Cruise Critic Community
Jolie_Cruiser

Anything Québec (Quebec) City....

Are there normally taxis queued up outside YQB waiting for customers or do I need to arrange one in advance?

We will be flying in from Toronto on 7 August mid-afternoon.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Is Uber usually available at the train station in QC? 

Yes. Uber will not be queued up, but summoning a car should be pretty quick.

Be advised, At the heights of tourist season, Ubers are in quite high demand in Quebec City & surge pricing happens frequently.

We will be in Quebec the Sunday of the Quebec marathon. I have seen posts about the road closures. What kinds of things do they set up for food or entertainment for the race crowds?

Our ship overnights in Quebec but I intend to fly out the first day and not spend the night. Are taxis always available at the cruise port to go to the airport? Would it be better to make a reservation in advance with a taxi or car company?  If so, what would you recommend? I am not an Uber fan. Thanks for the help.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

1 hour ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Our ship overnights in Quebec but I intend to fly out the first day and not spend the night. Are taxis always available at the cruise port to go to the airport? Would it be better to make a reservation in advance with a taxi or car company?  If so, what would you recommend? I am not an Uber fan. Thanks for the help.

Not necessary.

18 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I assume you mean that taxis are always available outside of the cruise port.

Available, or close-by. Same with Uber.

Thanks for lots of great advice. Do you know if the funicular takes credit cards, or USD... do you need exact change? Thanks

2 hours ago, andimark said:

Thanks for lots of great advice. Do you know if the funicular takes credit cards, or USD... do you need exact change? Thanks

I just saw on the website that the rate is $3.50CAD, cash only.  Free for wheelchair users,  children under 117 cm, and service animals.

https://www.funiculaire.ca/copie-de-reservations-2

4 hours ago, andimark said:

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I just saw on the website that the rate is $3.50CAD, cash only.  Free for wheelchair users,  children under 117 cm, and service animals.

https://www.funiculaire.ca/copie-de-reservations-2

We were just in Quebec City (which is wonderful).  You don’t need exact change. There’s a human being who takes your money and can give you change. 😀

Know that there can be some very long lines to go up if you happen to be there at the “wrong” time. We walked up; it was great. 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

We were just in Quebec City (which is wonderful).  You don’t need exact change. There’s a human being who takes your money and can give you change. 😀

Know that there can be some very long lines to go up if you happen to be there at the “wrong” time. We walked up; it was great. 

My bad knee (knee replacement planned after this cruise!) won't allow the steps, so I guess I will have to wait in line.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, andimark said:

If I remember correctly they will take USD, but won't calculate the conversion and give you back CND. So if you pay 10$ USD for two people they will give you back 3$ CND.

If you want you could take a taxi/uber from the lower town and get dropped off at a higher spot like Place D'Youville, The Plains of Abraham, Citadelle, etc. So that you would only have to walk down from there.

Edited by daneault

20 hours ago, daneault said:

If I remember correctly they will take USD, but won't calculate the conversion and give you back CND. So if you pay 10$ USD for two people they will give you back 3$ CND.

If you want you could take a taxi/uber from the lower town and get dropped off at a higher spot like Place D'Youville, The Plains of Abraham, Citadelle, etc. So that you would only have to walk down from there.

Perfect - I didn't want to have to exchange $ for only one use. Thanks

With a few cruise ships in port on the same day, there was a huge queue for the funicular in the morning. However, there are 2 cars running continuously and we really didn't have to wait as long as we feared.

For anyone in a wheelchair, you need to send someone ahead to alert a member of staff as the 'normal' entrance is up a few steps. There is a step-free route around the side but someone needs to open the gate from inside.

We just got back from our cruise.  There was a long line for the funicular when we lined up.  The line moved very quickly. [or quicker than I thought it would].  Yes, they take US dollars at par. [$3.50pp] I bought several souvenirs in the gift shop at the funicular.  I know that sounds odd--but, they had good prices and cute things for the grandkids. After we got to the top we spent time on the Dufferin Terrace.  While DH spent a little extra time I did my shopping in the little gift area. 

Also, there is a little gift shop at the foot of the funicular. [directly across] that had cute things. 

PS-- they take credit cards if you by gifts.