How to get from Orlando to Miami?

cbowls30

Hi

We are staying in Orlando the week before our cruise in escape from Miami, after ideas for the best way to get down to Miami the night before the cruise.... We are hiring a car in Orlando but didn't really want to pay the extra one way fee down to Miami to drop off (we are flying back to the uk from Miami)does anyone know any decent transfer companies we could use?

Most rental car agencies in FL don't charge a drop off fee from my experience. I'd check rental cars from Orlando Airport and check the rates. I've found Alamo is usually reasonable and they don't gouge you for the toll responder. I see you are from the UK so I don't know if this will work for you but I usually rent via either AAA or Costco for good rates.

Just did this. Jet Set Express is a bus service that will go from Orlando to Miami and back We got the 7 AM and dropped us at port by 11:30. Cost $60 for 2, cheaper than renting a car. Full sized bus with BR and wifi Would definitely reccommend

I've booked a car rental from Orlando to Miami for my upcoming cruise (as I'm visiting my sister in Orlando a few days beforehand). It was $126 CAD for a 24 hr booking with Avis, and there were no one way fees. I'm looking forward to the drive because we're going to do an Everglades tour on the way!

We had a few days in Orlando last year before sailing from Miami.

Cost wise, using a hire car was by a mile the best option. No extra fees for dropping off at a different location., and a nice easy drive, as well as having a car for the extra day in Miami.

By far the best option in my opinion.

Have done this drive multiple times with no problems. Arranged our car through Costco Travel. I believe the daily rate was $29 US for a mid-size car.

Dropped the car at the rental place in Miami and they had a shuttle to the port.

Drive was easy and was around 3 hours. No drop off charges. My understanding is that there are no drop-off charges interstate in Fla.

For us, driving is far more enjoyable than traveling by bus.

Just an FYI about Costo Travel. Keep checking their prices they change all the time. One day a mid-size is $50 and the next day you could a similar car offered from another agency for lots less.

Have done this drive multiple times with no problems. Arranged our car through Costco Travel. I believe the daily rate was $29 US for a mid-size car.

Dropped the car at the rental place in Miami and they had a shuttle to the port.

Drive was easy and was around 3 hours. No drop off charges. My understanding is that there are no drop-off charges interstate in Fla.

For us, driving is far more enjoyable than traveling by bus.

We did the same from Orlando to MIA with National (also owns Alamo) and then took their large free bus to the port. We took their bus back to MIA at the end of the cruise and picked up a car for a day around Miami and then later back to FLL for our flight out.

No excessive drop off charge either time. We did have to show the driver our reservation to get on the bus at the port ... I guess they have people trying to cheat and get a free ride to MIA!

You can calculate tolls using this calculator:

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TollCalcV5/index.htm

Currently $14.22 but don't think that includes some tolls on the final short portion of I-95. Too many tolls are cashless so don't bother with cash if you make the long trip on the Turnpike. In fact, as an example, they purposely make it difficult to maneuver out of Miami Airport without hitting a cashless toll.

Also, check your rental car fees:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Alamo/National/Enterprise charges $3.95 for only the day(s) you use it while Avis/Budget charges $3.95 per day for the entire rental, up to $16.75. Don't even bother with Dollar or Thrifty at $10.49 or $52 per week.

The Miami Airport Rental Car has a free 15 minute shuttle to / from the port for National, Alamo and Enterprise customers. I think Dollar/Thrifty also have a shuttle to / from the port. They will want proof of rental particularly when picking up from the cruise.

Budget, Avis and Hertz have locations 5 minutes from the cruise port with shuttles but they tend to be extremely busy. Make sure you choose a location that has Shuttle in the name.

Thanks all for the info, I think we will probably hire a car, drive from Orlando the day before, drop the car at Miami airport and then stay overnight, get a shuttle to the port next day... Thanks all

If your going to drive, Go to the Florida Keys.

One hour south of Miami. :)

Thanks all for the info, I think we will probably hire a car, drive from Orlando the day before, drop the car at Miami airport and then stay overnight, get a shuttle to the port next day... Thanks all

Probably the best thing to do is hire that car. We hire cars in Florida often. There has never been a one way trip or mileage charge for one way travel if you stay within Florida.

Just for grins check out http://www.redcoachusa.com

It' a premium travel coach but the fares are way higher than hiring a car.

Fares between Orlando and Downtown Miami are between $54 and $81 PP, and it takes 5.5hrs of travel. I want to say it is almost cheaper to fly if you can get no luggage fees. But the bus has really, really, confy seats and you get other amenities such as free wifi.

Will you be in the Escape this Saturday? We are, we'll see you there.

Cheers.

Really????

Because when I looked it said 3+ hours

For the Florida Keys you can drive from MIA about 22 miles to Key Largo. We went on to Islamorada (going over part of the scenic bridges you see on TV) ... I think it takes about an hour and a half to do from MIA. The Keys stretch about 160 miles to the south of Miami, but you can quickly drive down and see part of them.

We did this a few years back and really enjoyed the drive.

We are also doing this but were planning on flying between them as we really don't want to drive it (we aren't driving the rest of the trip, and it would be the first time ever driving in the US so kind of stressy).

However I'll have a look at the Jet Set Express as that seems cheaper than flying!

Flying in the US is a pretty miserable experience depending on the security lines at the time. You have to be at the airport at least an hour before your flight (sometimes two), and it can take 30 - 45 minutes for your checked baggage to show up on the other end. It can take longer to fly than drive.

I understand if you don't want to drive on the wrong side of the road, though! I've never driven in Europe where they drive on the left for that very reason!