ship 2020

MattyBarlow

I think I read on here that the name Olympia was registered at the same time as Britannia. Might be just rumour though.

Curious, and I guess it could be one they register to prevent other companies from using it.

I remember hearing about what a nightmare it can be for car companies to come up with unique names for their cars. I think it was when Porsche launched the Cayenne. Legal had to go through a lot to make sure it would be unique to the marque. (Some argue that's why others give their cars numbers... a lot easier. ;) )

I'm assuming that its more or less the same for cruise companies. Considering the company had used Britannia in the past - not as big an issue as probably Ventura and Azura may have been.

Very disappointing that there will be another monster instead of a new mid sized ship. Even Azura is too big for me though my next cruise is on her. As long as she has Aurora Oriana and Arcadia I will stay with P and O . When they go I'll have to look elsewhere.

Agree Clodia. In the interests of curiosity I tried short cruises on Anthem and Harmony, as well as NCL Escape. there was absolutely no sensation of being on a ship. No movement at all and not even the comforting and soporific murmur of the engines. I may as well have been in a resort. I want to feel I am at sea and watch the ocean. Also worth noting is that ships the size of the Oasis class and such cannot tender ashore - too many pax, and only life craft, no tenders! - so extremely limiting as to ports.

So, definitely not for me thanks.

Curious, and I guess it could be one they register to prevent other companies from using it.

I remember hearing about what a nightmare it can be for car companies to come up with unique names for their cars. I think it was when Porsche launched the Cayenne. Legal had to go through a lot to make sure it would be unique to the marque. (Some argue that's why others give their cars numbers... a lot easier. ;) )

I'm assuming that its more or less the same for cruise companies. Considering the company had used Britannia in the past - not as big an issue as probably Ventura and Azura may have been.

just stick another word in front or behind such as Celestyl Olympia formerly Thomson Destiny.

P&O fly cruises are repetitive. I did Venice-Genoa-Venice but would not do it again. I know Oceana now cruises from Malta but P&O are on probation and need to up their game considerably on my Ventura cruise this xmas.

Now they have another ship coming I would like to see them base a ship in the far east for fly cruises (Hong Kong or Singapore). Not necessarily the new ship, but a ship. These type of ports only seem to appear on the world cruises and we can't all do those, We did a section of the world cruise from HK to Mumbai a few years ago and would like to return to ports in that area.

Very disappointing that there will be another monster instead of a new mid sized ship. Even Azura is too big for me though my next cruise is on her. As long as she has Aurora Oriana and Arcadia I will stay with P and O . When they go I'll have to look elsewhere.

Agree. We disliked Azura and would not sail on a ship of that size again. If Oriana and Arcadia go, then we will go to companies that have smaller ships. Simple.

We also like our sea days and the feeling of being on a ship. If I wanted to be in a resort I would book a land holiday.

Now they have another ship coming I would like to see them base a ship in the far east for fly cruises (Hong Kong or Singapore). Not necessarily the new ship, but a ship. These type of ports only seem to appear on the world cruises and we can't all do those, We did a section of the world cruise from HK to Mumbai a few years ago and would like to return to ports in that area.

Totally agree with this.... I am Surprised they haven't already put a Ship there in the winter months

Have we abandoned all hope of Adonia coming back?

I too prefer smaller to medium ships but like a balcony so that restricts on some smaller lines

I have been on two Celebrity ships - Eclipse and Constellation and liked both of these - not huge and handled the number of pax very well

I personally think that this is great news. P&O seem to be catering to two very distinct markets – the family market with Ventura, Azura, Britannia + new ship – and the adult only market with the smaller ships.

As someone in the 25-34 with a family, who often cruises with parents also, we absolutely love the bigger ships with their variety of eating, drinking and entertainment venues. I’ve not had any issues on Britannia or Ventura with overcrowding although I do acknowledge that it could happen on occasion.

I hope that come winter 2020 we see Britannia and the new ship in the Caribbean both offering 7 and 14 night cruises (as apparently the 7 nights on Britannia are proving really popular) along with, say, Azura in the Far East. That would leave Ventura with her indoor pool to serve Southampton on the family side. On the adult only side, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora and Oceana would all work well doing a variety of shorter and longer itineraries.

Come summer 2021, one would hope that Azura could then come and offer med fly-cruises. Yes, Ventura was not popular but it was their first season back fly-cruising, and with her covered pool she was the wrong ship to be in the med. Also, P&O seemed to indicate that the shift to Oceana was due to the Venice restrictions as opposed to poor demand. That said, it would be good to see a second fly-med ship.

just stick another word in front or behind such as Celestyl Olympia formerly Thomson Destiny.

P&O fly cruises are repetitive. I did Venice-Genoa-Venice but would not do it again. I know Oceana now cruises from Malta but P&O are on probation and need to up their game considerably on my Ventura cruise this xmas.

Dave, I'm Ventura at Christmas too!

bee-ess

I like your idea - Far Eastern cruises would be amazing !!

Cruisefan2012

These things take years to organise. Apparently as Thomson will be getting 3 ships in the next 3 years someone at HQ has noted that they have an airline and fly to Thailand which might be useful as the Caribbean will be stuffed full. Competition for P&O ;)

Yes they did but the bookings on Ventura were poor and the discounts high.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Didn't realise that. I just thought that they had no option and that Ventura would be the preferred ship for them for the fly cruises.

I just hope that they don't get rid of Oceana. We love her and that atrium is always a joy. It is interesting that on the T.V. adverts they use the larger ships for the external shots but always feature Oceana's atrium. She still has that little bit of Princess glamour ;)

As regards P&O basing a ship in the far east I doubt that would ever happen, Carnival have a range of lines offering different things in various markets and I believe that Princess is their choice for offering far east based cruises.

I can possibly see Aida or Costa wanting a far east presence because of the language, but even then only if Carnival felt they could fill their ships with Germans or Italians, but for UK customers they will be pushing Princess.

I hope the designers put a middle staircase on the new ship.

Celebrity's Eclipse, also built at Papenberg, only has fwd and midships stairs and lifts, but you never get anything like the problems experienced on Azura/Ventura never mind those appalling problems on Britannia.

Celebrity's Eclipse, also built at Papenberg, only has fwd and midships stairs and lifts, but you never get anything like the problems experienced on Azura/Ventura never mind those appalling problems on Britannia.

I agree, although just because it's built at the same boatyard doesn't mean the design attributes will carry over. However I'm glad the next ship isn't a Princess designed layout.

Eclipse is a tad larger than Azura/Ventura but with a lot less passengers so the two lift and stair positions works well.

Britannia...... what a horrible experience with the lifts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, although just because it's built at the same boatyard doesn't mean the design attributes will carry over. However I'm glad the next ship isn't a Princess designed layout.

Eclipse is a tad larger than Azura/Ventura but with a lot less passengers so the two lift and stair positions works well.

Britannia...... what a horrible experience with the lifts.

RCI's Quantum class and Oasis class only have fwd and midship stairs and lifts, but they both have aft galleys like Eclipse, and presumably have adequate size and numbers of lifts which is why their passengers don't experience the same problems.

RCI's Quantum class and Oasis class only have fwd and midship stairs and lifts, but they both have aft galleys like Eclipse, and presumably have adequate size and numbers of lifts which is why their passengers don't experience the same problems.

Yes I agree, again. Well designed ships. We had no lift issues on Anthem and are on Oasis next year. Comes down to the planning.

"fwd and midships stairs and lifts, but you never get anything like the problems experienced on Azura/Ventura never mind those appalling problems on Britannia."

I have cruised on Azura/Ventura every year sometimes twice a year since both ships entered service and have never experienced problems with the lifts, what are the appalling problems these ships suffer from in respect of the lifts.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers