What Travel Insurance Plan did you buy and why?

Shirleybird

I didn't buy a policy to cover the cruise price for our next one, but will buy a medical policy before we leave through Geoblue (blue cross blue shield) so if anything happens I won't have to pay our high insurance deductible for medical treatment. On our April cruise I bought cancel for any reason insurance through a company affiliated with USAA, can't remember the name, would have to check my email. Was a lot cheaper than Carnival with better coverage.

Also went thru USAA...they don't carry this type of insurance but partner with other companies to provide this coverage for their members. In my case they sent me to Travel Insured International. Bought a Cancel-for-any-reason policy because we're cruising in hurricane season and I'm still in the military (leave can always be canceled).

I compare policies on InsureMyTrip.com. I always look for a policy with generous coverage for medical issues so that I can be medevac'd if necessary. (We're talking $50,000+). Depending on the health of my family or my traveling companion's family, I purchase insurance soon after booking to take advantage of the pre-existing condition waiver. And, I like a policy that pays 150% rather than just 100% for an interrupted trip (because getting home can be expensive).

DH needs to have pre-existing condition coverage so we buy insurance thru "Travel Insured" on the advise of our jewel of a TA.

His coverage is more expensive than mine and we're billed accordingly. We get it because if you have a medical issue that requires hospitalization of even worse air evacuation back to the USA the bills could be devestating. Medicare does not pay for any issues outside the USA.

We have used it once when he had a health issue. We got all of our $$ paid out for the cruise back including the deposit. We were pleased.

We buy a year long multi trip medical insurance/evacuation plan from Geo Blue.

Our health coverage does include emergency care world wide but only up to a certain amount and no evacuation/transport to nearest good hospital sort of coverage so we buy extra for that.

We have trip cancellation coverage from our credit card so I don't pay extra for more of that same sort of coverage.

I compare policies on InsureMyTrip.com. I always look for a policy with generous coverage for medical issues so that I can be medevac'd if necessary. (We're talking $50,000+). Depending on the health of my family or my traveling companion's family, I purchase insurance soon after booking to take advantage of the pre-existing condition waiver. And, I like a policy that pays 150% rather than just 100% for an interrupted trip (because getting home can be expensive).

Well that is primarily what I am looking at. Last March I tripped over my own two feet and broke my ankle in my friends front yard walking to my car. So if an accident like that can happen here it can happen anywhere.

I thought I had my mind made up on a plan from "Travel Safe" but while I was waiting on comments from my fellow Cruise Critic members input I did a google search on reviews for Travel Safe and they are getting bashed big time. Back to the drawing board I guess?

Edited by Shirleybird

I get GEOBLUE Travel medical insurance. I don't get trip insurance, The way I look at it, if something goes bad and I can't cruise I can take a $2 to $3k hit, if I need medical in a foreign country I can't take a $50 to $60 K hit.

There are so many similar policies, so do a side by side comparison to make sure that you get what you need. For us, we make sure we get a policy that covers pre-existing conditions. It also has to have good med-evac coverage. Some policies offer primary medical coverage and others offer secondary. The main thing with medical that I look for is one that will let me pick a hospital anywhere in the US instead of just the closest hospital.

I may be the minority but I buy the carnival insurance. I like that they cover "involuntary termination". My husband is a contractor and the contract often changes hands. In fact it's getting ready to on oct 1st and we didn't know until after I booked the cruise we have next month. Luckily we worked it out with his new company but I was comforted in the fact that if we HAD to cancel I would only lose what I paid for insurance (about $150). I have insurance through my credit card too but they don't cover losing your job as a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I compare plans on InsureMyTrip.com and usually opt for "cancel for any reason" coverage, which you have to get shortly after you book/pay.

Since I usually drive down to FL for cruises, I like policies that cover delays by road as well as common-carrier delays.

i go with travel guard gold plan. with this plan my kids are insured for free.

Same here. The rates are reasonable and if booked within 14 days, they do cancel for any reason. Plus, back in January when we had to cancel and were booked ES, we lost $100 (we knew we were rebooking so didn't worry about the rest). I filled out a very quick questionnaire and had the $ back in just a couple days. They're always very friendly and helpful

There are so many similar policies, so do a side by side comparison to make sure that you get what you need. For us, we make sure we get a policy that covers pre-existing conditions. It also has to have good med-evac coverage. Some policies offer primary medical coverage and others offer secondary. The main thing with medical that I look for is one that will let me pick a hospital anywhere in the US instead of just the closest hospital.

For years we have buying a full coverage plan, mainly from GSA. There is a website, insuremytrip.com, that enables one to compare coverage from many different companies.

During all this time I never took a close look at the benefit materials included with my United Airlines MasterCard. Turns out we get almost the exact travel insurance coverage from the card as with a full plan from one of the travel insurance companies. In a couple of cases (individual line item e.g. baggage delay), the MasterCard coverage was greater than a full coverage plan. In other cases the travel plan was slightly better.

The only area where there was no coverage included with the card was emergency evacuation. After doing some research I was able to purchase just this single element for $138 ($5,200 total trip cost).

We were paying from $375 to $500 depending on trip length. We cruise twice a year so this expense really added up.

Well that is primarily what I am looking at. Last March I tripped over my own two feet and broke my ankle in my friends front yard walking to my car. So if an accident like that can happen here it can happen anywhere.

I thought I had my mind made up on a plan from "Travel Safe" but while I was waiting on comments from my fellow Cruise Critic members input I did a google search on reviews for Travel Safe and they are getting bashed big time. Back to the drawing board I guess?

=======================

There are 2 main types of coverages to research for needs:

1. Cruise cancellation

Price will vary depending on cruise price and how far from departure you are.

If there is risk of you not going in this time period /cancelling and losing your deposit/full payment is impactful to your finances--get the CFAR.

2. IN TRIP coverages

This coverages are once you depart--interruption, medical/dental, delays, lost baggage. They are requisite for any traveler bec 1 incident could cost you $10,000s.

If you shop on the comparison sites for coverages & price comparisons, but book directly with the insurance provider because if you have a claim you will be dealing with the provider directly--better service. CSA comes up on insuremytrip with solid coverages and low pricing. http://www.csatravelprotection.com has simple plans and explanations. We have used CSA and they paid our claim.

Same here. The rates are reasonable and if booked within 14 days, they do cancel for any reason. Plus, back in January when we had to cancel and were booked ES, we lost $100 (we knew we were rebooking so didn't worry about the rest). I filled out a very quick questionnaire and had the $ back in just a couple days. They're always very friendly and helpful

Is that booked within 14 days after booking the cruise or is it booked within 14 days of when the cruise begins?

Is that booked within 14 days after booking the cruise or is it booked within 14 days of when the cruise begins?

I think the usual rule for cancel-for-any-reason insurance is "within 14 days after first payment is made," and since you're making a deposit when you book, it is effectively 14 days from the date the cruise is first booked.

My advice to the OP (having spent over thirty years in the Medical Insurance industry) is do not try to copy others....but simply assess your own needs and wants as to cancellation coverage and medical insurance. We, for example, travel out of the country about 7 months a year (on cruises and extended land trips) and never purchase any cancellation insurance. The reason is that we have a high "risk tolerance" and if we had to cancel a trip (which has never happened) would simply eat the cost (we would have spent the money anyway). Over the years we figure that we are ahead by far more then $100,000 (the money we saved by not buying cancellation insurance). On the other hand, we do purchase an Annual Travel Medical Policy that is quite inexpensive and provides $250,000 of Medical coverage (far in excess of the ridiculous $10,000 offered by many trip insurance policies).

But what works for us many not work for you (or anyone else). There are some folks that need a good "cancel for any reason" policy because of work demands. Others need to make sure they get medical coverage that includes pre-existing conditions...because they have medical issues. So, ask yourself what do you need and what would make you comfortable...and then look for the product that meets your specific needs.

Hank

My advice to the OP (having spent over thirty years in the Medical Insurance industry) is do not try to copy others....but simply assess your own needs and wants as to cancellation coverage and medical insurance. We, for example, travel out of the country about 7 months a year (on cruises and extended land trips) and never purchase any cancellation insurance. The reason is that we have a high "risk tolerance" and if we had to cancel a trip (which has never happened) would simply eat the cost (we would have spent the money anyway). Over the years we figure that we are ahead by far more then $100,000 (the money we saved by not buying cancellation insurance). On the other hand, we do purchase an Annual Travel Medical Policy that is quite inexpensive and provides $250,000 of Medical coverage (far in excess of the ridiculous $10,000 offered by many trip insurance policies).

But what works for us many not work for you (or anyone else). There are some folks that need a good "cancel for any reason" policy because of work demands. Others need to make sure they get medical coverage that includes pre-existing conditions...because they have medical issues. So, ask yourself what do you need and what would make you comfortable...and then look for the product that meets your specific needs.

Hank

Didn't you post this earlier this year?

Didn't you post this earlier this year?

Yep,,, which means I consistently tell the truth :). But many posters here do not even know how to use the Search options so being repetitive is helpful. Most of our posts are on the European boards...and the regular posters often have to post the same stuff every few weeks...since the folks asking the questions never bother to look back.

Hank

Yep,,, which means I consistently tell the truth :). But many posters here do not even know how to use the Search options so being repetitive is helpful. Most of our posts are on the European boards...and the regular posters often have to post the same stuff every few weeks...since the folks asking the questions never bother to look back.

Hank

I'm glad that you posted your response again. It is the most helpful advice I have read on Cruise Critic. You will have saved me almost $2,500 per year by going with an annual plan instead of regular travel insurance. Thank-you.

• 4 weeks later...