Sydney airport to cruise terminal

Which cruise terminal? There are two, the Overseas Passenger Terminal and the White Bay Cruise Terminal.

In both cases you may have the option of booking a shuttle through your cruise line, otherwise there are always taxis especially if you have a lot of luggage.

If you are happy taking public transport with your luggage, then catch a train from the airport to Circular Quay.

- if you are at the Overseas Passenger Terminal it is just a short, flat walk from the station.

- if you are at White Bay you will then need to get a ferry there. Those ferries are run by Captain Cook Ferries and only run when cruise ships are in port. $9 pp one way. I understand the ferry wharf is about 400m from the White Bay Cruise Terminal - I haven't actually used this option myself.

Sydney is our home port, so I can't say I know anything about the cruise transfers from the airport, but if that's fairly cheap and easy I'd go that way.

Public transport is very easy to circular quay as OzKiwi said. There is a station access fee for the airport terminals, so it's pricey by comparison to other train journeys of a similar length, but it's still cheaper than taking a taxi if you only have 2-3 passengers. A single adult fare from domestic to circular quay is around $16.

• 3 months later...
We are flying domestic to Sydney on 3rd October (believe it is a public holiday). Any suggestions on best way to get to cruise terminal? Thanks

I hope your plane was not late getting into Sydney. This could cause a problem in making it to your cruise on time. We always fly in at least a day early.

Edited by General Max

Hi everyone,

We are also flying to Sydney, arriving at 10:30am for the Voyager sailing to the South Pacific next Tuesday.

Which transport would be quicker to get to the OPT? Train or taxi?

Thanks in advance.

Judy

I

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi everyone,

We are also flying to Sydney, arriving at 10:30am for the Voyager sailing to the South Pacific next Tuesday.

Which transport would be quicker to get to the OPT? Train or taxi?

Thanks in advance.

Judy

I

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Train is probably quicker.

Train will be less $ for two, taxi wins for 4.

Taxi will take you, and your luggage right to the ship, train you will have a short walk with your bags.

Mind you, that Australian taxis do not have as much boot/trunk space than US taxis (or a London cab). Lots of room is taken up by a gas tank...

If you are 3 with a suitcase each plus carry-ons, it will get tight

THAT said, there is usually a taxi dispatcher on duty who will find you a station wagon type of car or even a "Maxi Taxi", a mini bus. Same fare as a "normal" taxi.

If you are travelling reasonably light, the train is not bad (and should be quicker).

This is a regular commuter train and not a special train with luggage racks or such. You will have to sit by the door or stand by your luggage!

Alight at "Circular Quay" station which is in spitting distance to the cruise ship terminal. From one of the train station platforms you also have a sensational view of the cruise ship terminal and ship, the opera house and the harbor bridge! Great photo opportunity!!!

Mind you, that Australian taxis do not have as much boot/trunk space than US taxis (or a London cab). Lots of room is taken up by a gas tank...

If you are 3 with a suitcase each plus carry-ons, it will get tight

THAT said, there is usually a taxi dispatcher on duty who will find you a station wagon type of car or even a "Maxi Taxi", a mini bus. Same fare as a "normal" taxi.

If you are travelling reasonably light, the train is not bad (and should be quicker).

This is a regular commuter train and not a special train with luggage racks or such. You will have to sit by the door or stand by your luggage!

Alight at "Circular Quay" station which is in spitting distance to the cruise ship terminal. From one of the train station platforms you also have a sensational view of the cruise ship terminal and ship, the opera house and the harbor bridge! Great photo opportunity!!!

Pretty sure a maxi taxi has a 50% surcharge.

Pretty sure a maxi taxi has a 50% surcharge.

you could be right there.

Personally I have never paid that surcharge, but perhaps I was lucky and the MaxiTaxi just happened to be the next car in the line....

Still cheaper than 2 taxis. :-)

We travel with 2 adults and 2 children. We have found that Ready 2 Go shuttles are the same cost for us as the train. We now do this option as we don't have to walk to the train station. Especially handy this time around as we had 11 bags in total (just finished a 4 month holiday!)

We are traveling to Australia for 6 weeks in February, 2017. During that time we are doing 2 cruises for 24 days. There are just 2 of us and we will use one bag each plus a shoulder carry-on. Travel light and you won't regret it.

We travel with 2 adults and 2 children. We have found that Ready 2 Go shuttles are the same cost for us as the train. We now do this option as we don't have to walk to the train station. Especially handy this time around as we had 11 bags in total (just finished a 4 month holiday!)

Could you tell me more about this shuttle service? Do you have their site info?

Thanks,

Fern

We are traveling to Australia for 6 weeks in February, 2017. During that time we are doing 2 cruises for 24 days. There are just 2 of us and we will use one bag each plus a shoulder carry-on. Travel light and you won't regret it.

We each had 1 large case, 1 smaller carry on plus a camera bag, laptop bag and small handbag. It looked like ALOT, but once you worked out for how many people it wasn't too bad. Plus we had to pack for American summer and Alaska and everything in between.

Thanks for the information! We used this company yesterday to get from the airport to our hotel before the cruise and they were great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband & I flew to Sydney two years ago, so a reminder for those flying from the United States, be sure you book a minimum of 2 Days before your planned arrival to Sydney. Example if you wish to arrive on April 15th, book you flights on the 12/13th if from the West Coast or a day earlier if flying from the FL etc. From LAX it is a 15 hour flight non stop.

Edited by Desert Cruizers