Travel Insurance

Smyles

What should I have in regards to travel insurance for a cruise?

I know this is a bit vague. We receive travel insurance through my husbands work health plan (we are in Canada). When we did 2 weeks in Cuba the insurance wrote us a letter stating we were covered (Cuba required we show proof of travel insurance to enter).

I plan to call the work travel insurance on Monday to confirm it is adequate for our trip but I am not fully sure what I should ensure (I assume higher risk activities like flo-rider and any excursions).

We aren't so worried about last minute cancellations etc. We understand there is always the risk of us having to cancel or it being cancelled due to weather (Oct being hurricane season) but in our mind incurring those known costs is a risk of travel. But, we do need to ensure we are properly covered for injury/illness etc.

Any suggestions for what to inquire about to ensure this insurance is adequate on it's own? My husband travels overseas on a frequent basis and this travel insurance covers all that travel. It also covers myself and our daughter for all personal trips.

What should I have in regards to travel insurance for a cruise?

I know this is a bit vague. We receive travel insurance through my husbands work health plan (we are in Canada). When we did 2 weeks in Cuba the insurance wrote us a letter stating we were covered (Cuba required we show proof of travel insurance to enter).

I plan to call the work travel insurance on Monday to confirm it is adequate for our trip but I am not fully sure what I should ensure (I assume higher risk activities like flo-rider and any excursions).

We aren't so worried about last minute cancellations etc. We understand there is always the risk of us having to cancel or it being cancelled due to weather (Oct being hurricane season) but in our mind incurring those known costs is a risk of travel. But, we do need to ensure we are properly covered for injury/illness etc.

Any suggestions for what to inquire about to ensure this insurance is adequate on it's own? My husband travels overseas on a frequent basis and this travel insurance covers all that travel. It also covers myself and our daughter for all personal trips.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

Ask Steve if your insurance now is adequate.

I would make sure that you are covered for medical evacuations if that is needed. This could have a price as high as $50,000 depending how far and what medical team needs to travel with you.

Thank you, this is exactly why I was asking as I would not have thought to inquire about that on my own!

We get travel insurance through our travel agency [which I can not mention on CC] They have a set price for a policy regardless of duration. It is a bargain for my transatlantic, but would be less so for a 3-day getaway. :rolleyes:

This is what our policy covers. I am not saying this is what you need. But, it shows the various categories you might want to have. Policies vary a great deal for coverage and costs. The most important things for us are the medical and evacuation coverage. We have never rented a car on a cruise [outside of the US] or taken sporting equipment, but it is a bundled policy. Our credit card company covers a couple of these--but, not that.

Benefit: Maximum Policy Limit:

Accidental Death & Dismemberment $10,000.00

Baggage & Personal Effects $1,000.00

Baggage Delay $1,000.00

Car Rental Collision Coverage $35,000.00

Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation of Remains $250,000.00

Missed Connection $1,000.00

Security Deposit Protection $2,000.00

Sporting Equipment Delay $2,000.00

Trip Cancellation $7,500.00

Trip Delay $1,000.00

Trip Interruption $7,500.00

Medical Expense - Primary $25,000.00

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Med evacuation. Non medical evacuation. Repatriation.

Regarding health coverage. Is it primary in another country? Who pays first if you are sick? Will they take the insurance, or will you need to pay and get reimbursed? Some trip insurance packages offer assistance when emergencies come up while travelling, which might be nice to have.

Not questioning what you have, just offering tidbits.

There was a post recently about someone's experience with a company called Travel Guard. Might glean some tidbits from that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thank you all...that travel guard post was actually what triggered my question. As I mentioned we are not too worried about the trip being cancelled or even lost luggage etc (though coverage for that would be great) as those are more or less known possible costs. But the emergency evacuation type of costs that we would not have thought of and obviously don't want to be paying out of pocket for! While it would hurt the pocket book to have to rebuy all our luggage or to buy a new flight home we would bounce back from that...but the emergency evacuation would put us under for a long, longggg time.

I will find out our details on what is actually covered and make the call on buying additional coverage should be need it. We do also have the standard coverage through our credit card, but it is his work travel insurance that would be fronting the costs of any major medical issues that arise so we want to make sure it is adequate.

I will find out our details on what is actually covered and make the call on buying additional coverage should be need it. We do also have the standard coverage through our credit card, but it is his work travel insurance that would be fronting the costs of any major medical issues that arise so we want to make sure it is adequate.

You may also want to be sure that if one in the party must be evacuated, will the insurance cover companion/family returning?

Thank you all...that travel guard post was actually what triggered my question. As I mentioned we are not too worried about the trip being cancelled or even lost luggage etc (though coverage for that would be great) as those are more or less known possible costs. But the emergency evacuation type of costs that we would not have thought of and obviously don't want to be paying out of pocket for! While it would hurt the pocket book to have to rebuy all our luggage or to buy a new flight home we would bounce back from that...but the emergency evacuation would put us under for a long, longggg time.

Hi,

I can tell you from personal experience that what you need to watch for is an emergency where you can't be evacuated but are required to stay in hospital for a length of time. Hospital may not let you leave. The costs could add up big time. You need to make sure your coverage is high enough - at least $500,000. And you should check plan for pre-existing clause. You may think you're covered but you're not. If you have not been stable for say 90 days (some say six months) or even if you have changed meds (or dosage of meds) you may not be covered. Insurance is a tricky thing & you need a good broker to explain it all to you.

My husband had a major heart attack in February in Puerto Rico - thank goodness we had coverage. But now pre-existing clause kicks & makes insurance more expensive, etc.

NJ

Check out GeoBlue' date=' annual policy. We usually buy cruiseline insurance (since it's so cheap) and buy GeoBlue for the evacuation coverage. It also has a small amount of medical coverage. I just call it, Peace of Mind insurance.[/quote']

GeoBlue is good and it covers pre-existing conitions.

This is just my experience and I am sure others have glowing things to say about cruise insurance but not me. I had a very bad experience with travel insurance 2 years ago. I herniated a disc in my back and the insurance company ended up not paying one dime. Gambee has mentioned that many will not cover falls if there is any alcohol in your system. The travel insurance I had was a recommendation from an online cruise outlet I am sure they have a connection. I had used this cruise outlet for years and I will never use them again. My most recent cruise I didn't even bother getting cruise insurance because I booked 1 1/2 months before the cruise. risky and I know I will purchase it again but won't naively have the feeling of peace of mind. I know it is more but I think buying it through RCI would be best because they have a stake in keeping you happy. So you will keep coming back. Good luck.

Check MedjetAssist.

https://medjetassist.com/