Scenic Eclipse

russg140

On 6/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, goorawin said:

Since we are booked to join it on the 15 August I can feel a little more confident that it will make it, as well hopefully it'll have most of the normal new bugs sorted out before that date.

I have been following this thread for over a year when our cruised was cancelled July 5 2018 for our September 2018 cruise on the Eclipse.

Hoping you have any (or anyone)  good updates for your Aug 15th cruise or any cruise date. Can’t wait to see this ship set out to sea. 🤞

Looks like Scenic just adjusted several of Eclipse's itineraries this October, no longer going to Cuba. Two of the cruises now have a respective departure or arrival port in Miami instead of Havana. I'm surprised, as I figured non US cruise lines could still travel there.

8 hours ago, wineforhealth said:

I have been following this thread for over a year when our cruised was cancelled July 5 2018 for our September 2018 cruise on the Eclipse.

Hoping you have any (or anyone)  good updates for your Aug 15th cruise or any cruise date. Can’t wait to see this ship set out to sea. 🤞

I'm starting to look forward to seeing and experiencing the Eclipse first hand.

As a matter of interest it has just spent another day at sea, earlier this week.

Today we had advise that our documents are being posted to us, so should see them next week.

Anyway will keep you posted.

3 hours ago, towel-animal said:

Looks like Scenic just adjusted several of Eclipse's itineraries this October, no longer going to Cuba. Two of the cruises now have a respective departure or arrival port in Miami instead of Havana. I'm surprised, as I figured non US cruise lines could still travel there. 

That is understandable as there are no doubt many Americans booked on it, and they would not be allowed to disembark

Yes,  We've been booked(and paid) on the Cuba to Peru cruise leaving on the 19th October.  Been told that Cuba is now out which is annoying as we'd previously had the same with Silversea and only moved to Scenic because we understood that they were an Australian company and wouldn't be effected.  Sadly they have a US corporate office which, I'm told, is the problem.  I'm looking at staying on the revised cruise though I am very nervous about their lack of interest in trying to help us change the flights booked through them so that we can avoid the 4 hour immigration queues at Miama.  It seems that they will only do the bare minimum to help so long as it doesn't cost them much which is not what I expect of a supposed 5 star operation; hence my concern.  Are they financially viable?  Does anyone else have this problem?  I'd love to know.

2 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

Yes,  We've been booked(and paid) on the Cuba to Peru cruise leaving on the 19th October.  Been told that Cuba is now out which is annoying as we'd previously had the same with Silversea and only moved to Scenic because we understood that they were an Australian company and wouldn't be effected.  Sadly they have a US corporate office which, I'm told, is the problem.  I'm looking at staying on the revised cruise though I am very nervous about their lack of interest in trying to help us change the flights booked through them so that we can avoid the 4 hour immigration queues at Miama.  It seems that they will only do the bare minimum to help so long as it doesn't cost them much which is not what I expect of a supposed 5 star operation; hence my concern.  Are they financially viable?  Does anyone else have this problem?  I'd love to know.

We were booked with Scenic to do the Cuba in Depth cruise for October 18th of last year? Eight weeks after payment by bank transfer in full, we were notified that the cruise was cancelled, we all know why, no ship! We then found out that Silversea, who we had already done 6 sailings with were now doing Cuba, so we booked for the November 2019 sailing from Ft. Lauderdale! Guess what, no sailings to Cuba from the USA! Thank you Donald Trump!We cancelled, the ports that replaced Cuba, we did them in March! 

It has nothing to do with where the offices are located, or what flag the ship sails under. Also USA citizens cannot visit under the previous “people to people” programme set up by Obama! My husband is a US citizen. What a mess!!!!!!!!!  I suppose we can forget about visiting Cuba, unless things change!😳

9 hours ago, towel-animal said:

I don't think any of the cruise lines are "US" cruise lines. They are all registered to other countries. Everyone has dropped Cuba from their itineraries. 

1 minute ago, TRIPACIAN said:

It is just a month away from the first cruise on the Eclipse, has anyone heard anything recently about the ship?

I had a recent communication with an executive at Scenic and she wrote:

We are actively preparing for the launch of the Scenic Eclipse next month.  It’s an exciting time here for Scenic.

Our documentation for our Eclipse trip on 15th August has arrived. I must say that it has left us a little dissapointed when compared to documentation from other expedition Company's such as Ponant, Silverseas and APT.

No information on the expedition staff and very limited information on the actual cruise. Seems we have to wait until we board to get any worthwhile information and with a bit of luck a welcome.

Would you believe they even want us to complete another medical form and that is after all the information that they demanded be completed online, by our Doctors.

It's just a repeat of what what has already been done and this we assume is for the ships doctor. So what's the online one for!!!!!!

Unbelievable, so much private information, just floating around everywhere, and no one seems to care.

Oh dear, Scenic has a lot to learn!

8 hours ago, goorawin said:

Our documentation for our Eclipse trip on 15th August has arrived. I must say that it has left us a little dissapointed when compared to documentation from other expedition Company's such as Ponant, Silverseas and APT.

No information on the expedition staff and very limited information on the actual cruise. Seems we have to wait until we board to get any worthwhile information and with a bit of luck a welcome.

Exciting that you got your docs — that certainly must make everything feel more real, despite it sounding like a bare bones packet. Does your documentation give you information on arrival and departure time for each port for your cruise? I have been unable to get any answers on how long we're actually spending in any of the ports of call for ours. 

Also, did they give you specific terminal/location information for embarkation?  

We completed the online medical forms as part of the trip Personalizer requirement. Once they were submitted I received a response from scenic about a particular allergy that I listed responding directly to my concern about that in a substantive, positive and meaningful way. I also read somewhere and I’m not sure whether it was in the brochure or online that the copy which you are asked to bring on board when you embark is so that it is physically there on the ship for the doctor In the event of an emergency. I also understand that at the conclusion of the ship the document will be returned to us before we disembark. Filling out the form online took less than three minutes. I hardly think it’s worth grousing about to have to do it again and it is a price I will gladly pay to be able to sail on the ship which has been the stuff of which our dreams have been made.

Edited by RockyandMoose

Ironically. I just found a copy of the Eclipse glossy brochure in our recycling room and brought it upstairs out of curiosity. I was then curious about actual experiences and that brought me here and many pages of posts later my eyes are tired!  

I sincerely hope that the August dates hold for all of you who are still booked. I did notice that in the brochure the prices are only marginally discounted, but haven’t looked online. 

We’re on a Windstar itin in August and recently watched our itin fill up within the span of about a week and we got a massive upgrade to the owner’s suite. Maybe coincidence or maybe people who moved to WS to not lose their vacation. 

I’ll check back in mid August and hope to be able to read some true shipboard reports!

On 7/20/2019 at 1:08 PM, RockyandMoose said:

We completed the online medical forms as part of the trip Personalizer requirement. Once they were submitted I received a response from scenic about a particular allergy that I listed responding directly to my concern about that in a substantive, positive and meaningful way. I also read somewhere and I’m not sure whether it was in the brochure or online that the copy which you are asked to bring on board when you embark is so that it is physically there on the ship for the doctor In the event of an emergency. I also understand that at the conclusion of the ship the document will be returned to us before we disembark. Filling out the form online took less than three minutes. I hardly think it’s worth grousing about to have to do it again and it is a price I will gladly pay to be able to sail on the ship which has been the stuff of which our dreams have been made. 

If they require you to bring a hard copy on board why is there any need for the online medical version that is stored by a third party, which by the way has nothing to do with Scenic??? Who destroys that information?.

I was under the impression that the Doctor onboard would have access to the online version.

The idea of online is good except for long term privacy and security and also if there is a problem getting online when you visit your Doctor.

I should also mention that the online version is supposed to be totally filled in by your Doctor not by the individual. As well, it certainly takes longer than three minutes, unless you are 100% healthy and fit and don't take any medication.

Maybe be your USA form is different to ours which is 5 pages of information that needs completing!

As for filling out another copy, why can't Scenic just do their own copy if that what's required?????

So no I don't agree with you at all.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:23 PM, towel-animal said:

Exciting that you got your docs — that certainly must make everything feel more real, despite it sounding like a bare bones packet. Does your documentation give you information on arrival and departure time for each port for your cruise? I have been unable to get any answers on how long we're actually spending in any of the ports of call for ours. 

Also, did they give you specific terminal/location information for embarkation?  

Yes, but in the wrong booklet.

Information on ports is scant but there is times, which is a plus. But then they can change on these types of cruises anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

goorawin  I hope you have a good cruise and there are not too many  surprises on this 

inaugural scenic eclipse cruise.   We were  booked on the 15 August  sailing but  cancelled as we never wanted to be on the maiden voyage.  We have sailed on Silverseas  many times,  and with Kara Weller several times.   Hopefully Scenic have got their act together  and you have an  enjoyable trip.   Please come back   here and let us know how it goes.   We are still going on our trip  so  will be in Quebec City  to  see the ship  sail into  the port.   

Image result for bon voyage meme

rojaan19  thank you for your best wishes. We are about to leave Australia and in 2 weeks board the Eclipse. I'm certainly looking forward to experiencing such a new ship. Currently its in Malta, so should soon be heading up to Iceland, as that will take almost the 2 weeks from where it is.

I'll certainly try and post here while onboard.

I note that she’s left Valletta in Malta and is now heading for Gibraltar.  I use an application named Ship finder it’s not free, though they may have a “lite” version.  It was cheap and gives a great deal of detail including call sign, registered destination etc.  We’re not due on board until next month so want to get excited but still a little nervous.  No pictures of the suites yet.  They may have trades on board making final “adjustments “???

I note that she’s left Valletta in Malta and is now heading for Gibraltar.  I use an application named Ship finder it’s not free, though they may have a “lite” version.  It was cheap and gives a great deal of detail including call sign, registered destination etc.  We’re not due on board until next month so want to get excited but still a little nervous.  No pictures of the suites yet.  They may have trades on board making final “adjustments “???

The application says that she’s due to dock in Gibraltar at 05:40 on August 4th.  Could she be taking on more crew?

In our experience with other luxury cruise lines it is quite often the case that when they leave dry dock and reposition themselves to take on passengers for the first cruise after dry dock they have trades on board doing last-minute work. It may be something as simple as painting or installing new flooring or checking to make sure that the hot water faucet’s produce hot water in the cold water faucets produce cold water. This is very common. In fact if you look carefully at the most recent videos from scenic you can see when they plan to the r in our experience with other luxury cruise lines it is quite often the case that when they leave dry dock and reposition themselves to take on passengers for the first cruise after drydock they have trades on board doing last-minute work. It may be something as simple as painting or installing new flooring or checking to make sure that the hot water faucets produce hot water in the cold water faucets produce cold water. This is very common. In fact if you look carefully at the most recent videos from scenic you can see when they plan to the  aft of the ship red tool boxes used by mechanics and carpenters and all sorts of containers. The fact of the matter is that the days at sea are the best days for work to be accomplished because there are no passengers on board and the Crouzon board can work in different shifts around the clock. 

5 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

The application says that she’s due to dock in Gibraltar at 05:40 on August 4th.  Could she be taking on more crew?

Just now, RockyandMoose said:

In our experience with other luxury cruise lines it is quite often the case that when they leave dry dock and reposition themselves to take on passengers for the first cruise after dry dock they have trades on board doing last-minute work. It may be something as simple as painting or installing new flooring or checking to make sure that the hot water faucet’s produce hot water in the cold water faucets produce cold water. This is very common. In fact if you look carefully at the most recent videos from scenic you can see when they plan to the r in our experience with other luxury cruise lines it is quite often the case that when they leave dry dock and reposition themselves to take on passengers for the first cruise after drydock they have trades on board doing last-minute work. It may be something as simple as painting or installing new flooring or checking to make sure that the hot water faucets produce hot water in the cold water faucets produce cold water. This is very common. In fact if you look carefully at the most recent videos from scenic you can see when they plan to the  aft of the ship red tool boxes used by mechanics and carpenters and all sorts of containers. The fact of the matter is that the days at sea are the best days for work to be accomplished because there are no passengers on board and the personnel onboard can work in different shifts around the clock.    Also I am sure that they have to stock provisions and as they move further north it would not surprise me if they stop somewhere in the UK to load on supplies, food and the like and to offload some of the workers. 

13 hours ago, goorawin said:

rojaan19  thank you for your best wishes. We are about to leave Australia and in 2 weeks board the Eclipse. I'm certainly looking forward to experiencing such a new ship. Currently its in Malta, so should soon be heading up to Iceland, as that will take almost the 2 weeks from where it is.

I'll certainly try and post here while onboard.

If we might impose it would be very helpful if you could let all of us out here who will be sailing on her in the next few months know what the situation is with the following couple of items: How is computer connectivity to the Internet and is Internet service adequate throughout the ship including the state rooms and also the common areas? Is scenic allowing passengers to bring on one suitcase and also a roll-on or carry-on bag as one might bring on an airplane and stow in the storage bins over your seats when flying or are they strictly enforcing the one small bag/backpack and 150 pound suitcase rule?   Also are there United States electrical sockets in the rooms or is all the electrical service European plugs? Finally is the ambient temperature in the common area is hot, cold or cool or warm? Some ships keep the common area so hot that it becomes unpleasant. Others keep them like refrigerators. If you could find out what the ideal setting for temperature is we would all be grateful and it would help us more efficiently pack for our September cruise.   Last but not least, and we don’t mean to turn your trip into an investigative process, could you let us know the brand name of the products that they are using in the bathrooms such as soap, shampoo, conditioner and the like? Is there an offering of unscented products or are they using a product with a particular sent such as musk?   Thanks in advance for answering any questions in the selection above that you can. We have tried to get some of this information from our travel agent but no one at the corporate offices seems to know these intimate details or if they do it hasn’t trickle down to the people who interface with our agents. Wishing you a wonderful inaugural cruise. We imagine that it was be spectacular! And thank you. 

1 minute ago, RockyandMoose said: