New Ship 2020

MattyBarlow

"fwd and midships stairs and lifts, but you never get anything like the problems experienced on Azura/Ventura never mind those appalling problems on Britannia."

I have cruised on Azura/Ventura every year sometimes twice a year since both ships entered service and have never experienced problems with the lifts, what are the appalling problems these ships suffer from in respect of the lifts.

For those passengers who can use the stairs then the lift issue might be no more than a mild inconvenience, but if you are a wheelchair user and have to wait for one with adequate space for a wheelchair and its plus one, then it becomes a much bigger problem, especially at busy meal times, or leaving an entertainment venue. And wheelchair users need lifts even if they are only moving up or down by one deck, where the majority of passengers are happy to use the stairs.

I cannot tell Sanjam from your signature whether you have sailed on other lines, but if you have/had sailed on Celebrity Eclipse then you would/should appreciate fully just how inferior the Grand/Royal class lifts are.

The only thing I would say is they are given a re-fit every 5 years. Unfortunately that takes us to 2021, so could be. I hope not though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope not too, but by then she will be 25 years old and I understand vessels need an expensive survey at that age, with potentially more expensive work required. She is also the most expensive to run fuel and maintenance-wise.

I hope not too, but by then she will be 25 years old and I understand vessels need an expensive survey at that age, with potentially more expensive work required. She is also the most expensive to run fuel and maintenance-wise.

I have always thought 2021 would be a critical year.

I suspect it will depend on demand for cruising. If it continues to rise as it has been over the past few years they may not be able to let her go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have always thought 2021 would be a critical year.

I suspect it will depend on demand for cruising. If it continues to rise as it has been over the past few years they may not be able to let her go.

I would expect Fred already has their eyes on her :-)

I would expect Fred already has their eyes on her :-)

Matty, would you sell a well loved ship to a direct competitor. When argue numbers of passengers could follow the ship. Don't think so.

Braemar is in fact only 23 yrs old and only 2 yrs older than Oriana. But I agree with Dai that I would think Carnival would not want to sell her directly to any cruise line operating in the UK.

Up until recently I would have expected her to be transferred to P&O Australia at some time but now they have a new build planned I doubt that is likely, and I can see no other Carnival lines where a transfer is likely.

So backtracking on my earlier comment, and with possibly a growing market for far east cruises for UK passengers, maybe a transfer to a new subsidiary named P&O China might be something Carnival could consider.

terrierjohn

I agree.The lifts on Britannia hold up to 18 passengers.At least that's what it says on the panel inside the lift.We managed to get 13 passengers in one of the lifts and that was a tight squeeze.How you would manage to get 18 passengers in the lift, I don't know.

Up until recently I would have expected her to be transferred to P&O Australia

Dawn Princess, sister ship to Oceana is going across to P&O Australia soon. I believe the antipodean market is booming with economic success in that region. I think Princess also transferred a Grand class ship; Golden Princess to cover Australian cruises. Some of the cruises circumnavigate Australia and seem very popular with the Aussies.

Regards John

Terrierjohn

I have cruised with P&O, FO, and a company called Direct Cruises, while not a wheelchair user I have back problems after a serious Motorcycle Accident some years ago and climbing stairs can be very painful.

Having said that if I am waiting for a lift and there is also a wheelchair waiting for same I always give way, I have even left a lift to make a space but in all honesty I have never seen a wheelchair user unable to access a lift even at busy times such as theatre emptying , we only cruise in the Carribean where perhaps there are not as many wheelchair users as X - Soton.

I and I suspect most decent people would always give way to a wheelchair user.

Very Happy Enjoyable Cruising to you.

We have seen wheelchair users unable to get in, whilst on our way down the stairs., We always walk if we can, but I do find it hard to believe that able-bodied people can't walk down 2 decks. Perhaps they would be thinner if they did?

We've seen the same thing, and have heard dreadful stories of rude individuals getting in lifts when wheel-chair users are waiting. My Mother is wheel-chair bound so I know what they put up with.

My husband and I nearly always use the stairs, except when late at night, tired, and looking at climbing 7 decks! Then we use the lifts......:)

We have seen wheelchair users unable to get in, whilst on our way down the stairs., We always walk if we can, but I do find it hard to believe that able-bodied people can't walk down 2 decks. Perhaps they would be thinner if they did?

Jean, just because someone looks able-bodied does not mean that they are. My husband and I invariably walk down the stairs and if we are only going up one flight we walk up but because of serious health issues that are not immediately apparent when looking at my husband he is unable to do more than this.

Jean, just because someone looks able-bodied does not mean that they are. My husband and I invariably walk down the stairs and if we are only going up one flight we walk up but because of serious health issues that are not immediately apparent when looking at my husband he is unable to do more than this.

I do agree with you josy1953. I get some funny looks sometimes - on a good day I can walk up and down the stairs with relative ease and usually do. But on a bad day, due to knee problems, I can struggle with one flight of stairs going up or down although walking on the flat is no problem. The trouble is I have more bad than good days.... But I would still always allow a wheelchair user to have priority over me.

Let's hope that P&O will be like Saga, who asked regular passengers for input before designing their new build... a proper promenade being one accepted item.

The ship which Carnival will be giving P&O will be the same design as ones for Costa, AIDA and Carnival. Although they will have different liveries, different internal décor, and maybe some minor internal differences - it's a one 'size fits all' approach.

For example, I believe what German AIDA passengers like (lots of buffets, informal atmosphere, no dedicated theatre) is quite different to what P&O regulars may like.

The renderings suggest that there is a promenade deck for passengers and one for the lifeboats (below). The passenger prom does not appear to wrap round the bow of the ship. It's appears to stop-short.

Buy the way the new ship will hols the record for the most number of passengers. It will carry more passengers than RCI's 'Oasis' but is 25% smaller!

The images below are what the ship will look like in the Costa livery:

Edited by London-Calling

Buy the way the new ship will hols the record for the most number of passengers. It will carry more passengers than RCI's 'Oasis' but is 25% smaller!

Thanks for that info. That's a worrying statistic. We are on Oasis in Feb and were slightly worried about the passenger space ratio but this new design looks to be packing them in even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ship which Carnival will be giving P&O will be the same design as ones for Costa, AIDA and Carnival. Although they will have different liveries, different internal décor, and maybe some minor internal differences - it's a one 'size fits all' approach.

For example, I believe what German AIDA passengers like (lots of buffets, informal atmosphere, no dedicated theatre) is quite different to what P&O regulars may like.

The renderings suggest that there is a promenade deck for passengers and one for the lifeboats (below). The passenger prom does not appear to wrap round the bow of the ship. It's appears to stop-short.

Actually 20% smaller, but you should also look at the passenger space ratio.

Thanks for that info. That's a worrying statistic. We are on Oasis in Feb and were slightly worried about the passenger space ratio but this new design looks to be packing them in even more.

Kevin, Oasis can get a bit crowded in bad weather, but she's a nice ship and plenty of space in good weather. I had a ball on my TA on her. You and Den will have fun!

Edited by besberry
Spelling

Kevin, Oasis can get a bit crowded in bad weather, but she's a nice ship and plenty of space in good weather. I had a ball on my TA on her. You and Den will have fun!

Thanks Mick. Back to back in the Caribbean so the weather shouldn't be an issue.

No ships will now be built as a one off, far too expensive. Which is why I cannot see any small to medium ships for P&O in the near future.

RCI, NCL and MSC manage it, but Carnival share designs across brands.

P&O could be given medium sized ships, Carnival brands like Seabourn get them, but P&O are not a 'luxury' brand so big ships will be more profitable for them.

RCI, NCL and MSC manage it, but Carnival share designs across brands.

P&O could be given medium sized ships, Carnival brands like Seabourn get them, but P&O are not a 'luxury' brand so big ships will be more profitable for them.

He 3 you mention do not build one offs, they build 3/4 together so they get the Benicia like a production. Line.

My point is that Carnival are not going to produce a new build 60 to 80 thousand ton ship just for P&O. Every ship they have had since Aurora has been a follow on.

He 3 you mention do not build one offs, they build 3/4 together so they get the Benicia like a production. Line.

My point is that Carnival are not going to produce a new build 60 to 80 thousand ton ship just for P&O. Every ship they have had since Aurora has been a follow on.

They could build one of HAL's new pinnacle class (100,000T) for P&O, if they wanted.

I am not certain just where HAL fits in the pecking order, but not significantly higher class than P&O and much closer to Celebrity and Princess than say Seabourne.

But as to whether a ship that size now fits Carnivals idea of a P&O possible, who knows.

They could build one of HAL's new pinnacle class (100,000T) for P&O, if they wanted.

I am not certain just where HAL fits in the pecking order, but not significantly higher class than P&O and much closer to Celebrity and Princess than say Seabourne.

But as to whether a ship that size now fits Carnivals idea of a P&O possible, who knows.

Yes we could have one of them, I think I said this earlier or on another thread. The ship looks like an extension of the Arcadia /QE platform. Their new one was in the Tyne a few weeks ago.