WiFi on board

danielundecided

Now that really is making me jealous Happy_Girl ! I have complained to P&O about the fact they seem to be slipping behind in the wifi competitive stakes. They have said they are re-looking at the new scheme, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on the Ventura in January to the Caribbean. Once we get to the islands I would like to upload a couple of photo's each day to a face book page. What is the best way to do this apart from free wifi ashore.

Thanks

I am on the Ventura in January to the Caribbean. Once we get to the islands I would like to upload a couple of photo's each day to a face book page. What is the best way to do this apart from free wifi ashore.

Thanks

The £12.95 option lets you do that.

Thanks

I understand that the cheapest package at £7.50 per 24 hours will allow you to do that, as that gives access to Social Media. However I've not tried out any of these options, as we've not been onboard since the introduction of the new packages. I believe that the option of purchasing minutes has been re-introduced, although at a relatively high price of 65p per minute.

Assuming you're on N702, why not come and join the roll call for this cruise which you can find here http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2333942

I understand that the cheapest package at £7.50 per 24 hours will allow you to do that, as that gives access to Social Media. However I've not tried out any of these options, as we've not been onboard since the introduction of the new packages. I believe that the option of purchasing minutes has been re-introduced, although at a relatively high price of 65p per minute.

Assuming you're on N702, why not come and join the roll call for this cruise which you can find here http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2333942

The 65p a minute option wasn't available on my cruise last week on Britannia, just the £7, £12 and £24 offerings.

If you try the £7 option and find it doesn't do what you want you can upgrade to the next tier for the difference.

Although I don't use wifi on board and rely on free wifi in ports or bars where you can have a coffee and log on, what is the use of the £7.50 package if you can't send an email?

I'm assuming it's for people who want to update social media and keep in the loop as much as possible while they're away.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I need to stay in touch for business reasons so I am prepared to pay the package, however when I called to try and pre-book an internet package I was told I could only do so once I was on board. Apparently I have to register and then I will be charged in 24 hour increments every time I activate a new 24 hour period online. The periods also run from 24 hours from the moment you first use the internet so if you start one day at 8am you will have access until 8am the following day. However if you don't then log on again until say 6pm your next 24 hours will only start from then. This may not mean you are paying the full cost every day....

Not strictly true.

If its any help you can purchase a full cruise plan amongst the options offered once you have 'Registered'.

What is the most common package - The £12.50 Browser Package - can be purchased for the length of the cruise at the equivalent price of £10.00 a day.

Not strictly true.

If its any help you can purchase a full cruise plan amongst the options offered once you have 'Registered'.

What is the most common package - The £12.50 Browser Package - can be purchased for the length of the cruise at the equivalent price of £10.00 a day.

That's new then as we were charged £175 for the whole cruise access on the day we arrived and registered. That's the full £12.50 per day...

That's new then as we were charged £175 for the whole cruise access on the day we arrived and registered. That's the full £12.50 per day...

I think if you book say 4pm to 4pm every other day you only need to book half the days and have some coverage everyday.

I can't see that on the options on my personaliser, how did you get this?

Keith (Southend)

This bit I meant to add:

<snip>

<snip>

There was no discount for buying Wi-Fi for the whole cruise when I was on in December, it was £12.50 x 14. I ended up buying 9 lots of £12.50 over 14 days and I am quite a heavy user of the onboard internet.

There was no discount for buying Wi-Fi for the whole cruise when I was on in December, it was £12.50 x 14. I ended up buying 9 lots of £12.50 over 14 days and I am quite a heavy user of the onboard internet.

I agree. There is no discount. It's £12.50 per day full stop.

That said I paid it as I needed constant access and it was OK - kind of like the old days before broadband!

Thanks for your replies, although I could go and seek out WiFi on shore, to be honest, I'd rather use the time exploring the islands. I lead a busy life at home so find I have a lot of spare time on board even when I use the pools, gym, see a show every night and use the main restaurants.

Can't wait for that warm sunshine as I have had one cold after the other since mid December and I think the vitamin D is what I desire.:)

Keith (Southend)

Thanks for your replies, although I could go and seek out WiFi on shore, to be honest, I'd rather use the time exploring the islands. I lead a busy life at home so find I have a lot of spare time on board even when I use the pools, gym, see a show every night and use the main restaurants.

Can't wait for that warm sunshine as I have had one cold after the other since mid December and I think the vitamin D is what I desire.:)

Keith (Southend)

Exactly.

In comparison with what we paid for the holiday £175 was nothing and it really made a difference to our enjoyment of the whole experience. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't pay it. Otherwise just get over it!

It is an improvment I think as you don't have to look at the clock, which, if the connection drops out, as it does sometimes, it doesn't really matter.

Just a thought, could you run say your Netbook and also your phone, for WhatsApp, messenger (txt). Not at the same time necessarily.

Keith (Southend)

It is an improvment I think as you don't have to look at the clock, which, if the connection drops out, as it does sometimes, it doesn't really matter.

Just a thought, could you run say your Netbook and also your phone, for WhatsApp, messenger (txt). Not at the same time necessarily.

Keith (Southend)

Yes you can but not at the same time.

That may well be so and therefore P&O should be given some credit.

To be fair to P&O, as ours was a 14 night cruise it is 16 days on the ship so it probably does add up but you would need to buy it the second you got on the ship to get any benefit.