Deployment 2018-19 booking season begins

MADflyer

Interesting: Independence otS is listed for Geirangerfjord three times in 2018!!

http://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls

Let's see whether it will come true, for 2017 a fjord cruise was announced and than changed to Scandinavia and North Sea.

But at least Indy seems to sail from Southampton again...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCL hosted a Q&A panel with CEO Bayley yesterday on Allure. Part of summary is as follows:

1. RCL will not sail through the Panama Canal in the near future. Cited economic reasons, i.e. $250K governmental crossing fee.

2. RCL will not do Hawaiian itineraries like Carnival is doing. Cited Jones Act.

3. Confirmed Empress was brought back to the fleet for Cuba itineraries. Believes those will commence in Nov/Dec. Cited political/government/Nov election as reasons for the delays. Acknowledged that Carnival Fathom was able to do what RCL wasn't.

Q&A Post with Bayley

RCL hosted a Q&A panel with CEO Bayley yesterday on Allure. Part of summary is as follows:

1. RCL will not sail through the Panama Canal in the near future. Cited economic reasons, i.e. $250K governmental crossing fee.

2. RCL will not do Hawaiian itineraries like Carnival is doing. Cited Jones Act.

3. Confirmed Empress was brought back to the fleet for Cuba itineraries. Believes those will commence in Nov/Dec. Cited political/government/Nov election as reasons for the delays. Acknowledged that Carnival Fathom was able to do what RCL wasn't.

Q&A Post with Bayley

I am disappointed about the Panama Canal, but certainly understand the economic limitations.

However, I don't understand why RCI couldn't do Hawaii if Carnival can. Wouldn't Carnival be violating the Jones act now? It looks like Carnival is using Vancouver as it's North American port, so that shouldn't be a violation anyway...

I am disappointed about the Panama Canal, but certainly understand the economic limitations.

However, I don't understand why RCI couldn't do Hawaii if Carnival can. Wouldn't Carnival be violating the Jones act now? It looks like Carnival is using Vancouver as it's North American port, so that shouldn't be a violation anyway...

Radiance already sails the exact same route as Carnival from Vancouver to Honolulu, and vice versa. This does not violate the PVSA.

Carnival also has a 15 day sailing offered round-trip from Long Beach, CA which must make a stop in Ensenada so that it does not violate the PVSA.

They could do the Canal if they wanted, NCL, Celebrity, Princess all do that. Trouble is, many of Royal's ships are too big - too tall for full transits, so they let sister company Celebrity handle that demand.

As for Hawaii, they don't have enough ships - they've prioritised other routings/deployments seen as more lucrative and their fleet mix is more and more tilted to the megaships.

Edited by pspercy

They could do the Canal if they wanted, NCL, Celebrity, Princess all do that. Trouble is, many of Royal's ships are too big - too tall for full transits, so they let sister company Celebrity handle that demand.

As for Hawaii, they don't have enough ships - they've prioritised other routings/deployments seen as more lucrative and their fleet mix is more and more tilted to the megaships.

I think Celebrity has begun to shy away from the Canal... in past years the Infinity would spend a good part of the "Canal season" making round trips from Fl to CA. This last year and this season they are only offering a couple of trips at the beginning of the season and again at the tail end of the season.

The Panama Canal statements by Bagley are suspect, as other competitors have been sailing there (including roundtrip partial transit of the Canal) for many years...and those ships are typically very full. The fees are simply baked into the cruise rates by all other cruise lines serving the Canal...so the statement by Bagley is questionable at best.

The Panama Canal statements by Bagley are suspect, as other competitors have been sailing there (including roundtrip partial transit of the Canal) for many years...and those ships are typically very full. ...so the statement by Bagley is questionable at best.

Most cruise lines sail at around 100+% capacity (105 for RCCL) - what they profit on each one of those is a different matter.;)

Most cruise lines sail at around 100+% capacity (105 for RCCL) - what they profit on each one of those is a different matter.;)

True.

However the Panama Canal cruises (which include all fees in cabin prices) have sailed for many years...likely at a good profit (or they'd discontinue them).

A little disappointing that RCCL does not allocate and deploy the smaller ships as economic and diverse as they could. Those ships oils do well for rather special itineraries, such as Panama Canal.

Ok I do understand that they do not sail the Hawaii round trips from LA, as Princess or Carnival. A lot of days at sea, with less days ashore...

But does this also mean the one way trips between Honolulu and Vancouver will be eliminated?!

But does this also mean the one way trips between Honolulu and Vancouver will be eliminated?!

With Radiance doing Alaska and Australia, there's no way they could eliminate them.

But if Radiance was to be deployed elsewhere (which I doubt, at least for right now), then theoretically they could eliminate the one way Hawaii trips.

With Radiance doing Alaska and Australia, there's no way they could eliminate them.

But if Radiance was to be deployed elsewhere (which I doubt, at least for right now), then theoretically they could eliminate the one way Hawaii trips.

Yeah that's clear, than obviously RCCL won't do the round trips from California to Hawaii, what I can understand to a certain point...

And I am pretty sure, RCCL will bring back Radiance to Alaska in 2018, I wouldn't know which other ship for the north- and southbound trips.

Let's see whether Explorer will sail from Seattle again...

Explorer of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas are both booked already for their May 2018 transits back to Vancouver and Seattle via Hawaii ports.

They both transit Hawaii in the first week of May of 2018.

The November transit back has not yet been booked with Hawaii ports for both ships.

Edited by MADflyer