Flip Flops in restaurants?

Msmojo66

We are sailing on the Jewel to Mexico in Oct. I think I read somewhere you can't wear flip flops in main dining rooms or speciality restaurants?? I'm not by any means saying we are wanting to dine in shorts, etc, but I have some cute outfits that I wear with a very nice pair of flip flops. Anyone have any ideas on this??

Thanks in advance!!!

We are sailing on the Jewel to Mexico in Oct. I think I read somewhere you can't wear flip flops in main dining rooms or speciality restaurants?? I'm not by any means saying we are wanting to dine in shorts, etc, but I have some cute outfits that I wear with a very nice pair of flip flops. Anyone have any ideas on this??

Thanks in advance!!!

I would love to know this as well. I have a pair of Swarovski crystal flip flops that are pretty.

Thanks in advance!!!

I guess it depends on how you define "very nice". To some, that might cover a brand new pair of rubber slide on between the toes pair of basic flips, what we used to call "shower shoes" for the gym.

Many dressier shoes for women are made in this same style, and they really can't be classified as flip flops in my mind and I wear them often on cruises. So don't get hung up by the fact that a pair of shoes is held onto your foot by something between your toes. I've never seen a woman turned away for wearing these type of shoes, however men cannot get away with it. Must be closed toe shoes.

Thanks in advance!!!

Flip flops are those rubber things that you buy at the dollar store, not sandals that don't have a lot of straps. Not anything to be worried about.

I guess it depends on how you define "very nice". To some, that might cover a brand new pair of rubber slide on between the toes pair of basic flips, what we used to call "shower shoes" for the gym.

Many dressier shoes for women are made in this same style, and they really can't be classified as flip flops in my mind and I wear them often on cruises. So don't get hung up by the fact that a pair of shoes is held onto your foot by something between your toes. I've never seen a woman turned away for wearing these type of shoes, however men cannot get away with it. Must be closed toe shoes.

Men do not have to have closed toe shoes, they can wear sandals too, just not flip flops.

Men do not have to have closed toe shoes, they can wear sandals too, just not flip flops.

Yes, men can wear leather strappy shoes which are somewhat open air. But according to the NCL guidelines, shoes must be "closed toe". I think my hubby has worn a leather sandal with a lattice type toe and nothing was said. They probably did not even notice, and his toes were definately not on display:eek:. The term "sandal" covers a lot of territory, just like "flip flops" do.

Oh, well! As long as the wearer says they are "dressy" or "nice" anything is fine.

I assume you are a male, and as such probably do not know a thong sandal from a slide sandal from a sling back from a gladiator from a peep toe. Rest assured that women know what is appropriate attire to wear for dinner in the MDR. For a lot of men, the definition of "nice" in women's shoes would be a pair of high heels which not many women wear anymore, especially on a cruise ship. There are many styles of shoes which can be worn with a "nice" outfit, and that includes some thong sandals.

The general rule of etiquette is: "When a restaurant offers cloth napkins, flip flops are NOT appropriate".

Of course, if that doesn't suit your purposes, there is always the fall back of the entitled cruiser . . .

---The wine is for personal consumption in MY room

---MY kids are very mature for their age and also very well behaved

---MY water needs to come from a pure, fresh mountain spring and be served in a plastic bottle...for free

---MY feet are cleaner than everyone else's, MY shoes are better than everyone else's, and the rules don't apply to ME

Neither have I seen anyone turned away for these. They were not the type for beach wear though.

Neither have I seen anyone turned away for these. They were not the type for beach wear though.

And who gets to decide, flip flops (as you insist on calling them) are flip flops, either they're allowed, rubber ones and all, or aren't.

My rubber flip flops would not be appropriate. They are obviously flip flops. My dressy sandals are vaguely similar and I have both flat heels and a higher heels.

There is a pretty big difference and I can't think of a woman who does not know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Flip flops are for the beach. I have jeweled flip flops . They are still for the beach. If they are made of rubber or the the squishy foam stuff that the higher ones have, they are beach flip flops. By all means , spend time convincing yourself they are nice or dressy. I do have some lovely flip flops but I won't be wearing them to dinner. Sandals... They're great to wear to dinner:)