Opinions? What to do in FL in a week?

Of course if you have never been to DisneyWorld it is a fun place. I would say Key West is about an 8 hr. drive from Orlando area. It is ok there, I don't know if I'd take the time to go all the way down there, I'm sure you'll get people who say no Key West is a great place. We've been there by car and by cruise, other than a bit of shopping and Sloppy Joes Bar I just didn't see much else there. The beaches are not that nice, can find much nicer ones thru out Fl and the islands. You can visit Kennedy Space center, they have tours. i could fill up an entire week just going to Disney :) But of course there is also Seaworld and Universal in the Orlando area. Then you have Busch Gardens in Tampa. There are tons of interesting towns down the east coast, Daytona Beach, St. Augustine. Depends on who is travelling and what you are interested in.

Lived in Vero Beach for 8 years before moving back to Texas.....

From Orlando it would be @ 6-1/2 hrs to Key West if you drive straight thu.... but why not SEE Florida ???

My advice would be to pick one coast or the other and work your way down...say the East coast.

Day 1: From Orlando head over to St. Augustine-it is really neat (skip Jacksonville - yuk). Day 2:Drive to Daytona (head down A1A) then Kennedy Space Center. Day 3: head down I-95... Be sure to check out Palm Beach !!! Day 4: After that I would get on the turnpike and skeedaddle on down to the Keys....(or check out South Beach in Miami - kinda pricey) but from W. Palm only 4 hrs max to Key West if you just drive - you will enjoy the view ! Stay at least 1 whole day and night in Key West (be sure to see the sunset celebration at Mallory Square) then head back up to Orlando and you have pretty much eaten up a week with maybe one day to spare.

I would hang out in Orlando the few days after your cruise. But that would just be my personal preference. Of course it depends on the dates you will be there.....Orlando sights (ie. Disney etc.) are MUCH BETTER DURING THE WEEK THAN ON WEEKENDS.

Have a great time whatever you decide....:D

If you've got the moulah to spend, check out Discovery Cove:

www.discoverycove.com

Its like going to a private island for a day. They're known for their dolphin experience, but I say skip that, and enjoy the Stingray pond. Unlike the stingray excursions at some ports, you can hang out with the Rays all day long if you want. Great snorkeling, lazy river, bird aviary, free Sea World passes......i love this place!

Fort Pennekamp gets my vote - great for snorkling, hanging out on the water, enivronmental stuff. It's on Key Largo.

There's also some cool places on the east coast north of Cnaveral - a neat place to watch the manatees in the wild, a great lighthouse (Ponce de Leon), and Dayton Beach is fun too.

From which port are you leaving?

IMHO, having been born and raised in Florida and lived 30+ years here, I would say that if you want to see the beauty of the keys, go to Islamorada, Key Largo or Marathon. Great diving, much better and prettier than Key West and about a 2 hour shorter trip. You can go to Sloppy Joe's in FLL along the strip which is a great deal of fun. Kennedy Space Center is a wonderful place to visit.

It would help to know what you like to do, if it's just you and a SO, or a family. Also, how soon are you travelling. Miami & Ft Lauderdale are still trying to rebound from Wilma. A lot of places are just getting power back. If you're talking a month or so, you should be fine.

Archived