Are sharks ever a concern when snorkeling??

Carnivalqueen5

Although I am not a swimmer by any means I have been snorkeling (off the boat) several times on ship sponsored excursions with my sister and several friends (lifejackets are wonderful!!!). Anyway, my sister(the swimmer) informs me that this year we are not going snorkeling because she's scared because she has been hearing about too many shark attacks recently. Well, of course that means I can't go because I need her there with me to hold my hand for the first couple minutes of snorkeling so that I can finish hyperventilating and get myself together after being overcome with so much water. So, are there any shark experts out there? We are cruising on the Legend to St. Martin, Barbados, and Matinique. Is there ever a reason to be worried

Well, it's always possible there are sharks in the vicinity. You are in the ocean aka their home. I imagine that the people in charge of the snorkeling trips know areas where the sharks are more than other places. You can never be 100% sure though. You probably have a better chance of falling on the cruiseship than encountering a shark.

When I snorkeled in Belize we didn't even see anything but fish and eels ! So I definitely didn't have a worry about sharks (I'd loved to have seen one though!)

They are only only a concern if you see one.:D They are big , gray and have big teeth. but they only like slow fat people.

Well I guess I should be worried then, because I fit your description of what sharks like. I am going snorkeling for the first time in the ocean next week in Barbados and have also been kinda nervous. I was thinking the opposite though, sharks wouldn't attack the largest thing in the water of course, rather something smaller with shiny rings on:)

As another person pointed out you are in their domain so there is always the possibility of an encounter. I've snorkeled a lot in the islands and Mexico and have never seen a shark. I've seen baracuda twice. Both times they were much less interested in me than I was in them.

As far as the publicized shark attacks, keep in mind that most all were in the surf where water is turbulant and murky. The shark's senses may have been somewhat confused. Most shark attacks do not appear to be intentional. Unfortunately, when something as powerful as a shark makes a mistake the consequences are often very serious for humans.

Personally, I never even give it a second thought.

I bought some shock repellant just in case.:p My family laughs at me. I don't know how we'll ever test it to see if it works. I'm going to ask the snorkel tour guide to try it out for me first in Belize.:eek: You think they'll do it?

I've been snorkelling and diving for years in the Caribbean, and the only sharks I've ever seen were some 1-2 foot reef sharks who scattered the minute they saw me! I've never worried about sharks while snorkelling. Shallow water snorkelling to see the variety of tropical fish that sharks seem not to prefer is quite safe! While diving in Fiji, we saw several black-tipped sharks waaaay down deep, and my pictures didn't turn out:( . Now....Fire Coral...whole different story! Ouch!

We've been snorkeling many times and haven't seen any sharks.

Just stay away from where people are fishing and swim where the waters are clear.

Even being from Florida, we don't usually see sharks, unless it's around where people are throwing fish "parts" into the water to attract other fish.

Remember the story several years ago about the young boy who had an arm severed by a shark? I think his name was Jesse. Anyway, it happened on the Gulf Coast..Alabama, I think. He lost most of his blood volume and nearly died. He's had a very long road to recovery, and unfortunately, will probably never be the same. The story around here is that he was with his aunt and uncle who were doing shore fishing and snagged a bull shark. (I heard they were chumming.) They thought it was dead. The uncle asked the boy to "come pet the shark" so he could get a picture. The shark was up on shore. The shark wasn't dead, either. Just relating what I've heard. There was also a young 14-year old girl from Louisiana who was fatally attacked by a shark this past summer off the Florida panhandle, because....she and a friend were "boogie-boarding" well out of the "safe" area, on a sandbar way offshore. Sandbars attract fish. Fish attract sharks. I don't think that any cruiseline (or independent excursion company) would offer a snorkelling excursion where dangerous conditions existed. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to book a snorkelling excursion! (Well, actually I would, because they're a bit too "tame" for my tastes!) Just my thoughts.

We have seen plenty of them while diving in Northern California but never in the Carib or Mexico.....just rub some tuna on your sisters fins when she isn't looking and YOU should be just fine!!:D

Although I am not a swimmer by any means I have been snorkeling (off the boat) several times on ship sponsored excursions with my sister and several friends (lifejackets are wonderful!!!). Anyway, my sister(the swimmer) informs me that this year we are not going snorkeling because she's scared because she has been hearing about too many shark attacks recently. Well, of course that means I can't go because I need her there with me to hold my hand for the first couple minutes of snorkeling so that I can finish hyperventilating and get myself together after being overcome with so much water. So, are there any shark experts out there? We are cruising on the Legend to St. Martin, Barbados, and Matinique. Is there ever a reason to be worried

The cruise ship snorkeling tours are not goig to take you to shark waters, (unless it is a specific tour advertized to see sharks). No need to worry. All of our snorkeling in the Caribbean has been in shallow waters and have not had any sharks.:)

We have snorkeled with sharks in Tahiti (sharks were specified in the trip) and they will not harm you.

I have heard that when sharks attack, like surfers in deeper water, they are mistaking the surfer for a seal.

We have seen plenty of them while diving in Northern California but never in the Carib or Mexico.....just rub some tuna on your sisters fins when she isn't looking and YOU should be just fine!!:D

Love it!! But, would it work on my brother's fins?? (I got stuck baby-sitting him because I was 12 when he was born):D :D

I've never seen a shark while snorkeling in the Carib. Have in Hawaii and Tahiti. Just be sure that you don't wear an ankle bracelet or toe rings while in the water. If you have a toe ring and can't get it off, put a band-aid over it.

I didn't give it a thought when I wore my toe rings into the water a couple years ago. I nearly had a heart attack when I felt something nibbling at my toe. Darn rings attracted fish. Didn't hurt but scared the crap out of me! :)

One other word of warning, a poster mentioned that the trips involving sharks will usually state that. In Tahiti, I took a snorkeling trip. There was a shark feeding trip leaving shortly after us. Darned if they didn't come to our area of the reef to feed the sharks. Now, if I see a shark feeding trip offered, I skip the snorkeling. We were swarmed by sharks and had to actually drop our fins to alleviate any confusion on the sharks part. There wasn't any confusion on my part - I wanted back on the dive boat. LOL

I have only seen a shark 1 time in all my snorkeling trips it was in Maui at Molinkini crator. Here is the funny part only me and my wife saw it. We were snorkeling on the boat Fair Winds with about 50 to 60 other people the boat moors itself about 30 yard from the rim of the Volcano top and most people snorkel from the boat back to the rim were it goes from 20 to 5 feet deep well my wife and i were near the front on the boat in about 40 feet of water and at the bottom there was a 5 foot reef shark slowly cruising and head back torwards deeper water we both pointed and look to see if other people saw it but they were all facing the other way LOL. I talked to the captan he said most reef sharks will go the other way when they see people and are more frequently activre at dusk, night and dawn. This shark paid us no attention at all now he was fifty feet away and swiming in the opposite direction so it made me feel a slight bit more comfortable than if he was coming straight at us :D

Earthfarie,

We snorkelled lots in Barbados earlier this year and all we saw were Turtles (and huge turtles at that), though even they freaked out my snorkel scared boyfriend when he got in the way and one swam straight into him from behind, suppose I should have warned him as I saw it swimming towards him , but the look on his face and his near drowning as he swallowed a mouthfull of water was far too amusing.

Enjoy and I am soooo jealous as the turtles were the highlight of my trip.

The story around here is that he was with his aunt and uncle who were doing shore fishing and snagged a bull shark. (I heard they were chumming.) They thought it was dead. The uncle asked the boy to "come pet the shark" so he could get a picture.

Oh dear, that was foolish, even if they did think it was dead. Bull sharks aren't called that for nothing; they're extremely aggressive.

I wouldn't worry about sharks in the Caribbean; like someone else mentioned the tour guides know which areas are likely to draw sharks of the aggressive variety and will be aware if they're in the area that day. Reef sharks in that area usually run away from people.

And also as mentioned, most shark bites occur in more shallow waters near the breakers, where the shark can become confused and see the swimming/surfing human above as one of their prey. (They are usually investigating, not attacking, when they bite, but investigating for them is limb-tearing for us.)

I've snorkeled and have been a diver for almost 20 years. My husband is a PADI certified Dive Master and Rescue Diver.

To be honest, I see some form of shark on about half my snorkel or dive trips BUT that shark may be a little twelve inch long thing.

Most shark species are NOT aggressive to human beings.

Most shark attacks occur during feeding time which is early morning and late afternoon.

My husband was actually bumped by a great white shark while diving off the coast of San Diego.

That being said, your chances of running into an aggressive shark while on a snorkeling trip are non existant. Zero. Zilch.

Your tour group has too much to lose by putting a bunch of novice snorkelers in the water where a shark sighting may happen. Word of mouth would kill their business.

For me, I think sharks are exotic wonderful creatures who have evolved little since prehistoric days. They are fascinating animals and I am thrilled every time I see one.

So, don't panic. Have fun.

I wouldn't worry about sharks in the Caribbean; like someone else mentioned the tour guides know which areas are likely to draw sharks of the aggressive variety and will be aware if they're in the area that day. quote]

The Caribbean is shark city. But, sharks aren't looking for you unless they think you are potential food. The locals know which areas have sharks and which don't. However, regardless of where you are, I would not recommend snorkeling if you have any open cuts since sharks can sense blood for a couple of miles. The only sharks I've been close to are nurse sharks.

Thank You so much for all your shark expertise. My sister and I read through all of the posts and I must admit that some of you had us cracking up!! I also want to thank those who were very informative in a 'for real' scientific-type way. We still have not decided if we are going to snorkle this cruise but as I said before, it's all up to my sister because I'm not going in there ALONE!

Archived