Harbor Bridge Climb

tcad1

I haven't done it myself, my daughter has. There are reports of quite elderly people doing the climb. There is a small walkway across the traffic and several steps before the climb over the arch.

It looks reasonably easy but I can't really comment. Don't forget it's breezy up there.

I look forward to reading the posts for my own interest.

have you looked at their website? I think it's www.bridgeclimb.com.au.

How difficult is the Sydney Harbor Bridge climb? Do you have to be in super shape to do this or can a normal person make it?

What is a normal person????????????

From what I have heard as long as you can climb steps and are not afraid of heights ......anyone can do it.

Bookings are essential though,as you have to prepare for the climb.That is .....dress in a boiler suit,with absolutely nothing in your pockets that could fall out onto the traffic below and then you are hooked on to a rail ,via a wire rope ,so there is no way you can fall off.The hardest part is climbing up to the arch of the bridge.You are then dispatched in groups,and each group has a tour guide who gives a description via earphones.Digital photo's are taken at the the apex and are ready for you when you descend.

We did the climb quite a few years ago when it was first set up. We were in our late fifties at the time and we found it very easy.

We were told that an eighty year old had done it. You do have to climb up steps or ladders and we thought the hardest part was when we were closest to the railway line and I think we had to descend down the steps/ladders.

When you first arrive you are taken into a special changing room where as Kiwi Kruzer mentioned, you put a boiler suit over your clothes and hand in all jewellery including your watches. You are then told about the climb and then go in groups of ten. It is a great experience and well worth it. If you are a normal fit person who enjoys walking then it will be no trouble but if you have trouble with your knees and stairs then it will be a lot harder.

You do need to book early as it is sold out very quickly. Here is the website for it:

http://www.bridgeclimb.com/

Jennie

Bridge climb is easy.

Alan

Absolutely agreed.

I don't agree, though, with necessarily having to book early. It's only really booked out solid in the couple of weeks around Christmas and New Year. Otherwise, it's usually very possible to get on a climb on the same day, as long as you avoid the dawn and dusk tours which are normally the only ones on which there's any real pressure, and you can be a little flexible on time. One advantage of booking at shorter notice is that you have a much better idea of what the weather is going to be like - there is no point going up in drizzle or heavy rain, for example, when you can't see anything.

• 3 weeks later...
How difficult is the Sydney Harbor Bridge climb? Do you have to be in super shape to do this or can a normal person make it?

Another great option is to visit the Bridge Museum which is housed in south-east pylon of the bridge. It is still a good walk including stair climb but the climb is fully sheltered within the pylon until you get to the top. There you can walk around the top circumference of the pylon looking over the edge through a safety glass shield (but still in the open) to view all of the harbour and town and look down on bridge climbers as they start their trek. There are displays within the pylon and an AV display of the bridge building. Best of all it only costs about $10 and you don't have to suit up!

there is also another skyway walk you can do. It is brand new. It is on top of centrepoint tower which is the tall building that looks like a crows nest on a ship

This is a glass floor walkway that cirlces the building(on the outside) at a great height, not for me i am afraid!!!

You can of course walk along the path that runs along the bridge at traffic level for free and with no booking, quite safe.

Here's the link: www.skywalk.com.au.

Personally, though, I can't see the attraction of this. You can get pretty much the exact same view from the inside of the Tower. The only extra is that you're outside, with, I suppose the thrill of looking down - but you can get that from the inside of the CN Tower and it's not a particularly big deal after a few seconds.

The point about the Bridgeclimb is that you're not allowed up there otherwise, but it's a great place from which to look at the City.

You cannot take your camera on either the SkyWalk or the BridgeClimb. I can understand this from a safety perspective as they would not want cameras dropping up to 250m down to the ground. Both will gladly sell you photos, but you can take your own camera up into the Sydney Tower observation deck.

SkyWalk: AUD 109

http://www.skywalk.com.au

Sydney Tower Observation Deck + virtual reality OzTrek: AUD 23.50

http://www.sydneyskytour.com.au/welcome.html

Steve

• 1 year later...

I did another Bridgeclimb last week (my fourth, now, I think).

The company has installed a new route that has a certain amount of extra interest for those who have already done the original route. If you look at an elevation drawing of the bridge, you'll see that it has two arches, one below the other. The original route took you straight to the upper arch when you got to where the arches start, and then took you to the summit by walking over the upper arch. The new route takes you further along the bridge to where the lower arch intersects the roadway. Then you walk over the lower arch to a point directly underneath the summit before climbing vertically to the summit.

The new route gives you much more of a feel for how the bridge is put together and what it makes it tick, in an engineering sense. I think that for anyone who's used to it being an everyday object, it also gives you a better sense of just how spectacular a feat it was, and how extraordinarily oversized it must have been at the time that it was built. But it's not as scenic, and I think that the original route must still be the climb of choice for the first timer.

Granted that it was in the middle of winter, it was still very easy to book at short notice (24 hours). I think, actually, that I could have turned up on the day and got on to the climb I did - even though they only do the new route a handful of times a day at the moment. But timing was rather critical for the one day that I could do it, so I did book ahead to make sure I had the place saved at a time when the weather was forecast to be good. Booking at short notice for the original route would have been no problem.

Globaliser, maybe you can answer this question for me. I am planning on a twilight climb in December. They offer early twilight and late twilight but do not specify on the website even approximate times. Would you have an idea of these times? Thanks, Judy:)

The sun usually sets about 8.30pm in December. So I imagine early twilight might be around 7.30pm and late twilight would probably be around 8.30pm. I'm only guessing based on sunset time though. This is what the website says:

Early Twilight: After embarking on your Climb in the afternoon, you will reach the summit as the sun begins to set. As you arrive on the western side of the Bridge the sun will have reached the horizon and evening will emerge.

Late Twilight: Emerge onto the Eastern arch as the sun falls to the horizon. As you descend from the Bridge you’ll experience the lightshow of Sydney at night. Both Twilight experiences are extremely popular so it’s a good idea to book well in advance. Twilight Climbs can be booked online, however if you have a stronger preference for one of the two Twilight experiences, please contact the Ticket Hotline.

Another great option is to visit the Bridge Museum which is housed in south-east pylon of the bridge. It is still a good walk including stair climb but the climb is fully sheltered within the pylon until you get to the top. There you can walk around the top circumference of the pylon looking over the edge through a safety glass shield (but still in the open) to view all of the harbour and town and look down on bridge climbers as they start their trek. There are displays within the pylon and an AV display of the bridge building. Best of all it only costs about $10 and you don't have to suit up!

Yes, and this is the closest pylon to the OPT cruiseship terminal. While you can do the climb as well, this has great views, and you can take your camera.

Website

While the comments about not needing to book ahead for Bridgeclimb are usually valid, it would be disappointing to travel across the world to find that you have hit a busy day. If you can only do it on 1 day and a certain time, it would pay to book ahead.

Cheers,

Got an answer to my question directly from the source. Twilight times in December are between 5:45 and 6:45. They advised that they have limited availability in December so anyone interested should book asap. I just did and was given 6:15 as my time. Judy:)

Globaliser, maybe you can answer this question for me. I am planning on a twilight climb in December. They offer early twilight and late twilight but do not specify on the website even approximate times. Would you have an idea of these times? Thanks, Judy:)

Got an answer to my question directly from the source. Twilight times in December are between 5:45 and 6:45. They advised that they have limited availability in December so anyone interested should book asap. I just did and was given 6:15 as my time. Judy:)

Were you booking the twilight climb for a particular reason? Between 5.45 and 6.45 is not twilight its almost mid-afternoon and still quite warm. But it won't be as hot as earlier. So if you wanted twilight because it will be a little bit cooler in temperature, the time is good. But if you were hoping to see the sun go down you're about 2 hours early.;)

They offer early twilight and late twilight but do not specify on the website even approximate times.
Were you booking the twilight climb for a particular reason? Between 5.45 and 6.45 is not twilight its almost mid-afternoon and still quite warm. But it won't be as hot as earlier. So if you wanted twilight because it will be a little bit cooler in temperature, the time is good. But if you were hoping to see the sun go down you're about 2 hours early.;)
I think that the twilight climbs are timed so that you arrive at the specified parts of the bridge exactly at the stated times. In mid-December, sunset in Sydney is at about 2000 local time - in fact, 2010 local time is pretty much about as late as the sun ever sets in Sydney (source: timeanddate.com).

However, the climb time is the time at which you report to the climb base to begin the entire process, starting with the form-filling, breathalyser test etc. It does take about 1½ hours from that time to get onto the main arch - remember that the entire climb is 3¼ hours from reporting at the beginning to getting into the shop at the end - so the time that tobes has been given sounds about right to me.

The twilight climbs are the most expensive climbs in the Bridgeclimb repertoire, so I have no doubt that they will have the timing down pat. In any case, all the climbs are very accurately timed, pretty much to the minute - even though the climb leaders are very good in never letting the time pressure show.

• 5 weeks later...

The hardest part about the bridge climb is the ladders. My BF did the climb in Nov. He was nervous at first, but loved it. I couldn't as I had vertigo. We met an older couple who had done Sydney and Brisbane, they were on their way to NZ via a cruise, he was going to climb the bridge there. He mentioned the 4 th bridge that you can climb is in the US.

There were many people of different ages and weights who were climbing. They also give you a breathalyser prior to the walk and when you register you are asked a bunch of questions. You are also harnessed in and wearing a suit over your clothing. You must also wear closed toe shoes (sneakers).

You cannot bring a camera for safety reasons, they do take your picture multiple times, you can buy a cd, and you also receive a certificate of accomplishment.

Alternatively you can climb the stairs in one of the pylons to an observation deck to see the view and take pictures.

Hope this helps!

Laura

Archived