Scenic Eclipse

russg140

7 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

If the yard has to file for bankruptcy any plans of seeing this ship within the next few years are gone.  I really cannot believe anyone would still consider booking  this ship with everything know now. And how or why anyone who stay booked for these cruises if they have already deposited. 

Are people really hanging any hope on  "interest of potential strategic partners,..... potential investors from Ukraine, Italy, Germany, China and Australia for Uljanik,...."  ?  Even if the ship was completed now it would still be hard to be on a cruise by April. many things need to happen before turn over, and then the ship needs to be outfitted, stocked, and registered in the flagged country, inspected, sea trails, etc, etc, etc.  

No one will be sailing on a April Cruise.... it is impossible at this point.

I agree with your assessment - this ship won't sail in April and I doubt will ever sail!!

We were booked on the April cruise and have now cancelled. We obtained a full refund this week. How did we do that?? We engaged a lawyer. That was the only way we could get any response from Scenic. Scenic responded immediately to our lawyers approaches. We were prepared to take it further and take action through the ACCC and Australian Consumer law. We don't have to now thankfully having been refunded in full everything paid.

This week we booked an alternate Mediterranean cruise and finalised all other bookings for what will be an amazing 6.5 week Mediterranean holiday. The new cruise is great and much cheaper than Scenic. Booking this alternate cruise has re-energised us and we are now finally able to get excited about our trip with no thanks to Scenic.

We have travelled twice with Scenic and have referred many people to them, before but will never, ever book with them again nor will we refer friends to them ever again. 

I wish everyone who is still booked and hoping the Eclipse sails good luck. I really hope the ship sails.

But I would suggest you need to be realistic and if you are booked to travel in April you need to take action now or else I fear you will be horribly disappointed and let down by Scenic yet again. Good luck to those who stay booked.

Edited by gkhin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gkhin said:

I agree with your assessment - this ship won't sail in April and I doubt will ever sail!!

We were booked on the April cruise and have now cancelled. We obtained a full refund this week. How did we do that?? We engaged a lawyer. That was the only way we could get any response from Scenic. Scenic responded immediately to our lawyers approaches. We were prepared to take it further and take action through the ACCC and Australian Consumer law. We don't have to now thankfully having been refunded in full everything paid.

This week we booked an alternate Mediterranean cruise and finalised all other bookings for what will be an amazing 6.5 week Mediterranean holiday. The new cruise is great and much cheaper than Scenic. Booking this alternate cruise has re-energised us and we are now finally able to get excited about our trip with no thanks to Scenic.

We have traveled twice with Scenic and have referred many people to them, before but will never, ever book with them again nor will we refer friends to them ever again. 

I wish everyone who is still booked and hoping the Eclipse sails good luck. I really hope the ship sails.

But I would suggest you need to be realistic and if you are booked to travel in April you need to take action now or else I fear you will be horribly disappointed and let down by Scenic yet again. Good luck to those who stay booked.

I really like it when I read a posting like yours, many of these business think they can break the rules and the laws and the guest will not take the time and or spend the money to take action. The truth is Scenic is nothing more than a bully they act like you must fear them. In truth they fear the guest who take action.

The last thing they want is any of these cases in court.  Because your protection laws Australia are different it required you to spend money on a lawyer. Money that was well spent. But for anyone who booked through the USA site they can go through the 93A process I outline before above.  No need to hire a lawyer just a 93A letter and a complaint to the Mass AG will have the same results full refund. 

I really cannot believe anyone would stayed booked with them at this point. Really Sad.

Reading with great interest all the comments with regards Scenic Eclipse. Our cruise was cancelled back in July, of course, the ship was not going to be ready for our 'Cuba in Depth' sailing on the 18th October. I really cannot believe that they are still taking bookings. We received a little,very flimsy,cheap brochure from them the other day,promoting their 2019/2020 cruises. We have since booked a cruise in the Carribean sailing 4th March and another one for November, finally will get to Cuba. Both with Silversea, our 6th and 7th with them. Also received their new,very elegant brochure along with Xmas card,calendar and chocolate. Scenic, you will really have to try harder!

I do feel for all of you who booked and cruises were cancelled.  I may be crazy but I am going to hang in there a bit longer and see what happens.  My Eclipse cruise is not until July, 2020 so a lot can happen between now and then. I also have a Mekong river cruise booked with Scenic in early, 2020. I just checked my travel insurance, which by the way is FREE with my Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card and should the cruise(s) be cancelled due to financial insolvency of the tour operator we would be completely covered.  I'll see how this plays out...if the Eclipse launches in 2019 or not.  There should be some news soon as it is not that far off.  We should hear soon about the shipyard and how Scenic can resolve this, if they can. 

A new article from Croatia.

"The outside molding of this luxurious polar vessel, which was worked on by as many as 400 to 700 people was completed, out of which about ten percent of Uljanik's employees were directly engaged. The rest of the ship has been being built by some of Uljanik's co-operatives and people from the Scenic Group itself. When finally finished, it will be part of a fleet of twenty luxury cruisers of which the aforementioned company is proud. "

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/33655-uljanik

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

A new article from Croatia.

"The outside molding of this luxurious polar vessel, which was worked on by as many as 400 to 700 people was completed, out of which about ten percent of Uljanik's employees were directly engaged. The rest of the ship has been being built by some of Uljanik's co-operatives and people from the Scenic Group itself. When finally finished, it will be part of a fleet of twenty luxury cruisers of which the aforementioned company is proud. "

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/33655-uljanik

This article is more encouraging.  Thanks for sharing the link. It seems like things are going to get worked out which is good news.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:16 AM, Mistinguett said:

Reading with great interest all the comments with regards Scenic Eclipse. Our cruise was cancelled back in July, of course, the ship was not going to be ready for our 'Cuba in Depth' sailing on the 18th October. I really cannot believe that they are still taking bookings. We received a little,very flimsy,cheap brochure from them the other day,promoting their 2019/2020 cruises. We have since booked a cruise in the Carribean sailing 4th March and another one for November, finally will get to Cuba. Both with Silversea, our 6th and 7th with them. Also received their new,very elegant brochure along with Xmas card,calendar and chocolate. Scenic, you will really have to try harder!

I think they need to do more than "try harder", in my opinion they need a complete culture change in the way the handle communication and problems passengers bring to their attention, eg, being bussed for half of a European River cruise, and more significantly for people booked on the Eclipse, up to date bulletins from ST itself instead of people seeking answers elsewhere.

9 hours ago, dougo in oz said:

I think they need to do more than "try harder", in my opinion they need a complete culture change in the way the handle communication and problems passengers bring to their attention, eg, being bussed for half of a European River cruise, and more significantly for people booked on the Eclipse, up to date bulletins from ST itself instead of people seeking answers elsewhere.

I don't think there is an doubt about that!

Will it happen? probably not because it all starts at the top.

Also, I do understand that they are under huge pressures at the moment, but that is no excuse.

We are booked on it in August and although I do think it will be operational by then, I reckon it could be a shabbles onboard, with staff not knowing what or how to do their job properly on such a totally new ship. And with passenger already not very happy or onside with Scenic because of the lack of communication, tensions could be fairly high.

I have/had 3 bookings on the Scenic Eclipse. One to the Antarctic, that was canceled for January 2019, the others for the Arctic in June/July 2019 and Mediterranean in 2020. 

I have received full refunds of all expenses for the cancellation. As a loyal Scenic customer I had 4 other future bookings. The compensation of 25% off the next booking, caused Scenic to go down in my books, as they said I couldn’t transfer the 25% off my next existing booking (the Arctic), it could only be applied to a “new” future booking. So because I was loyal, I was being penalised and needed to have a 5th booking..........

............well that wasn’t going to happen, and as we really wanted to experience the Antarctic, we made a new booking for Feb 2020 and I cancelled one of the other cruises. We also have a land tour booking to Egypt this year. 

So we are about 3 weeks off paying the full amount for the Arctic cruise. I have it in my mind that this won’t go ahead but really I have nothing to lose by keeping the booking, as I know we will get full refunds. I will hold off booking flights until I know it’s going to sail. However, I think I will send Scenic an email, requesting confirmation that in the likely event of cancellation, that I can then use the compensation discount on my next booking to Egypt and NOT have to make a new booking. What are your thoughts on this? Keep in mind that the Egypt tour substantially less $ than the cruise, as we had booked the penthouse, so 25% won’t be a hell of a lot in comparison. 

1 hour ago, czardas said:

I have/had 3 bookings on the Scenic Eclipse. One to the Antarctic, that was canceled for January 2019, the others for the Arctic in June/July 2019 and Mediterranean in 2020. 

I have received full refunds of all expenses for the cancellation. As a loyal Scenic customer I had 4 other future bookings. The compensation of 25% off the next booking, caused Scenic to go down in my books, as they said I couldn’t transfer the 25% off my next existing booking (the Arctic), it could only be applied to a “new” future booking. So because I was loyal, I was being penalised and needed to have a 5th booking..........

............well that wasn’t going to happen, and as we really wanted to experience the Antarctic, we made a new booking for Feb 2020 and I cancelled one of the other cruises. We also have a land tour booking to Egypt this year. 

So we are about 3 weeks off paying the full amount for the Arctic cruise. I have it in my mind that this won’t go ahead but really I have nothing to lose by keeping the booking, as I know we will get full refunds. I will hold off booking flights until I know it’s going to sail. However, I think I will send Scenic an email, requesting confirmation that in the likely event of cancellation, that I can then use the compensation discount on my next booking to Egypt and NOT have to make a new booking. What are your thoughts on this? Keep in mind that the Egypt tour substantially less $ than the cruise, as we had booked the penthouse, so 25% won’t be a hell of a lot in comparison. 

If it is not in their T&C that their "loyalty discount" of 25% (as opposed to a refund) can only be applied to new bookings, then take them to task.  I think this is a question you need to as the equivalent of Fair Trading with reference to the Consumer Guarantees.

Whether or not the Eclipse is up and running by June / July is anyone's guess. 

Whatever you do, you need to conduct your correspondence with them in writing and get a written response.  If you cannot get a written response the get the name of the person you are speaking to, keep notes on the conversation (time/date etc) because if you have to go to a tribunal or court over this loss, then they should be considered "contemporaneous", ie, taken at the time of the communication and reflecting what was said.

And further news from Croatia the Government expects 2 offers to buy the shipyard.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/33727-uljanik

And a report in a Sydney paper that Scenic does indeed have a plan to complete the eclipse by April whatever happens to Uljanik.unfortunately behind a firewall.

Scenic travel company boss Glen Moroney's plan to save his $350m ...

11 minutes ago, drron29 said:

And further news from Croatia the Government expects 2 offers to buy the shipyard.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/33727-uljanik

And a report in a Sydney paper that Scenic does indeed have a plan to complete the eclipse by April whatever happens to Uljanik.unfortunately behind a firewall.

Scenic travel company boss Glen Moroney's plan to save his $350m ...

Sorry, can't read the article as you need to be a subscriber to the DT

The above post is from Facebook. Hopefully all will now be ok. Our Antarctica cruise was cancelled but we were fully refunded and able to get onboard Seabourn Quest. Only just home and must say don’t miss South Georgia. Seabourn was a fantastic way to see Antarctica and their expedition team were excellent.

we hope to still be able to try the Scenic Eclipse one day 

And an offer to takeover the shipyards has been made.

"ZAGREB, January 26, 2019 - Brodosplit, in partnership with Italy's Fincantieri Group, has made an offer for the restructuring of the ailing Uljanik shipbuilding group, the Split-based shipyard announced on Friday evening.

"We can confirm that Brodosplit, in partnership with the Fincantieri Group, today submitted a bid for the restructuring of the Uljanik Group," Brodosplit said in a brief statement."

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/33785-uljanik

OK so a offer has been made  today the January 26, even if the yard says yes long way from a offer to a agreement. Which means more delays, this ship will never be ready for passengers in April. Even if the yard was the best in the world and no other issues no way to complete, sea trial, turn offer and been ready for a cruise in 11 weeks. It is a pipe dream. Sorry

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 7:21 AM, boblerm said:

The problem I see with these two reports is that both rely on press releases issued by ST rather than an independent reporter.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

And the Croatian news on the partner.There will be a recapitalisation.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/34019-uljanik

IMO, this reporting is telling me there will quite a lot of planning going into the operations of the business which doesn't necessarily co-incide with ST's upbeat view that the Eclipse will be finished by April ...  I can't see how new partners can take over a failing business without some big changes to management and potentially the workforce.  

Edited by dougo in oz

At this point I almost think those booked in April should lose your money when the ship does not sail. It is very clear the line is lying, even with this new partnership it is impossible to turn this business around overnight. And even with a overnight turn around not enough time to have a ship ready for a cruise in April.... fool and his money are soon parted....

8 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

At this point I almost think those booked in April should lose your money when the ship does not sail. It is very clear the line is lying, even with this new partnership it is impossible to turn this business around overnight. And even with a overnight turn around not enough time to have a ship ready for a cruise in April.... fool and his money are soon parted....

Wow, really?