Insurance question

rednecksgirl

Leave 10/22 for Western Caribbean. Just found out Son and DIL are 7 weeks pregnant. I don't have trip insurance but can still take it. Because of Zika in GC and Jamaica im pretty sure her dr will tell her not to go. Talked to VP and he said I'm going to lose at least my $500 deposit and he might be able to help if she gets letter from dr. Question is...I've never done the insurance, would it get me back more of my $

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

In general you only have a few days after buying the trip to buy insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

So because she is already pregnant now, buying the insurance (unless you just bought the cruise this week) most likely won't cover her cancelling and you would just be wasting money.

I would be very surprised if you found a policy that would retroactively cover something like this. Otherwise there would be too many cases of people waiting until they have to cancel to buy the insurance which would make the claim ratio way to high for the company to stay in business.

I'd go the Dr note route and throw yourself on the mercy of the court so to speak. You might get lucky and the person making the decision might grant you some leeway even though they are not required to.

Leave 10/22 for Western Caribbean. Just found out Son and DIL are 7 weeks pregnant. I don't have trip insurance but can still take it. Because of Zika in GC and Jamaica im pretty sure her dr will tell her not to go. Talked to VP and he said I'm going to lose at least my $500 deposit and he might be able to help if she gets letter from dr. Question is...I've never done the insurance, would it get me back more of my $

Insurance is for what might happen, not for what has happened.

Just like you can't drive around without insurance to save money, but when you have an accident, get insurance after the accident to cover the loss.

It doesn't work that way.

when we had to cancel due to medical reasons Carnival didn't penalize us but didn't refund the deposit They put deposit in escrow type account if we book another cruise in 2 years the deposit would be applied. less $50 loss. hope you can do that. Doesn't hurt to ask. Zika is scary if I were in that age bracket I would never cruise the Caribbean.

when we had to cancel due to medical reasons Carnival didn't penalize us but didn't refund the deposit They put deposit in escrow type account if we book another cruise in 2 years the deposit would be applied. less $50 loss. hope you can do that. Doesn't hurt to ask. Zika is scary if I were in that age bracket I would never cruise the Caribbean.

What you are descibing are the same exact rules they use for early saver bookings. Did you cancel before or after final payment date?

Bill

you have to read the fine print. most vacation trip insurance do not cover cancellation for pregnancy. we ran into this problem when my wife was pregnant and had a trip planned for a beach resort. the doctor said she should not go so we didn't and then found out the insurance would not cover it for pregnancy.

Edited by splintz

You should go above your VP head. There was another thread about the same thing in July and they got a partial refund and the rest was held for them to use at a later date. They were a few weeks from sailing date.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376437&highlight=zika

Good Luck

Bill

Insurance is for what might happen, not for what has happened.

Just like you can't drive around without insurance to save money, but when you have an accident, get insurance after the accident to cover the loss.

It doesn't work that way.

I'm not stupid, I know that.

I'm fine with future cruise credit or obc.

What you are descibing are the same exact rules they use for early saver bookings. Did you cancel before or after final payment date?

Bill

Haven't cancelled yet. Pd in full in April, cruise in Oct, just found out about pregnancy waiting on Dr advise/letter so I can turn it in and see what happens

You should go above your VP head. There was another thread about the same thing in July and they got a partial refund and the rest was held for them to use at a later date. They were a few weeks from sailing date.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376437&highlight=zika

Good Luck

Bill

Thank you. I will use this

You can buy trip insurance any time before you walk out the door for your trip.

Of course it won't cover pre existing illnesses or medical problems.

Bill

I think the fine line is its not the pregnancy preventing her from going, it's the CDC Zika virus warnings because she's pregnant.

Oh yes that's the plan just hoping to not lose it all if posdible

My experience and reading about this subject is if you are allowed to cancel and get a credit for a future sailing, this will only be offered to the pregnant party and their spouse (or SO). It isn't offered to other family members who are traveling with them.

I lost $700 this year for this reason, and this isn't covered by any travel insurance policy. Pregnancy is not an illness. She doesn't have Zika. Buying insurance won't help you.

Edited by 6rugrats

My experience and reading about this subject is if you are allowed to cancel and get a credit for a future sailing, this will only be offered to the pregnant party and their spouse (or SO). It isn't offered to other family members who are traveling with them.

I lost $700 this year for this reason, and this isn't covered by any travel insurance policy. Pregnancy is not an illness. She doesn't have Zika. Buying insurance won't help you.

I can understand that since you weren't the pregnant person or person trying to get pregnant. I am sure you were very much looking forward to the cruise with everyone but if the pregnant couple can't go there is no reason the rest of the group couldn't go. In the eyes of the insurance company anyway.

Bill

I can understand that since you weren't the pregnant person or person trying to get pregnant. I am sure you were very much looking forward to the cruise with everyone but if the pregnant couple can't go there is no reason the rest of the group couldn't go. In the eyes of the insurance company anyway.

Bill

Yep, the rest of us are going, my son and DIL are the only ones not going

you have to read the fine print. most vacation trip insurance do not cover cancellation for pregnancy. we ran into this problem when my wife was pregnant and had a trip planned for a beach resort. the doctor said she should not go so we didn't and then found out the insurance would not cover it for pregnancy.

If your dr said she couldn't go there must have been a reason

Did he/she say don't go because of a pregnancy complication?

Or because of the risk from Zika?

The first is covered under insurance if you bought the policy before having knowledge of the pregnancy and might even cover if you did have knowledge but there were complications that arose after buying the policy

Sent from my iPad using Forums