Barbados private tour operator suggestions

pokerpro5

Interested in perhaps hiring a private tour guide for 4 hours in Barbados.

Tried contacting Glory Tours through their form (as it was reasonably priced), but they want payment in advance. No way. That's a dealbreaker.

Tyrone offered me a price which is too high, though I think he believed I was asking about a full day. I asked him to quote me 4 hours, and I'll see if that's any better.

Looking for a private tour (family of 4) which is reasonably priced (and NOT per person), and where we select what to do.

Please post any suggestions here. Thanks.

Interested in perhaps hiring a private tour guide for 4 hours in Barbados.

Tried contacting Glory Tours through their form (as it was reasonably priced), but they want payment in advance. No way. That's a dealbreaker.

Tyrone offered me a price which is too high, though I think he believed I was asking about a full day. I asked him to quote me 4 hours, and I'll see if that's any better.

Looking for a private tour (family of 4) which is reasonably priced (and NOT per person), and where we select what to do.

Please post any suggestions here. Thanks.

We recently did a tour with Glory Tours...absolutely no problems pre-paying for this...any reason why you're so opposed to this ?

We recently did a tour with Glory Tours...absolutely no problems pre-paying for this...any reason why you're so opposed to this ?

Yes, because it's nonstandard. Most independent tours let you pay when you show up.

What if they no-show?

What if they decide to rescind it being a "private" tour and stuff other people in the van with me? (I had this happen in 2013 in Belize, but fortunately I hadn't paid yet!)

What if the weather is terrible and we decide not to go?

What if one of us gets sick, and we decide not to go?

I don't see a point to use an outfit where I have to prepay where so many others let you pay when you show up.

In fact, I would rather just grab a tour operator at the port and pay at that point than prepay for a tour in advance.

It is also very difficult to charge back foreign charges on your credit card. They basically don't get involved except in cases of outright fraud (that is, where someone makes a charge you never authorized in the first place).

Anyway, those are my reasons. Glad Glory Tours worked out for you, but there's no chance I'm prepaying them.

Any other suggestions for Barbados private tours?

Yes, because it's nonstandard. Most independent tours let you pay when you show up.

What if they no-show?

What if they decide to rescind it being a "private" tour and stuff other people in the van with me? (I had this happen in 2013 in Belize, but fortunately I hadn't paid yet!)

What if the weather is terrible and we decide not to go?

What if one of us gets sick, and we decide not to go?

I don't see a point to use an outfit where I have to prepay where so many others let you pay when you show up.

In fact, I would rather just grab a tour operator at the port and pay at that point than prepay for a tour in advance.

It is also very difficult to charge back foreign charges on your credit card. They basically don't get involved except in cases of outright fraud (that is, where someone makes a charge you never authorized in the first place).

Anyway, those are my reasons. Glad Glory Tours worked out for you, but there's no chance I'm prepaying them.

Any other suggestions for Barbados private tours?

Yikes :eek:....Life is full of "What If's"...Sorry I even asked you now...so please disregard :rolleyes:

Why are you getting snippy with me?

You asked why I don't like prepaid tours, and I explained it.

I have been doing independent tours at cruise ports since the mid-1990s. Almost none of them have ever demanded payment in advance. The few that do are the ones I avoid, for the reasons stated above.

You might have a different personal policy in regards to this, but there's no reason to denigrate me for my choices in the matter.

If a tour operator that was prepaid did what you are saying could happen, they wouldn't be in business long, especially with social media and travel sites.

If they didn't show up, or changed to public tour, it would only take a few days for the "don't do business with this company" posts to appear and they would be called out.

And I think your "what if we get sick and don't want to go" is exactly why they want payment in advance!

If a tour operator that was prepaid did what you are saying could happen, they wouldn't be in business long, especially with social media and travel sites.

If they didn't show up, or changed to public tour, it would only take a few days for the "don't do business with this company" posts to appear and they would be called out.

And I think your "what if we get sick and don't want to go" is exactly why they want payment in advance!

If that were the standard operating procedure with these tours, I would understand. For example, I paid for my tickets to Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel in advance, knowing that perhaps I'd regret it due to illness or weather (it turned out fine, though).

However, I've been taking these independent day tours since the 1990s, and the standard procedure involves paying when you show up, with no form of deposit or guarantee beforehand. This is a nice feature of such tours, as it's stress-free to reserve one, and costs you nothing if you change your mind for any reason.

Given that pretty much every other tour operator functions this way, why would I ever want to lock myself into a nonrefundable prepayment situation? Because I hate money?

That's why I am asking for something other than Glory Tours.

Edited by pokerpro5

Pokerpro,

I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to prepay for something either so you're not locked into it. Best thing to do is just hire a cab, do your homework on what you want to see and do and just tell the cab driver you want to go to X, Y and Z. Ask him/her the price then off you go. I was there about 20 years ago, had a rented villa and rental car. So my info isn't all that current but Harrison's Cave was interesting, they give you a hard hat and you see it by tramway. Another cave is Animal Flower cave, there's a pool you can swim in. If you like snorkeling there's some cool shipwrecks, one we snorkeled but was in pretty deep water, good visibility but not for beginners. There may be others with easier access. We also played golf at Sandy Lane, was like golfing on a plush carpet.

We were in Barbados in March and used James Tours and I recommend him very highly. We had 6 couples and James had two cars/vans so it was almost like a private tour. he is a great guide and tries to accommodate everyone's wishes.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147263-d2202816-r190613254-Barbados_Excursions_Catamaran_Turtle_Snorkeling_Tour-Bridgetown_Saint_Michael_Pa.html

We toured the island, had rum punches, feed the monkeys, saw the cliffs and he showed us all Barbados had to offer. he dropped several off at a beach, left them some beer and water and came back to pick them up when they wanted.

You can't go wrong here.

Cheers

Len

Pokerpro,

I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to prepay for something either so you're not locked into it. Best thing to do is just hire a cab, do your homework on what you want to see and do and just tell the cab driver you want to go to X, Y and Z. Ask him/her the price then off you go. I was there about 20 years ago, had a rented villa and rental car. So my info isn't all that current but Harrison's Cave was interesting, they give you a hard hat and you see it by tramway. Another cave is Animal Flower cave, there's a pool you can swim in. If you like snorkeling there's some cool shipwrecks, one we snorkeled but was in pretty deep water, good visibility but not for beginners. There may be others with easier access. We also played golf at Sandy Lane, was like golfing on a plush carpet.

Hard Hat for Harrison's Cave...must have been on a different tour this past May...no hard hat on the tram tour...Is there a different tour ?

We were in Barbados in March and used James Tours and I recommend him very highly. We had 6 couples and James had two cars/vans so it was almost like a private tour. he is a great guide and tries to accommodate everyone's wishes.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147263-d2202816-r190613254-Barbados_Excursions_Catamaran_Turtle_Snorkeling_Tour-Bridgetown_Saint_Michael_Pa.html

We toured the island, had rum punches, feed the monkeys, saw the cliffs and he showed us all Barbados had to offer. he dropped several off at a beach, left them some beer and water and came back to pick them up when they wanted.

You can't go wrong here.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the info.

Does James do private tours?

I am not interested in going with strangers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ashland. I am interested in a private 3-4 hour tour and had previously come across the Glory Tours website. Can you tell me how was your experience and where did you go? Also If it is just me an my wife will they try and pair us with 2 other people or will it be just us?

Thanks!

Hi Ashland. I am interested in a private 3-4 hour tour and had previously come across the Glory Tours website. Can you tell me how was your experience and where did you go? Also If it is just me an my wife will they try and pair us with 2 other people or will it be just us?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Thanks!

We had a great experience with Glory Tours (this past May) an amazing driver/guide (Corey)...Glory Tours is one of the few private tour companies that can come right into the port terminal area to pick you up. They had a sign we checked in with them and boarded the shuttle type large comfortable van. We did the 1/2 day tour which included Harrison's Cave, Bathsheba & Welchman Hall Gully (to see the green monkey's)...On our particular tour we were with a group (randomly booked) of 6 other people...this varies I'm sure by date and time of your visit...At the end of our 1/2 day we dropped four off at the spot they were going to have lunch and then swim with the turtles (they had booked the whole day). We were then given the option of being dropped back into town or back at the pier. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this private tour :)

We had a great experience with Glory Tours (this past May) an amazing driver/guide (Corey)...Glory Tours is one of the few private tour companies that can come right into the port terminal area to pick you up. They had a sign we checked in with them and boarded the shuttle type large comfortable van. We did the 1/2 day tour which included Harrison's Cave, Bathsheba & Welchman Hall Gully (to see the green monkey's)...On our particular tour we were with a group (randomly booked) of 6 other people...this varies I'm sure by date and time of your visit...At the end of our 1/2 day we dropped four off at the spot they were going to have lunch and then swim with the turtles (they had booked the whole day). We were then given the option of being dropped back into town or back at the pier. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this private tour :)

I see. You didn't actually do a "Private Tour". You did the half day Touch of Splendor. There is a different option on their website for private tours which says Private 3-4 hr tour 2-4 people BDD 300.00. I figure with this option we can just get in the van and just go wherever we want. I filled out the online form but haven't heard back from them.

I see. You didn't actually do a "Private Tour". You did the half day Touch of Splendor. There is a different option on their website for private tours which says Private 3-4 hr tour 2-4 people BDD 300.00. I figure with this option we can just get in the van and just go wherever we want. I filled out the online form but haven't heard back from them.

Sorry...but I (loosely) consider any tour that isn't a "ship booked excursion" a private tour...We've also done many "private tours" where it has just been the 2 of us...but at this particular port and the places we wanted to go this was good enough. We saw exactly what we wanted and had them drop us back in town..to walk around a bit and have lunch...perfect for our first visit to Barbados.

You should hear back from them very soon...we did. Best of luck and enjoy !

Sorry...but I (loosely) consider any tour that isn't a "ship booked excursion" a private tour...We've also done many "private tours" where it has just been the 2 of us...but at this particular port and the places we wanted to go this was good enough. We saw exactly what we wanted and had them drop us back in town..to walk around a bit and have lunch...perfect for our first visit to Barbados.

You should hear back from them very soon...we did. Best of luck and enjoy !

Yes i did hear back from them. They sent me a link to make my payment. Thanks for all the information.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just did a tour with Glory Tours last week and I highly recommend them. They were fantastic. An extremely nice young lady met us at the pier (I wish I remembered her name), and our tour guide Charles was great as well. We did the Treasures of Barbados and ended up being the only two people on the tour. It was a wonderful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We used Carson Moore's tour company last time we were there:

http://www.iriebarbadostours.com

A nice man named Coleridge was our driver and took us everywhere we wanted to go. I don't recall the price but it was much more reasonable than the ship's tour and there were only 4 of us and we saw thing we wanted to see.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone have the link for Glory Tours? Also how long in advance should a tour be booked?

Gal

We used Glory tours back in November. I would highly recommend them. Fantastic customer service. And we (my husband and I) ended up being the only ones that booked the particular tour that we did, yet they didn't cancel it due to not enough people. So we ended up having a private tour. You can read more about it in my trip review if you like (link is in my signature).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app