.......idle jottings continued

CCHelp

So Bob Dylan has won the Nobel Prize for Literature !

Dylan walked in the footsteps of Arlo Guthrie, he of "This land is your land, this land is my land....".

He would be considered a Communist.

Sorry to have to correct you, Hum, but I think you are referring to Arlo's dad, Woody. Arlo's claim to fame was "Alice's Restaurant," where you can get anything you want. For "Blowin' in the Wind" Dylan should have received the Nobel Peace Prize. It has been suggested that the song was inspired by Bound for Glory, Woody's autobiography.

As someone who insatiably consumed 1960's folk music, just had to say this.

Sorry to have to correct you, Hum, but I think you are referring to Arlo's dad, Woody. Arlo's claim to fame was "Alice's Restaurant," where you can get anything you want. For "Blowin' in the Wind" Dylan should have received the Nobel Peace Prize. It has been suggested that the song was inspired by Bound for Glory, Woody's autobiography.

As someone who insatiably consumed 1960's folk music, just had to say this.

Hum cannot believe he wrote Arlo !

Of course you are absolutely right.

Hum did not know that about "Blowin' in the wind": a fantastic song with the simple lyrics delivered almost in monotone yet deeply moving.

The truth is Hum loves Arlo Guthrie too (hence the error) when he first came upon his film which you refer to: one of Hum's favourites.

Delighted to have been corrected.

To this day, Jimi Hendix's version of "All along the Watchtower" is one of my favorite songs.

Crank it up:

PS - Interesting little aside about Hendrix, when he first turned up on the radar, Eric Clapton and some other top lead guitarists of the day went to check him out at the Roxy. When Jimi finished his set, Clapton turned to the other, stunned, guitarists and said "What the hell are we going to do now?". :D

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

To this day, Jimi Hendix's version of "All along the Watchtower" is one of my favorite songs.

Crank it up:

PS - Interesting little aside about Hendrix, when he first turned up on the radar, Eric Clapton and some other top lead guitarists of the day went to check him out at the Roxy. When Jimi finished his set, Clapton turned to the other, stunned, guitarists and said "What the hell are we going to do now?". :D

Raggy...........brother !

It was the first record Hum bought !!

And to this day, it remains Hum's favourite.

It is truly outstanding.

Nothing like it.

Think Eric was being a tad too humble: he was with Cream at the time and his guitar work was at it's best.

"All along the watchtower": released 23 August, 1967

"Disraeli Gears": released 2 November, 1967

But Hum's favourite Cream song is "White Room" which was on the "Wheels of Fire" album (released in July, 1968).

[YOUTUBE]pkae0-TgrRU [/YOUTUBE]

Ok, so what are chums top 5 music: doesn't have to be in order.

Anybody..... but not Jim, they would all be Hank Williams anyway.

OK then Jim too but no Hank Williams !!

[YOUTUBE]4WXYjm74WFI [/YOUTUBE]

Edited by ho-hum

[YOUTUBE]4WXYjm74WFI [/YOUTUBE]

Hey, I might be a lot of things but Lois is the Country one. Now I was raised in Montgomery, Alabama. Mr. Hank was from Montgomery, Alabama. In high school it was considered cool to go to the cemetery by the Alabama river and drink beer with your date on Hank Williams Grave. I can also tell you who, what, where Kowliga is. :eek: As far as fave 5 tunes, see below:

Number one: Honky Tonk Women, Rolling Stones. My first crossing on QE2 in 1969 this number led off the "Top of the Pops" broadcast at 5pm each day.

Number two: Satisfaction, Rolling Stones. You had to know the girl to understand.:eek::D

Number three: Twist and Shout, Beatles. Nobody did it better than John Lennon.

Number four: I feel good, James Brown. Needs no explanation.

Number five: Free Bird, Lynrd Skynrd. Well, I was raised in Alabama. Roll Tide!!! :D

Kind, kind offer dear chum.

The big Crystal ships sound wonderful and reports about them have always been favourable.

You would love the Crystal staff - they are truly great people who love to "work" with guests

and the alcohol is good and food excellent (thinking about what I saw of your pleasures on the doco earlier this week)

Now whether some of the guests are ready for Blondie though is a completely different issue

Hey, I might be a lot of things but Lois is the Country one. Now I was raised in Montgomery, Alabama. Mr. Hank was from Montgomery, Alabama. In high school it was considered cool to go to the cemetery by the Alabama river and drink beer with your date on Hank Williams Grave. I can also tell you who, what, where Kowliga is. :eek: As far as fave 5 tunes, see below:

Number one: Honky Tonk Women, Rolling Stones. My first crossing on QE2 in 1969 this number led off the "Top of the Pops" broadcast at 5pm each day.

Number two: Satisfaction, Rolling Stones. You had to know the girl to understand.:eek::D

Number three: Twist and Shout, Beatles. Nobody did it better than John Lennon.

Number four: I feel good, James Brown. Needs no explanation.

Number five: Free Bird, Lynrd Skynrd. Well, I was raised in Alabama. Roll Tide!!! :D

Excellent, excellent !

Love 'em all.

Would be intrigued to know Lady Jim's choices.

You would love the Crystal staff - they are truly great people who love to "work" with guests

and the alcohol is good and food excellent (thinking about what I saw of your pleasures on the doco earlier this week)

Now whether some of the guests are ready for Blondie though is a completely different issue

Aaahhh yes, Hum's "Achilles heel" (Blondie).

The times Hum has had to get her down off tables !!!

The good people of Crystal should be protected: the SD crew and passengers are long suffering and mostly resigned to the fact.

In fact it is written into the Contract for Sailing Conditions.

"Sea Dream take no responsibility when Blondie dances on tables and no refunds will be offered by the company"

Hear hear, loved the Crystal staff and food too. First time on Crystal in Sept and back onboard Dec/Jan for NYE in Sydney. Bagged a last minute deal!!

Now just to talk Ho Hum into joining us onboard:)!!! Now that would be a great way to bring in 2017!

Hear hear, loved the Crystal staff and food too. First time on Crystal in Sept and back onboard Dec/Jan for NYE in Sydney. Bagged a last minute deal!!

Now just to talk Ho Hum into joining us onboard:)!!! Now that would be a great way to bring in 2017!

Are you an Aussie? - NYE on the harbour is going to be fun indeed - first time we've done a holiday cruise. We should meet up for a quiet one onboard and have one or two on Hums behalf

OK, I'll play!(and in no particular order)..

1. Stand by me - John Lennon cover version

2. American Pie - Don McLean

3. Paint it Black - Rolling Stones

4. Imagine - John Lennon

5. Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen version

I could do this all over again and choose differently. It's hard!

Cheers, Millie

OK, I'll play!(and in no particular order)..

1. Stand by me - John Lennon cover version

2. American Pie - Don McLean

3. Paint it Black - Rolling Stones

4. Imagine - John Lennon

5. Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen version

I could do this all over again and choose differently. It's hard!

Cheers, Millie

Fantastic choices MillieRyan08.......don't think H ever heard of Lennon's "Stand by me".

Is it anything like Jim's lady's favourite song "Stand by your man" ?

Edited by ho-hum

Fantastic choices MillieRyan08.......don't think H ever heard of Lennon's "Stand by me".

Is it anything like Jim's lady's favourite song "Stand by your man" ?

Oh Hum, I am surprised. I have attached a you tube video, but not really sure how to do it. When I hit send, I'll see if it worked! Apologies if not.

John Lennon "Stand By Me" [Official Music Video] - YouTube

And nothing like Jim's lady's favourite song "stand by your man", although it would be good for her to tell the world she loves him.......I'll be listening.

Cheers, Millie X

Oh Hum, I am surprised. I have attached a you tube video, but not really sure how to do it. When I hit send, I'll see if it worked! Apologies if not.

John Lennon "Stand By Me" [Official Music Video] - YouTube

And nothing like Jim's lady's favourite song "stand by your man", although it would be good for her to tell the world she loves him.......I'll be listening.

Cheers, Millie X

Yep, putting YouTube videos onto posts is a tricky one.

[YOUTUBE]yZhBQ47p8r0 [/YOUTUBE]

a you tube video, but not really sure how to do it

Let me try to help you post a You Tube video to the forums

First select the You Tube button on the formatting bar of a post - its the red one on the far right

Click on it and you get this - [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

then go to You Tube and find the video you want - when you do you will find it has a URL of something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPqFTCf-lQ - its the RwPqFTCf-lQ reference part you want

So then you put it all together and put the reference part between the YOUTUBE RwPqFTCf-lQ YOUTUBE tag (I took the [ ] marks off the YOUTUBE tags in this so you could see them) and hey presto you get this (I couldn't resist choosing this particular clip in honour of our host dear Ho-Hum:

[YOUTUBE]RwPqFTCf-lQ[/YOUTUBE]

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Bodogbodog

[YOUTUBE]RwPqFTCf-lQ[/YOUTUBE]

Hope that helps :)

Ah, thanks so much for posting this!! FINALLY get to see it! Love it! Love seeing all my smilng crew! Hope to sail with HoHum and Blondie someday and share some champagne! :-D

Are you an Aussie? - NYE on the harbour is going to be fun indeed - first time we've done a holiday cruise. We should meet up for a quiet one onboard and have one or two on Hums behalf

Not an Aussie, wish I was or could've been maybe!!! I've the same surname as the people who founded the place SW of Perth in 1800's with the 2km wooden jetty.

Although my surname isn't spelt as the town name it's the same as the settlers surname.

My relatives have traced the family tree, have visited many times and were most welcome. One day I'll visit too but not on this voyage.

Really looking forward to this upcoming trip. I've three flights to get to Auckland, two nights there before joining the ship. Looking forward to Sydney harbour NYE, then 3 nights in Melbourne after disembarking spending time with our Tasmanian friends who are flying in to meet us. Look forward to meeting onboard. Where's Ho Hum?

Ah, thanks so much for posting this!! FINALLY get to see it! Love it! Love seeing all my smilng crew! Hope to sail with HoHum and Blondie someday and share some champagne! :-D

So kind, dearest Maria.

Yes the crews are wonderful.

Hope to sail with you too, you seem a kind person and Hum would love to sip a glass of Champagne with you.

Not an Aussie, wish I was or could've been maybe!!! I've the same surname as the people who founded the place SW of Perth in 1800's with the 2km wooden jetty.

Although my surname isn't spelt as the town name it's the same as the settlers surname.

My relatives have traced the family tree, have visited many times and were most welcome. One day I'll visit too but not on this voyage.

Really looking forward to this upcoming trip. I've three flights to get to Auckland, two nights there before joining the ship. Looking forward to Sydney harbour NYE, then 3 nights in Melbourne after disembarking spending time with our Tasmanian friends who are flying in to meet us. Look forward to meeting onboard. Where's Ho Hum?

What a posh gal you are ......... of course you ooze class darling.

Still, Hum's impressed......nay very impressed by your illustrious ancestry.

Hum's been busy getting "stuff" done before going away: it's always works out the same way but it gives Hum some focus to work and conclude issues.

Besides it is gratifying seeing the forum being so prolific albeit a proportion of the posts expressed upset and frustration about issues on SDI (understandably) but some negative assumptions made about shoreside management and crew were unfortunately off the mark.

Nevertheless the resurgence of posting provided an appropriate time for Hum to take a discrete aside before fading away a tad more.

I was just wondering where Ho Hum is me own self.:D Last we heard he was sniveling with the Man Cold. Hope he didn't overdose on his "remedy".:eek::D

"Man Cold" almost gone (no thanks to Nurse Blondie though).

Still Hum has persevered with a "cure" equalling the efforts of Louis Pasteur's fine achievement, by modifying ingredients in the "Hot Toddy" in the cause of alleviating the debilitating effects of "manuscoldus".

Hum spent his time exhaustively testing samples of the potions (hottodius) on himself despite the dangers possibly associated (spinning ceilings, unsteady on feet, schlurred speeks etcc..) to arrive at one formula that has assisted in abating the ravages of "Man Cold".

Hum is already clearing his diary for the Nobel Prize for Medicine award next year in anticipation of receiving the award and cash prize: hope Leonard Cohen is up for the "Literature" award (Hum gave him a good run for his money though wiv 'is "jottings").

Great seeing so many others posting ........ let it continue.

Hum is happy to stand aside.........nay insisteth.

It's given Hum an idea.

Post weekly or is it post weakly ?

Hum is really looking forward meeting up with chums for the xing: they are truly a great crowd.

Chums assemble for this "migration" from around the civilised world (and Australia !) every year.

It is Hum's favourite voyage of the year and marks a change of year and season, more so than New Year which is more of a "bash" than a time for assimilating life changes and there have been some BIG ones the past year.

Some (non-sailing) chums are coming from the UK simply for a few days prior to boarding, going out eating and drinking in the various tapas bars and restaurants in the city of Barcelona.

The weather there is about 70F, so really pleasant: well for the time of year (it's 15F in Poshland).

Hum went out for dinner in London the other evening with the Executive Producer of THAT film: we have become good chums and stay in touch. A ruddy smart lady from America with Mexican heritage.

Well, we met up in a restaurant where they have the most gins in the UK.

The sommelier enquired about pre-dinner drinks and Hum said he wanted to try a gin martini that he would recommend. He returned with a gin martini Hum loved.

It is a Spanish gin, made in Barcelona !

So you see where Hum is coming from now.

Added to which, our chum from Australia is a gin martini aficionado (and great consumer) so you can see how time in Barcelona is going to go !!!

And he drinks twice as much as Hum !!!

Well, we met up in a restaurant where they have the most gins in the UK.

The sommelier enquired about pre-dinner drinks and Hum said he wanted to try a gin martini that he would recommend. He returned with a gin martini Hum loved.

It is a Spanish gin, made in Barcelona !

Dearest hum, forget the Spanish muck - try one of the very best:

315 upstairs Heidelberg Gin

https://www.facebook.com/315upstairsGin/photos/a.1653792748269154.1073741827.1652549481726814/1653792754935820/?type=3&theater

(The landscape in the back is ???;))

Baron and Baroness tried it last weekend at a Gourmetfestival - what a stuff!:D

Edited by gcmv